Windows 10: Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

Discus and support Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not sure where to post this, but... I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker. Question, if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sygnus21, Feb 28, 2017.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

Not sure where to post this, but...

I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker.

Question, if I encrypt my drive, as long as I’m logged in to the encrypted PC, I assume I can still transfer files and folders between encrypted and non-encrypted drives without issue?

Also, any performance issues with encrypted drives?

Thanks.

:)

sygnus21, Feb 28, 2017
  2. JimWynne Win User

W10 Bitlocker indicates W7 OS drive?

When files that have been encrypted by Bitlocker are transferred, they are decrypted in the process. So the answer is that the backed-up files won't be encrypted. This doesn't apply in the case of a system image. If you image an encrypted drive, the
    image will be encrypted when restored.

JimWynne, Feb 28, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Encrypted word document - "user does not have access privileges"

It appears that you created a double-whammy by both encrypting/password-protecting the files
    and encrypting the folder, which serves no purpose if the files are encrypted. It's the encrypting of the folder that's causing your issue because normally Office files that are password-protected are transferable. If they are important documents,
    surely you have backups.

JimWynne, Feb 28, 2017
Thema:

Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

1. Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives? - Similar Threads - Transfer files between

2. Booting to non encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting to non encrypted drive: I copied my system to a 2TB SSD drive 2 years ago and it worked fine. All my games and Office software is on the 2TB drive. Yesterday, I had to recover deleted files from the old SSD 1TB drive. It asked for the Bitlocker Security Code and once I entered it, the system booted...
  3. Booting to non encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting to non encrypted drive: I copied my system to a 2TB SSD drive 2 years ago and it worked fine. All my games and Office software is on the 2TB drive. Yesterday, I had to recover deleted files from the old SSD 1TB drive. It asked for the Bitlocker Security Code and once I entered it, the system booted...
  4. Booting to non encrypted drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Encrypting a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting a file: I tried this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-encrypt-a-file-1131805c-47b8-2e3e-a705-807e13c10da7But after I encrypted a file and then sent it to another computer, it can be opened directly as if it was not encrypted.Why?Is it encrypted on my disk only?How...
  6. Encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted files: My windows drive got damaged and i had to reload windows. Now i cant open my encrypted files and cant install the certificate. It says the file is invalid for use as the following. Personal Information Exchange. Is there something i can do about it....
  7. Copying and transferring encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying and transferring encrypted files: I am trying to move a series of encrypted image and pdf files used within a FileMaker Pro database from my Dell Windows 10 Pro 2015 laptop to a flash drive and then to my Dell Window 10 Home 2020 desktop computer. Each of the file icons have a little lock image on them. I was...
  8. File Encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Encryption: I was encrypting files on my laptop which has windows 10 however, I had accidentally stopped the encryption and after I checked I lost almost all of my files. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-encryption/bf1d6484-d95a-4c54-8fe3-80d605a2e0b4
  9. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  10. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to transfer files without bitlocker encryption

2. how to transfer pictures from encrypted to non-encrypted computer