Windows 10: Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10

Discus and support Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My compuiter was running "Windows Live Mail" under Win7 quite(?) happily. Then Microsoft persuaded me to upgrade to Win10, which aslo ran quite(?)... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Robin Clay, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10

My compuiter was running "Windows Live Mail" under Win7 quite(?) happily. Then Microsoft persuaded me to upgrade to Win10, which aslo ran quite(?) happily until last December.Then things went pear-shaped. The upshot was, I went out & bought a new computer, running Win10.
    I cannot get "Windows Live Mail" - it is "obsolete" and unobtainable. So as I have Outlook, I have started to use that.
    BUT... I had saved onto an external drive the entire "Users" folder. So I can SEE all my old e-mails, in their correct folders, and if I click on one of the *.eml files I can read it in NotePad.

Is there any way I can transfer them to, say, Outlook ?
    I omitted to export my AddressBook. I have searched and searched, and eventually came to the conclusion that all my "Contacts" are in K:\20180214 WinX\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts\Default\15.5\DBStore\contacts.edbBut HOW do I get them out of there ? The file is not an ASCII file, i.e. I cannot use NotePad.Yes, it "would be nice" to simply export the file directly into, say, Outlook, but MicroSoft hasn't made that possible.What other program can read such a file ?

:)

Robin Clay, Mar 11, 2018

2. transfer PhotoStudio6

How do I transfer PhotoStudio6 from my old Win7 PC to new Win10 laptop?

CeleEveland, Mar 11, 2018
  3. 7thSense Win User
    Contacts Transfer from Pnoe Win7 to PC

Your contacts are always in sync with your Microsoft Account, so you can always reach them from your PC here:

Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email

If you need to export them to a file, choose Manage > Export on that site.

7thSense, Mar 11, 2018
  4. essenbe Win User

Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10

If you have the downloaded installer from previous installations, you can download WLM. If you can boot your old system everything can be exported to a CSV format and be imported into outlook.

essenbe, Mar 11, 2018
  5. Thank you for your response.
    I guess I just might have the "installer" - but can you tell me what it's called ?
    The old computer will not start Windows - not even from an .ISO USB :-( All it runs is MS DOS. And THAT tells me all the data files are still there - possibly including that installer.

Robin Clay, Mar 11, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    If I suspect the files can be recovered I boot to a LiveDVD version of Linux such as Linux Mint to access the drive and locate such files then Copy them to a USB drive of sufficient capacity. WLM/Windows Live Mail was part of Windows Live Essentials with 2012 being the last version. Might be able to still get it, try here:
    Download windows live essentials

Berton, Mar 12, 2018
  7. slicendice, Mar 12, 2018
  8. essenbe Win User

To answer your question, I think the installer is called wlsetup.exe. It's the installer for Windows essentials. All of your current accounts are in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

essenbe, Mar 12, 2018
  9. Thank you for that - but I have found it in the "Download" folder on the external drive to which I had copied "everything". I ran it, and it works - i.e. I can send and receive e-mails.

But the old ones ? That's another story ! Ditto the address book.

Thanks again

Robin Clay, Mar 19, 2018
  10. I can boot, but only into MS DOS (Cmd), not into Windows.

Thank you for your response.

Robin Clay, Mar 19, 2018
  11. See above.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I found all the files, and all the folders, holding lots of *.eml files, each of which I can read with NotePad.

What I had expected to do was simply to copy those from the external drive into the same locations on the new computer's C: drive, and Voila !

Alas not !

Basically, that screwed everything up, and I had to re-install windows.

I got an error upon boot-up - "Page fault in non-paged area" - that I only managed to cure (after DAYS of struggle) by using CHKDSK !

Thanks again for your help - you and everyone !

Robin Clay, Mar 19, 2018
  12. essenbe Win User
    If you replace the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail with the one on your backup drive, all your old emails and folders will be there. You will only have to put in the password for each email account. It shouldn't mess anything up unless your backup is corrupted. After installing WLM, you have to open it to make it create the Windows live mail folder mentioned above. Then close the WLM program completely. Just copy that C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail to your desktop, just in case. Then delete the Windows Live Mail folder from C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail and replace it with the Windows Live Mail folder from the backup. Everything except contacts (I think) should be there. I've done it numerous times and never had a problem. The only issue could be if your backup folder is missing parts or is corrupted or if however you opened them with notepad altered something. What method did you use to make the backups?

essenbe, Mar 19, 2018
  13. Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10

Ah. Therein lies a mistake.

I fired up WLM afresh, and THEN copied JUST the e-mail folders.

So I guess now I must "export" ALL the current e-mails that I have received since then, and THEN delete the entire LiveMail folder, and copy the old one to there; and THEN import the current stuff.

In Windows Explorer I just dragged the entire "USERS" folder across to the external drive. Also the three "Programs" folders, and the WINDOWS folder, and I also exported the Registry.

I'll give it a go.

But it's the importing of the current e-mails that slightly concerns me now, as WLM fetched a stack off the server, so there will be a lot of duplicates..

... AND,,, as WLM is "obsolete", I guess this is a gi=ood time to ditch in in favour of, say, Outlook. "You would have thought" that migration should be simple, but Oh, No !

"Everyone" uses e-mail, so there OUGHT to be a standard format common to all programs - like there is with GEDCOMs ...

Robin Clay, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Transfer Contacts from Win7 to Win10 - Similar Threads - Transfer Contacts Win7

2. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  3. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  4. User Accounts Backup from Win7&Transfer to Win10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Accounts Backup from Win7&Transfer to Win10: A friend of mine is mothballing his 8 yr. old Windows7 PC and just bought a new Windows10 PC.I am in charge of the task in backing up all his files and folders especially the "Three User Accounts" he had on his old computer. What is the best software that's reliable and good...
  5. Data Transfer Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Transfer Win7 to Win10: What options do I have for multiple PCs to transfer data from PC to PC? PC Mover is not an option for licensing multiple PCs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-transfer-win7-to-win10/4b17bd7b-981e-4e67-b11a-240ad288aff4"
  6. How i can transfer settings - programs from win7 to win10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How i can transfer settings - programs from win7 to win10?: Hi. Is there any OFFICIAL from Microsoft way to transfer all my win7 apps & settings to a new windows 10 installed system? If there is how i can do that? For example i use mozilla firefox 68.0.2 with settings and plugins. Can i transfer that program with all settings to...
  7. Transfering old emails from Outlook 07, Win7 to new win10 build

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Transfering old emails from Outlook 07, Win7 to new win10 build: My current build is Windows 10 and have installed MS Outlook 2016 Pro Plus. I have a backup copy of my Outlook 2007 PST file from my previous computer that had Windows 7 Home. In fact, I have my old hard drive with all my MS Office 2007 files on it. My old emails, up to...
  8. Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?: I built my last computer in 2012 using Win7. I upgraded to Win10 when it became available. I'm now going to build a new machine with only a few parts from the current one. The old machine will be decommissioned, and it's SSD will become a data drive for the new machine which...
  9. transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?

in Browsers and Email
    transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?: I need to transfer saved emails and all favorites from a win7 pc to a new win10 pc. How do I do that, using a usb drive? Thanks 20831
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i export email contacts to win 10 from win7

2. how to transfer win7 to win10

3. transfer email contacts from win7 to win10