Windows 10: Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!

Discus and support Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Being Cajun I sometimes think as slow as I talk *Redface so could the OP explain exactly what he meant by this: "I then tried this approach - Repair... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asus2016, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Bat 1 Win User

Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!

Being Cajun I sometimes think as slow as I talk *Redface so could the OP explain exactly what he meant by this: "I then tried this approach - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials - using an ISO file downloaded to a USB drive. However, when I mounted and ran the ISO"

Are you saying you mounted the ISO from the USB drive, or did you move it to the desktop and mount it before trying the upgrade ?

Bat 1, Jan 14, 2018
  2. zbook New Member

When performing an in place upgrade repair the Windows 10 iso can have 3 locations:
    1) USB drive
    2) Optical drive
    3) Desktop

To perform an in place upgrade repair you can open file explorer > click on this PC > locate the windows 10 iso > launch setup or setup.exe > follow the text and images in this link:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Jan 14, 2018
  3. asus2016 Win User
    Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I was following the instructions from the link I referenced, that zbook references above as well. The ISO image was created on an external USB drive, then that image, still on the external drive, was "mounted," where it appeared, in the target computer being updated, as Drive F.

asus2016, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Bat 1 Win User

You could give it another shot or two with the 1709 ISO on the desktop. First just by mounting, then if that doesn't work, 7zipping the ISO open in a new folder. If you can post the log zbook mentioned, someone other than me might be able to give better advice. You possibly may need to update some drivers or have you already checked that ?

Bat 1, Jan 14, 2018
  5. asus2016 Win User
    It's now all in the hands of the repair shop. I had tried enough, that didn't work, but at least I had broken nothing to that point. I figured I was getting to the point where I'd make a mess I couldn't clean up, so offloaded it. Looking forward, once it's fixed, to hearing what they did.

asus2016, Jan 14, 2018
  6. Bat 1 Win User
    You're wiser that most people I know *Smile

Bat 1, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Smart move:
    After two days of hair-pulling it's time to say "enough is enough".

Best of luck.

margrave55, Jan 15, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Not unless your name is @Kari (our redoubtable TenForums Team Member). He just spent 4+ days getting Insider Preview Build 17074 to work on his laptop. Here are links to the story of what it took to fix his problems, in two parts. If anything, this just underscores the OP's sagacity in crying "Uncle" sooner!
    Part 1: https://win10.guru/insider-build-upg...n-as-a-laptop/
    https://win10.guru/the-tale-of-a-bri...ptop-part-two/
    It's amazing what Windows makes us do sometimes!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 15, 2018
  9. tonez Win User
    shameless plug and why not *Smile

tonez, Jan 15, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    @tonez
    I don't have that kind of patience or persistence. I'd have clean installed the Current Branch version (1709) after 1 day, and lived with it until the next Insider Preview came out. It's a matter of temperament and inclination, to a large extent. I'm too impatient, and I have too much else to do, so I simply CAN'T spend 4 days rebuilding a system. I learned a lot from watching Kari go through, and from editing his work to report on his experiences. Glad you found it interesting enough to comment on, at least. Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  11. Thanks Ed.

I'm bookmarking that link so that I can use it the next time someone claims, "W10 is perfect and nothing ever goes wrong".

lehnerus2000, Jan 16, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    #Lehnerus2000 Heh! Heh! By the time he'd finished I believe Kari's attitude was more like "W10 is perfect BECAUSE so much goes wrong, thereby providing lengthy if not infinite opportunities for entertainment and engagement..." I take this as a variation on the old joke: "Q: Why are you beating your head against the wall? A: Because it feels so good when I stop!"
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  13. asus2016 Win User

Wow... sometimes "upgrade the system bios" means just that.

My local repair shop fixed the problems... by, yes, upgrading the system BIOS. Apparently, Build 1709, or something over the summer of 2017, would not work until we did so, and we hadn't. It had something to do with the graphics processors I think.

Bless the shop, which saw the diagnostics I had done, and listened to me telling what I'd done, and so only charged me $40 for this.

Marking "solved" for obvious - and happy - reasons.

asus2016, Jan 16, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    Glad it worked out. Needing to upgrade the BIOS and issues with graphics drivers are two things a few face with 1709.

dalchina, Jan 16, 2018
  15. *Roflmao2

With W10 it seems that you may as well:
    • Create a new text file
    • Lay your head on the keyboard and roll it from side to side for a while
    • Save the file
    • Try to install it as an update
    The chances of it working are probably just as good as anything you get via Windows Update. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Jan 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! - Similar Threads - Trainwreck errors related

2. Ethernet problem that seems to be related to KB5005565

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet problem that seems to be related to KB5005565: Windows 10 FamilleVersion 21H1Installé le 2021-01-05Build 19043.1165Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Here's the problem, suddenly, internet stop working on a desktop which is connected to a router with an RJ45. At first I tough it was a problem with the network...
  3. Blue Screen seemingly discord related.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue Screen seemingly discord related.: So I've been getting a lot of blue screens for a good long while. The thing is they seem to mostly happen when I'm on voice on discord. I have the minidumps here https://1drv.ms/u/s!BBVow4ZVbpDS4Wq4SYE6TYRTht42?e=KALI4Bplease please tell me if there is anything more I need to...
  4. related to windows update error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    related to windows update error: hello i am getting a error on microsoft defender antivirus update 0x80070643 acctually i am getting the error on the same update the other update done but the antivirus updaate shows this error 0x80070643...
  5. update related error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update related error: I am getting update related error every time I try to update my Machine .Error Code is 0x80070663... please help with your valuable solutions.. thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-related-error/134711b9-90db-40fa-bd30-aa4a09356504
  6. PC will not sleep - related to last Win10 update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC will not sleep - related to last Win10 update?: My PC will not sleep. PowerCFG suggests it's MoUsoCoreWorker.exe which I believe is about updating Windows. MoUsoCoreWorker.exe is a fundamental system file so deleting it is not really an option. All my other settings relating to sleeping seem correct. Any suggestions...
  7. Win10 updates seem to be blocked

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 updates seem to be blocked: Greatings, I was trying to update Win10. Unfortunately, in Update I don't have the button "Check updates". It's written : "Status : installation 64%. Functionality update to Win10, version 1903." If I excute the winver command, I know that my Win10 version is 1803. I'd...
  8. Crashes seemingly related to graphics drivers.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashes seemingly related to graphics drivers.: My development laptop has been having trouble recently when working with anything that requires a fair amount of graphics processing power (Unreal Engine, gaming, etc). Performance also seems somewhat worse, but it may be related to whatever is failing. The actual blue screen...
  9. Audio issues, seemingly not driver related.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio issues, seemingly not driver related.: So, I transitioned flawlessly to Windows 10 on release day in 2015, everything was working flawlessly, beside the odd intermittent bug of little relevance. Now 1 year later things have been a lot less enjoyable. During this time of consistent updates, I've had numerous...
  10. Random crashes and (seemingly) related issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Random crashes and (seemingly) related issues: I've been experiencing for a while an issue where my laptop will randomly freeze completely. At that point I'm left with no alternative but to hard reboot the laptop by holding the power button. Usually when this happens, any sound that might have been playing will freeze as...