Windows 10: Touchpad Click Lock

Discus and support Touchpad Click Lock in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a brand new Windows 10 ACER Aspire E5 series laptop computer back in February. I have not had any issues at all with it. But today I have this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AUTiger1, Aug 5, 2016.

1. AUTiger1 Win User

Touchpad Click Lock

I bought a brand new Windows 10 ACER Aspire E5 series laptop computer back in February. I have not had any issues at all with it. But today I have this very annoying issue. When I lightly tap my touchpad on links instead of opening the link like it had been doing previously all it does is highlight the link and drag it all over the screen. The same issue happens when I try to switch tabs. It locks onto the tab and I have to click again for it to release. This is very annoying when all I'm wanting to do is switch tabs.

My touchpad is one of those multigester ones and I have turned off the following options
    • Allow double-tab and drag
    • Use a two finger tab for right click
    • Use a two finger drag to scroll
    • Use a two finger pinch to zoom

I don't know why it started doing this today. I also have clicklock turned off under additional mouse options.

:)

AUTiger1, Aug 5, 2016

2. touchpad sticks in DRAG mode, touching buttons moves cursor

There are two issues that remain unresolved, both Microsoft Windows issues.

1st) There is an Americans with disabilities act issue, specifically that touchpad hardware has evolved to place buttons under the active touchpad, so it is not possible to click a button without also being in contact with the cursor moving function of the
    touchpad. For people with disability (myself included) such as hand injury, it is not possible to click a button without also moving the cursor. This is also try of elderly people (myself included) whose hands simply shake or unsteady. This is resolvable with
    a currently non existent ease of access setting which would cause the software NOT to move the cursor when touching the button portion of the touchpad. This is a common problem affecting millions of users, which is unaddressed in the software provided by Microsoft.

2nd) There is a bug in the settings of MOUSE which affects behavior of TOUCHPAD causing drag state to become locked. Note that although there are similarities between mouse and touchpad devices, both can be attached at once. The settings for MOUSE may be
    set deliberately in ways that are different than the desired behavior of TOUCHPAD, and so MOUSE settings and TOUCHPAD settings should be independent of one another.

Neither of these issues is resolved, as both require software fixes from Microsoft Windows.

The issue of drag state becoming locked on in TOUCHPAD can be prevented by unchecking the click lock option of MOUSE. This is not a fix, as one could well desire the click lock option when using a mouse, and still want a well behaved TOUCHPAD. (my situation
    exactly).

randomstuff, Aug 5, 2016
  3. how do i turn off the touchpad on windows 10

Open Start > Settings > Devices > Touchpad

Toggle off Touchpad

or

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Human Interface Device

Right click HID Compliant Touch Pad

Click Disable

Your keyboard might also have a keyboard command for disabling the touchpad. Mine is Function key + F7. Look among the Function keys for a block or lock symbol.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 5, 2016
  4. AUTiger1 Win User

Touchpad Click Lock

Here's a screen shot of the issue I'm having. I lightly tapped to click on the link Friday Night Lights Clips and instead of it opening the link it highlights the link and I have to us my left click button to get rid of it.

Touchpad Click Lock [​IMG]

AUTiger1, Aug 5, 2016
  5. AUTiger1 Win User
    I restarted my computer among other things and the problem seems to be fixed.

AUTiger1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Touchpad Click Lock

1. Touchpad Click Lock - Similar Threads - Touchpad Click Lock

2. touchpad clicking for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    touchpad clicking for no reason: when i move my cursor around the screen my touchpad seems to be clicking for no reason even if i dont press it and when i try to switch tabs i accidently close it due to this issue...
  3. touchpad clicking for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    touchpad clicking for no reason: when i move my cursor around the screen my touchpad seems to be clicking for no reason even if i dont press it and when i try to switch tabs i accidently close it due to this issue...
  4. Set up touchpad for click lock like mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up touchpad for click lock like mouse: Can a touchpad without buttons currently set up with double tap and drag, be changed to longer tap and drag so it is the same as the mouse click lock setting. There does not seem to be a way of programming this in the way the mouse menu allows eg with a separate control for...
  5. Set up touchpad for click lock like mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up touchpad for click lock like mouse: Can a touchpad without buttons currently set up with double tap and drag, be changed to longer tap and drag so it is the same as the mouse click lock setting. There does not seem to be a way of programming this in the way the mouse menu allows eg with a separate control for...
  6. click lock

in Windows 10 Support
    click lock: What is the secret to turning off click lock?? I’ve tried unchecking the box and rebootingbut it keeps coming back. Is there a wayto permantly turn it off? WINDOWS 10 154691
  7. TouchPad click

in Windows 10 Customization
    TouchPad click: How can I stop the click sound when I use the TouchPad? There is nothing in the settings for this. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-click/89e388d2-5054-4142-8ac3-be825c6c8e77
  8. Reverse clicks on touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reverse clicks on touchpad: Is it possible to reverse the right and left clicks on the touchpad? I see how to do it on a mouse but not for touchpad. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/reverse-clicks-on-touchpad/3c4fb286-2398-4ff1-b35c-b8caef612eae
  9. Touchpad will move, but not click.

Touchpad will move, but not click.: Hello, My cursor randomly froze and would not move today, so I restarted my laptop to see if that would help. That time, the cursor disappeared completely, so I got my plug-in mouse and tried rolling back and updating the drivers for the touchpad. I got it now to where the...
  10. TouchPad Mouse not clicking

TouchPad Mouse not clicking: After upgrading to windows 10 my touchpad was not working, after googling around i saw someone say that windows 10 turns it off by default so i went through the device manager and turned it back on but now it is unable to click on anything and i can't use the two finger...