Windows 10: Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.

Discus and support Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I would appreciate assistance with the above please. After many problems due to the cpu overheating, my HP Compaq Presario CQ56 finally packed up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gordon99, Jul 31, 2018.

1. gordon99 Win User

Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.

I would appreciate assistance with the above please.

After many problems due to the cpu overheating, my HP Compaq Presario CQ56 finally packed up. Fortunately I had recently made a System Image (Windows 10) backup on an external hard drive.

I am waiting delivery of a brand new Acer Aspire 3 Laptop which has a 128GB SSD. It will have Windows 10 pre-installed together, no doubt, with bloatware.

I understand I can get rid of the bloatware before I do anything else using a Windows program called, I think, Windows Refresh and that is my intention at the moment.

I have a History back up also on the external hard drive which is sufficiently up to date for my needs and I do not anticipate having difficulty transferring these files. My understanding is that the System Image backup will contain all of the Windows 10 operating system files which I assume I will not need for the new laptop. However, I do not know which other files, folders or programs from the old Laptop will be in the System Image but, if there are any, may I please have guidance how to go about transferring these to the new computer. Whenever I inspect System Image files on a backup it is never clear to me what is what.

:)

gordon99, Jul 31, 2018

2. System Image Problem

Version Date 5.05 8/03/2009 5.08 7/21/2009 Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Jul 31, 2018
  3. System Image Problem

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the Nick's Data? I've already done a Sys Img to G: drive.
    What is a Belarc Advisor audit?

Rebooting now to see if drives stay the same.

--
    Nick

caddman6425, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.

USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop.

1. Transferring data from System Image to a new laptop. - Similar Threads - Transferring data System

2. Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.: HiI've purchased a new laptop and followed instructions to set up and seems like I've logged into the wrong Microsoft accountI didn't know I had 2 accounts so now my files/data etc won't transfer from old to new laptop! As it's set up does that mean that I can no longer sync...
  3. Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring data from old to new laptop issues.: HiI've purchased a new laptop and followed instructions to set up and seems like I've logged into the wrong Microsoft accountI didn't know I had 2 accounts so now my files/data etc won't transfer from old to new laptop! As it's set up does that mean that I can no longer sync...
  4. Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.: Hello,I have just got a new Laptop with Windows 11, and I want to connect it to my old Laptop that has Windows 10, and basically drag and drop the C+D Drives from the old into the C Drive of the new.Will that mess anything up because they are different versions of...
  5. Transferring system image to new hardware setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring system image to new hardware setup: I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to boot, bluescreening over and over again, and I was forced to use a fresh installation. Does Windows still do that? I've heard...
  6. Need help transferring data from old laptop to new laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help transferring data from old laptop to new laptop: got a new laptop and i need some methods to tanager everything over submitted by /u/I-sense-Memes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hufzj0/need_help_transferring_data_from_old_laptop_to/
  7. Transfer all data from old to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer all data from old to new laptop?: Hello, everyone, I will get a new laptop soon and want to transfer all my data (files, photos, software...) from my old to my new notebook. It is Windows 10. I have seen several options on the internet, but I don't know which method to use. I hope you can help me. Thanks...
  8. Data transfer to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data transfer to new laptop: Hello, What is the best way to transfer data from an old HP Win 10 laptop to new HP Win 10 laptop? Old laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive ~450GB used, Win 10 Home 64 New laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive + 256GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Home 64 Plus I assume the OS will be loaded on...
  9. Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data Transfer From Corrupted Laptop: I am unable to boot into my HP laptop running Windows 10. I tried every option in the blue screens including Troubleshoot, Automatic Repair and Recovery Manager all to no avail. I then chose to Reset with 'Reinstall Windows without removing your personal files and change...
  10. Transfer images from smartphone to laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer images from smartphone to laptop: I want to transfer photo images from my Android smartphone to my Windows laptop. But I failed, I really get lost in this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-images-from-smartphone-to-laptop/5587b154-b14e-4951-9f9d-5e2b9e9c9f06"