Windows 10: Top of Edge Page

Discus and support Top of Edge Page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; How do I get these items to show at the top of the page in Edge as they do in all other Windows IE? File Edit View Favorites Tools Help 59885 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by huffman, Aug 11, 2016.

1. huffman Win User

Top of Edge Page

How do I get these items to show at the top of the page in Edge as they do in all other Windows IE?

File Edit View Favorites Tools Help

:)

huffman, Aug 11, 2016

2. edge browser opens up small at the top of the page and also at the bottom of the page after updating to 1703 today

edge browser opens up smaller than usual, internet explorer and google browsers bot open up properly

RandyHarville, Aug 11, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    edge browser opens up small at the top of the page and also at the bottom of the page after updating to 1703 today

What build?

lacrumb, Aug 11, 2016
  4. Top of Edge Page

There is no Menu Bar in Edge; You would need to use IE-11, if you want that feature.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 11, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Edge is a universal app, and Universal Apps don't have normal toolbars.

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  6. huffman Win User
    Retorical question. Who in their right mind would use Edge.

Now seriously how do I use IE 11?
    Can I delete Edge?

huffman, Aug 11, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    I don't see what's wrong with edge. It's fast, one of the most standards conformant browsers out there, and uses a lot less memory than IE and other browsers.

Yeah, the extensions are brand new and still a little flaky, but I really don't need them.

Mystere, Aug 11, 2016
  8. ARC1020 Win User

Top of Edge Page

Just to confirm, I take it you've played around with the symbols in the top right corner of Edge? Despite users needing to guess what the symbols actually do (due to being non-descriptive hieroglyphics), these will get you the majority of what was in the Internet Explorer File, Edit, etc. menu's (in particular, click the three dots symbol).

Where you really notice the difference between Edge and Internet Explorer though is not so much missing items from the File, Edit, etc. menu's, but Internet Explorer gives more general options and usability. For example you can't set Edge to automatically switch to new tabs when you open links in a new tab, you can't right-click and create desktop shortcuts to pages, you can't drag and drop shortcuts into Edge, you can't highlight text and search with your default search engine (such as Google) only Bing, you can't change pop-up settings to block ALL pop-up windows by default, there's no built-in RSS feeds, there's no right-click > Properties, you can't set all new tabs to open with your default homepage, etc. etc.

Edge is slowly getting better though, it's just a shame they're moving so slowly and decided to concentrate on things like reading lists and being able to draw on webpages, before addressing usability things that the browser it's supposed to be replacing already had.

Internet Explorer is still installed if you want to use it though. To get to it, click the 'Start' button > scroll to the bottom of the 'All Apps' section > Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer. Then right-click > Pin to Start.

To make it the default browser go to the Settings App > System > Default Apps > Web Browser > and set it to Internet Explorer

ARC1020, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    If you hover over them, tooltips do appear with what they do. I wouldn't say you have to "guess"

Mystere, Aug 12, 2016
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    I don't think users should have to mess around waiting for mouse-over tooltips to appear, all symbols should have text too.

Top of Edge Page [​IMG]

ARC1020, Aug 12, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    I disagree with that. I hate text on icons as it wastes space. The whole point of an icon is so you don't HAVE to read the text.

Mystere, Aug 12, 2016
  12. ARC1020 Win User
    We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO hieroglyphics are not very user friendly. Those icons are from Windows 10 Mobile and even with a small screen, don't waste space. Here's a rough desktop example:

Top of Edge Page [​IMG]

ARC1020, Aug 12, 2016
  13. huffman Win User

Top of Edge Page

Thanks ARC1020 I finally got the answer I was looking for. The reason I had asked the question is that my wife (knowing nothing about computers) went out and bought a laptop with Windows 10 on it then asked me to show her how to use it.

I had tried Windows 10 when it had been out about 3-4 months and found it to be useless (my opinion). I went back to windows 7 which I find to be a great OS.

I after messing with her new computer for 30-45 minutes I was tempted to slam it against the wall. I am NOT fan of laptops. At any rate we are stuck with the damn thing so I guess we will make the best of it.

huffman, Aug 12, 2016
  14. It is like all new things ----- one has to spend the quality time to find out what it can do for you!
    Those of us that started out our careers with NO computing aids available at all, and have transitioned from nothing to desktops to laptops and now smart devices know how to get the best out of each device.

WIN 10 on my desktops and laptops works perfectly well, BUT, I spent a good few hours understanding how it works, and then customising to suit my style of working.

PS: I find most smart devices extremely irritating because most of the sw and apps seem to be written around the belief that humans are no longer able to think for themselves and need to be led by the nose ....

But I have accepted that I need to learn and understand smart devices and adapt and work out what the devices can do for me.

Geoff Daniell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Top of Edge Page

1. Top of Edge Page - Similar Threads - Top Edge Page

2. Page jumping to the top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Page jumping to the top: I was sent a document to fill out. I downloaded it and saved it as a pdf. When I start filling it in and get halfway down the page, the page jumps to the top so I can’t see what I’m typing. Did I accidentally hit a key on my keyboard that’s doing this. Also, I keep my hands...
  3. Page jumping to the top

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Page jumping to the top: I was sent a document to fill out. I downloaded it and saved it as a pdf. When I start filling it in and get halfway down the page, the page jumps to the top so I can’t see what I’m typing. Did I accidentally hit a key on my keyboard that’s doing this. Also, I keep my hands...
  4. Edge on top

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Edge on top: After a recent Windows 10 update I have to click on the Edge tab after clicking on a link in my email; Edge used to automatically open on top of the email window before . How do I make that happen again? I keep clicking on the link thinking I missed it, then when I open Edge...
  5. Page jumps back to top

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Page jumps back to top: This is a crazy problem but it will drive you crazy, too. Imagine a picture folder with 100 pictures. That many icons won't fit on one page. So you scroll down to the picture you want to rename. Highlight that picture, and while you're thinking about what to name it, the...
  6. Bug with Top Sites icons on Edge's New Tabs page

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug with Top Sites icons on Edge's New Tabs page: Hello, I have set Edge to open a new Tabs page showing my popular websites as icons that I can click on. Usually the icons should look like this: [ATTACH] However, for some reason lately, Edge is showing the icons as follows: [ATTACH] Also, notice that YouTube doesn't...
  7. Tabbed pages on top.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tabbed pages on top.: I have pages on top of my screen and do not know where the tab button is o turn that feature off. It is very annoying when it happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tabbed-pages-on-top/63845b32-ea82-4e30-8ea5-3e25c40a2a38
  8. Edge banner at the top of my page.

Edge banner at the top of my page.: How do I remove the Edge banner at the top of my page?It takes up too much room from my Word program. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-banner-at-the-top-of-my-page/91e1dda9-50a8-4f79-ada4-3ae8ac2c061b
  9. top of browser pages hidden - chrome and edge

top of browser pages hidden - chrome and edge: Running windows 10 - using edge and chrome browsers Top of browser page disappears so navigation bar is not accessible. I've tried resetting the browser apps and that works for a while, but then the top of the page disappears again. It actually cuts off part of the page...
  10. Bar near Top of page?

in Browsers and Email
    Bar near Top of page?: Near the Top of the page is a Bar that contains most of the Sites I visit regularly! However one site in particular I use most (My Internet Service provider email account) only shows in the Downloads list but won't stay put after reboot/power off, after I had previously...