Windows 10: Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine

Discus and support Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I've searched and can't seem to find an answer for this: is it possible to move a virtual machine in Oracle's VirtualBox to a physical machine?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by tbergman, Jul 12, 2017.

1. tbergman Win User

Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine

Hi,

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer for this: is it possible to move a virtual machine in Oracle's VirtualBox to a physical machine?

Thanks

:)

tbergman, Jul 12, 2017

2. I just bought new HP Pavilion laptop last week and it came with Windows 10 OS , but I want to have Windows 7 OS installed in it

Sure.

You could install VirtualBox or something similar and install Windows 7 onto it. I'd suggest a bridged network controller and I would not expect it to be as robust as if you ran it on the physical machine (amongst other limitations.)

Shenan Stanley, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. You can take a disk image and then write it to an actual drive the problem then is drivers as they will all be wrong if your lucky Windows will find new drivers

Samuria, Jul 12, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Windows 10 is really good at sorting drivers as a rule. OP could sysprep VM install to remove hardware drivers.

cereberus, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    I would do this without Sysprep; without the /generalize switch it does not remove drivers and make image hardware independent, on the other hand /generalize would most probably fail because provisioned apps.

7. cereberus Win User
    My comments below are for all readers - obviously you Kari know this of coursem

I agrew with above but just putting a Windows 10 drive on a new pc is not 100% guaranteed to work though. I have had cases refuse to boot on older versions (Windows 7 was always hit or miss). Windows 10 is far superior, and will just work in most cases, but I had a lot of issues going from an Intel to AMD laptop. By sysprepping, I sorted issues very quickly

Sysprepping with generalise will work if just putting drive in new pc fails or gives issues providing you remove the offending apps it proviso Dr for all users Kari says, which can be a bit tricky sometimes though but not that difficult to sort.

Obviously, one should just try just putting Drive in new pc first (I would backup drive first in case it gets corrupted on new pc)

cereberus, Jul 13, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Actually this process can be quite simple in the case of W10 --

The process in general is called V2P or "Virtual to Physical".

What you need to do is as follows

1) Power on your VM .

2) Obtain a copy of free Macrium and install on your VM.

3) UNINSTALL VM additions (if VBOX) or VMWARE TOOLS if running using VMWARE --don't re-boot the Vm after this as otherwise your video resolution will be wrong and make running the next step (step 4) more difficult -- you just don't want to have VMware tools or vbox additions on the new Windows installation on the physical machine !!!

4) Run the macrium program (from the VM) to create a Disk IMAGE (not a clone) of your VM. copy All the partitions.

5) Create a bootable restore version of the Macrium Free program and boot it.

6) Restore the image you created in step 4 to your "C" drive (or a bootable HDD).

7) now boot it. --the first time you might get a boot error --use the windows recovery disc / usb to fix this.

8) Windows will now boot -- and usually pretty well all drivers it needs will be found easily enough automatically.

I've done this loads of times with VM's created via VMware --there's no reason to suppose that the process is any different with VBOX. You might need to attempt to do the boot repair a couple of times - or you could be lucky and not need to do it at all.

Note - you will probably be asked to re-activate Windows after this process -- technically it's a new installation on to a different machine. You *could* get lucky and find activation isn't required. If the original VM was created from an OEM version of Windows (i.e one that was pre-installed on the old machine) it probably won't activate. If it is RETAIL or has a multiple licence (corporate / enterprise etc) then if any problems with activation Microsoft will have no problems activating by phone. Unlike most hideous calls to Indian call centres (Banks, utility companies, internet providers etc) it's a quick and painless process if you have to do it.

If the VM is merely being restored to the ORIGINAL physical machine it was created on then the original key should still work.

If none of these work the old "get around" is still working -- install a version of W7 that is of similar build to your W10 --e.g HOME, PRO, ULTIMATE and then just upgrade to W10 - After an initial upgrade restore your W10 image which should now be activated. - Not sure how long this loophole will last as it's been over a year since the "Free upgrade" technically ended.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Transfer VirtualBox machine to physical machine - Similar Threads - Transfer VirtualBox machine

2. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  3. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  4. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  5. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reactivation of Windows 10 in VirtualBox machine

Reactivation of Windows 10 in VirtualBox machine: I had a licenced activated copy of Windows 10 running in a VirtualBox machine on an HP laptop without any problems. The motherboard in that machine fried and was not repairable. I got a replacement laptop with an 8th gen Core i5 multicore processor and a 500 GB SSD. I copied...
  7. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine: I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a...
  8. Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine: Hi, I have created a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) on my Windows 10 Professional 10.0.17134.285 Surface Pro computer and would like to operate Windows 10 on that VM. (The purpose is to run Excel 64 bit within that machine. The physical machine is already running Excel...
  9. Create VM from physical machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...
  10. Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox: How to: Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox How to Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VirtualBox VirtualBox is a cross-platform virtualization application. What does that mean? For one thing, it installs on your existing Intel or AMD-based computers,...