Windows 10: Total screen freeze after some uodates?

Discus and support Total screen freeze after some uodates? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been experiencing a total freeze of my desktop computer at seemingly random times? The freeze occurs without any warning and leaves no error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Willabong Win User

Total screen freeze after some uodates?

I have been experiencing a total freeze of my desktop computer at seemingly random times? The freeze occurs without any warning and leaves no error message in the event viewer, but a process of elimination has hit on what is causing the freeze!
    Every time it happens it coincides with a check for updates, I know this is the cause because Windows always records the time a search for updates was checked, and this always matches the freeze!
    The only thing to do when the freeze occurs is to close Windows by holding the computers start button in until the PC powers down, then re-starting.
    The freeze only happens now and again, and most updates complete without causing one!

What I am hoping for is a fix for this problem, or at least to share the cause of the freeze for others to benefit.*Smile

:)

Willabong, Dec 20, 2017

2. Laptop keeps freezing

My screen freezes sometimes during videos,my laptop goes off suddenly sometimes

even after i just restarted it and sometimes just totally freezes and makes a buzzing sound till i turn it off with the power button

i use a hp pavilion 15 notebook

please help

AustinBosola, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Still getting the full system freeze on Anniversary Update, is there any hope?

I'm still getting a total system freeze after login on the latest Anniversary update that claims to have fixed the freeze issue. I tried a clean boot and it still freezes after login. I've used the update assistant 3 or 4 times (Because the automatic windows
    update always fails), and still get the freezing issue. In one case it even froze on the "We've just updated your PC" intro screen.

Will the be another update to this update that addresses this? I've seen on other forums that I'm not the only one still getting freezes.

I'm tempted to reset my PC after the update is applied, but I'm pretty sure I can't rollback after that, and if the machine still freezes after a reset I think I'm totally boned? This is a brand new motherboard on a high end system. Not sure why I'm having
    these issues. It does have 2 drives--an M2 drive, and a platter drive that is only used to store backups of the M2, BTW.

acknickulous, Dec 20, 2017
  4. Total screen freeze after some uodates?

Hi Willabong.

Have you tried the update trouble shooter? Start > Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot

Can I ask what version and build you on, Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  5. Willabong Win User
    1709 fully updated. Windows Home.

Willabong, Dec 20, 2017
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have noticed some freezes too on one of my three PCs (work). The only thing that was changed between non-crashing and crashing period was updating nVidia drivers. I removed these with DDU and left WU download an older version. So far, so good.

Do you have an nVidia card? Then you could give this a shot.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 20, 2017
  7. Willabong Win User
    ATI Radeon ..... But the problem is not my PC as such, it is the re-start after an update that freezes before it can be implemented. It's not really a big problem once you realise what is causing it, because I would have to re-start anyway!

Willabong, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Total screen freeze after some uodates?

I'm not following, my apologizes.

I thought it froze when it did the checked for updates. Now I think I understand that if it checks for updates and there are none everything is good. If it does check and does find one, it does the installation and instead of scheduling a restart it freezes.

Are you using Window Defender or something else or maybe two something elses?

Is anything being recorded in Reliability History?

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Willabong Win User
    No messages or erors anywhere on the system? And the freeze happens randomly, most updates that need a re-start are completed without problems.but occasionally an update tries to re-start the system and ends in a freeze. The only way out of the freeze is a system shut down, then re-starting the system almost always results in the system configuring updates!
    My main reason in making this post is to help others with the same problem to realise the cause!

Willabong, Dec 21, 2017
  10. Okay.

Did you try the update trouble shooter?

What AV products are you using?

Do you have any other products for cleaning, privacy or tweaking?

Caledon Ken, Dec 21, 2017
  11. Willabong Win User
    Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. (nothing is removed until I check each item first).
    Yes and the trouble shooter found nothing of interest.
    I don't use cleaning, privacy or Tweaking tools!

Willabong, Dec 21, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    See if you can open task manager with control alt delete before you expect the problem or while you are having the problem and report the numbers that you see for CPU, Memory, and DIsk.

Another option is to use Windows performance recorder (WPR)
    or Microsoft Systernals to capture the problem.

This log collector is used in another forum.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    Post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting.

zbook, Dec 21, 2017
  13. Willabong Win User

There is no real reliable way to predict when this will happen! So recording the problem would be very difficult. I may just have to live with it.
    As I have already stated, it is not a problem worth worrying about, because when it occurs a re-boot cures it, and as the freeze is related to re-starting, all I am doing is finishing the process!

Willabong, Dec 21, 2017
  14. Yes intermittent problems are always hard to track. Would rather a solid fail so you at least know you resolved it.

I've seen it written to only use MS AV (Defender) if having issues with updates. Of course I wouldn't expect anything less. *Wink

I would try removing one of your products and trying for a period of time. If problem occurs reinstate and then unload other.

Of course you could as you said just live with it.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Total screen freeze after some uodates? - Similar Threads - Total screen freeze

2. Screen Freezing after some ldle time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Freezing after some ldle time.: I am using Asus X510UF , recently i upgraded to SATA 2.5 ssd, After i reinstalled clean windows , but then i find my laptop randomly freezes , some time need to hard shutdown , all driver are up to date ,but don't know why it happening....
  3. Screen Freezing after some ldle time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Freezing after some ldle time.: I am using Asus X510UF , recently i upgraded to SATA 2.5 ssd, After i reinstalled clean windows , but then i find my laptop randomly freezes , some time need to hard shutdown , all driver are up to date ,but don't know why it happening....
  4. Screen Freezing after some ldle time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Total laptop freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total laptop freeze: While working in Autocad, the laptop freezes. The only thing that helps is a hard reset.These are the errors:First error [ Name] IPF [ Guid] {d3cb85d1-d61c-4bcf-9674-7910ee54d6af} EventID 17 Version 0 Level 2 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x8000000000000000 - TimeCreated [...
  6. Total laptop freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Total laptop freeze: While working in Autocad, the laptop freezes. The only thing that helps is a hard reset.These are the errors:First error [ Name] IPF [ Guid] {d3cb85d1-d61c-4bcf-9674-7910ee54d6af} EventID 17 Version 0 Level 2 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x8000000000000000 - TimeCreated [...
  7. Windows uodate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows uodate: Everytime windows update I have to reinstall the flight sim. Is there a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-uodate/9edd6632-2f47-49b1-b690-de47276b8e87
  8. Help! Mouse not working after windows uodate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! Mouse not working after windows uodate: Tried everything from uninstalling drivers restarting computer. Trying a different mouse. Same problem mouse keeps going to the left side of my monitor and staying there. Can't revert back to last update either. Edit: I'm on version. 1903 submitted by /u/KalypsoG [link]...
  9. Fix driver problem after windows uodate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fix driver problem after windows uodate: Yesterday i updated my laptop (update and shutdown) and today when i turned it on, the drivers were messed up. I noticed the audio driver problem. Troubleshooting did nothing. I uninstalled the driver amd still. I reverted to the last system restore point and still. What...
  10. Total Computer Freeze

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Total Computer Freeze: So my computer started running a bit slower then it should be, at the point where my computer to open would take half a min, so i did fresh install. So i left installation overnight, i wake up in the morning and it say "Hi there" installation menu where you choose Country,...