Windows 10: Transferring Older Thunderbird eMails To New Computer: How ?

Discus and support Transferring Older Thunderbird eMails To New Computer: How ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, Have 2 pc's in the house now; an older W10 pc and a brand new iMac for another family member. Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore. Will... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Robert11, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Robert11 Win User

Transferring Older Thunderbird eMails To New Computer: How ?

Hello,

Have 2 pc's in the house now; an older W10 pc and a brand new iMac for another
    family member. Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore. Will blame it on old age now.

The W10 pc uses Thunderbird for its eMails.

I would like very much to transfer all the "older" eMails to the new iMac.
    The new iMac uses the Apple "MAIL" App, and we will not be using Thunderbird on it.

Is there any way to transfer the old W10 eMails as a file(s) that would be readable by the new Mac ?

Would be nice, but not necessary, to incorporate the IN Box, etc. from Thunderbird to the new Mac MAIL App.

But, would be happy if I just had them on the MAC as (historical) readable files.

Any way to do this ?

Using MOZ Backup, perhaps ?
    *BTW: where are these files actually stored in Thunderbird ? What Format ?

Just for info.:

Transferring to the new Mac worked well for all the older Photos from the W10 pc.
    I formatted an external HD to exFAT, put the photos on that, and then plugged it into
    the Mac. Apparently the Mac and Windows can both read exFAT formatted HD's.

Any help would be most appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Feb 11, 2018
  2. ramptonz Win User

can I sync thunderbird email contacts to win 8 phone directly from my computer?

Does anyone know if I can transfer from my computer the email contacts using thunderbird mail to win 8 cell phone email contacts

directly through my pc?

ramptonz, Feb 11, 2018
  3. grahambm Win User
    Import mail to windows 10

You can install WLM on Windows 10. Export all messages and contacts first then Import them into new WLM on Win 10.

But facing same problem and with no support now for WLM, I switched to Mozzilla Thunderbird for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It is a free download and is able to import the mail and contacts you exported from WLM.

Thunderbird is quite similar to WLM, so once installed and configured, you will like it!

The Windows 10 Mail program is a joke unless you have very few emails and just one account.

ADDED: You don't mention how you email is now configured in WLM. If it is POP3, then you might consider switching it to IMAP before you transfer to Windows 10. With IMAP, all messages are stored on your ISP servers. When you create the new account in Thunderbird
    (or even Win10 Mail), the messages will automatically download. Downloaded POP messages stored on your computer won't sync like that, but they will if you move them into the new IMAP account on existing Win 7 WLM.

If you are already using IMAP, just set up your new mail program in Win10 and the mail will all magically be there!

In both cases, you need to export your contacts from WLM and then Thunderbird can import them. Various other ways if you use w10 mail.

grahambm, Feb 11, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might be better asking that on Thunderbird's forum, and searching that.

Example:
    Where does Thunderbird store my emails on my Windows 10 PC? I wish to back them up to an external drive. | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

How do I find my local mail folders in Mozilla Thunderbird? | Help Support | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

There are 3rd party programs that handle mail backup and transfer between programs: Mailstore Home is a good one- I don't know if it supports your intended program.
    MailStore Home – Free Email Archiving and Backup for Home Users

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  5. clam1952 Win User
    clam1952, Feb 11, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Most backup won't work it's only for Thunderbird and ff it depends on the app in Thunderbird you can export emails in various formats which you may be able to import you need to check app see what it can import. I got round it by adding Google email to Thunderbird then simple copied files in it to Google which uploaded them

Samuria, Feb 11, 2018
  7. Clint Win User

Clint, Feb 11, 2018
  8. This would be a great time to switch over to a non-IMAP/POP3 e-mail account. By now, no one should have any need to backup anything mail-related.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Transferring Older Thunderbird eMails To New Computer: How ? - Similar Threads - Transferring Older Thunderbird

2. How to transfer word to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer word to new computer: How to transfer word to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-word-to-new-computer/bfe24272-39f1-4563-9db0-6242f0d09ccf
  3. Transferring old emails to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring old emails to new computer: I have an old computer running W7. On that computer I used Windows Live Mail 2011 which would download to my computer. It did not keep a copy on the server. It does not have Outlook on it. I have tried installing Outlook on it but it keeps on ending the program and will not...
  4. Transferring old emails to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring old emails to new computer: I have an old computer running W7. On that computer I used Windows Live Mail 2011 which would download to my computer. It did not keep a copy on the server. It does not have Outlook on it. I have tried installing Outlook on it but it keeps on ending the program and will not...
  5. Transfer various email files in a folder in ThunderBird to a bookmark folder on the same...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer various email files in a folder in ThunderBird to a bookmark folder on the same...: I started a project not to long ago. I received various emails trying to help out. Since I have 2 computers I would like to combine all the emails onto my primary laptop. Once this done, I would like to create a new file in the bookmark section and transfer everything into...
  6. New Thunderbird Email Client - 60.6.1

in Browsers and Email
    New Thunderbird Email Client - 60.6.1: New update to Thunderbird - 60.6.1 Security fixes. Release Notes: Thunderbird — Release Notes (60.6.1) — Mozilla 129570
  7. New Thunderbird Email Client 60.3.2 Available

in Browsers and Email
    New Thunderbird Email Client 60.3.2 Available: New Thunderbird Release - 60.3.2 Release Notes: Thunderbird — Release Notes (60.3.2) — Mozilla Download: Thunderbird — Software made to make email easier. — Mozilla 122587
  8. New computer, how to transfer windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New computer, how to transfer windows?: Hi, I built a new rig but I cannot seem to back up my windows using the media creation tool onto a USB, it keeps saying "make room" but the usb is empty and has 16GB. I do not have the operating disc, is there another way to download windows that I all ready own onto the...
  9. Thunderbird Email Problem

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Email Problem: Every time I send email with Thunderbird I put multiple recipients in the Bcc: section and no one in the To: section and that is what is shown. However, when the people I'm sending it to get the email everyone is in the To: line and they can see everyone else's email address....
  10. New Thunderbird Email Client Released

in Browsers and Email
    New Thunderbird Email Client Released: New Thunderbird Email client 52.7.0 released 03/23/18. Minor bugs and security fixes. [img] 106649