Windows 10: Toshiba Laptop sleeps, does not awaken. USB fault??

Discus and support Toshiba Laptop sleeps, does not awaken. USB fault?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to find a way to debug and resolve a Sleep/No-wake issue with Satellite Laptop, Haswell i7, fresh new Windows 10 x64 home ed on a new SSD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Nov 29, 2016.

1. cognus Win User

Toshiba Laptop sleeps, does not awaken. USB fault??

I am trying to find a way to debug and resolve a Sleep/No-wake issue with Satellite Laptop, Haswell i7, fresh new Windows 10 x64 home ed on a new SSD. My guess is the issue is most likely being caused by either/both a USB wireless mouse [tried 2 different ones: GE and Logitech] or an External HDD. The user, a bookkeeper, walks away to attend to other duties, returns to find it comatose. Only way to get working again is the hard way.

I have worked on it too much and have resolved all the typical device driver issues. I see nothing remarkable either in the Events logs or Device manager, though I have not taken the labor to open EVERY SINGLE sub-device in the system to look at logs of its individual installation. In my shop, I did not test with the same/similar USB devices the customer uses, but never saw it go into the coma. I have fetched it while it was in the coma-state, and it told no tales: it wouldn't awaken; a single-press of the power button had no effect, the 'power on' led was lit steady. The usb wireless mouse device was in. There were errors in the log tracking the unexpected power fail, but nothing related to devices that I could see. I have tried it in various power scenarios but the result is the same regardless [unless we prevent sleep altogether - which is not a good solution]

If the USB mouse transceiver is left in its port, it typically will be inoperable when the system restarts. It must be removed, reinserted to get coherent. What is that telling us?
    please help. Microsoft can't solve it. been there

one thing that bugs me: Under USB devices in Dev Manager, the top-listed hub device is set with a generic Microsoft Driver, circa 2006. I would expect to see an Intel Composite 3.0 Device there, of current vintage driver. Removing it goes nowhere - it will load the generic driver and no update is found suitable. ????
    Am I grasping straws?

thank you for collective wisdom *Confused

:)

cognus, Nov 29, 2016

2. Awaking my laptop when opening the cover

I have an HP laptop dv7.

In Windows 7, my laptop would awaken when opening the cover.

In windows 10, this feature does not work: I must press the on/off button to awaken the computer from sleep mode.

Any way of activating this feature in Windows 10?

AndréRoy99, Nov 29, 2016
  3. Surface Pro 2, windows 10, won't stay asleep

I have just tried sleep mode with my USB mouse and chip removed from the tablet. NO PROBLEMS! Tried three sleep sessions with no awakening.

I reinstalled the USB mouse - guess what - sleep still works OK and does not awake after the previous short time.

Albatros67, Nov 29, 2016
Thema:

Toshiba Laptop sleeps, does not awaken. USB fault??

1. Toshiba Laptop sleeps, does not awaken. USB fault?? - Similar Threads - Toshiba Laptop sleeps

2. Windows keeps awakening from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps awakening from sleep mode: I built a new PC for Christmas and installed the latest version of Windows 10. When I place the computer in sleep mode it will awaken after an hour or so. Sometimes it will eventually go back to sleep but then awakens again after thirty minutes or so. How can I stop this from...
  3. Windows keeps awakening from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows keeps awakening from sleep mode: I built a new PC for Christmas and installed the latest version of Windows 10. When I place the computer in sleep mode it will awaken after an hour or so. Sometimes it will eventually go back to sleep but then awakens again after thirty minutes or so. How can I stop this from...
  4. Windows keeps awakening from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Toshiba C660 Laptop does not wake from sleep on Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba C660 Laptop does not wake from sleep on Windows 10 1909: Hi everyone, I've been trying to setup an old Toshiba C660 laptop with Windows 10 (version 1909). The one problem that I've encountered is that the laptop does not resume from sleep. The fan spins and power light comes on, but there is nothing (no backlight) on the screen...
  6. Computer awakens from 'Sleep'

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer awakens from 'Sleep': Hello,Recently I have noticed, I put my computer to "sleep" when I go for a long break, like sitting to lunch or coffee break. When I click on the 'sleep' button on the 'power' it goes to 'sleep' (I hear it stopped) When I come back to the computer I hear its working. (By the...
  7. USB faults

USB faults: Ahoy! I have a minor problem. I have an android tablet in which I use a USB flash drive to transfer to my Windows 10 (1909 Build 18363.720) computer and back again as need be. The problem is every time I stick the USB drive in a port (any port) Windows 10 tells there is a...
  8. Sleep mode awakening with blank screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep mode awakening with blank screen: After updating my Windows 10 to 1809, if I leave for a few minutes it goes into sleep mode and on awakening the CPU restarts with blank screen. I have to restart to have a display. I reversed to earlier version 1803 and it works fine. Any solution to update to 1809? Please...
  9. No USB ports working on toshiba laptop

No USB ports working on toshiba laptop: Hi guys, Got an old Toshiba laptop, satellite l500d pslk0a-00r009 Its old and doesn't officially support win10. However I have it installed and everything works fine except USB. All the ports seem completely dead, plugging in a USB mouse I get no light on the mouse. USB...
  10. Sleeps, Cannot awaken. USB Mouse???

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeps, Cannot awaken. USB Mouse???: I have a problematic Toshiba P55W-b5224, the HDD for which failed, I started over with Clean Install Win 10 on a new SSD. Issues thinned out mostly except one very annoying issue: The user is mouse-dependent and uses a GE branded USB wireless mouse with a small USB...