Windows 10: Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC.

Discus and support Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have been contending with this issue for as long as I have had Windows 10. It has become a real annoyance in 2 years. Windows has always had... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by garoessler, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC.

I have been contending with this issue for as long as I have had Windows 10. It has become a real annoyance in 2 years. Windows has always had ridiculously long paths to user accounts. I am the ONLY one who uses this computer, to the point where I do not even use a password at Startup. I do NOT need any of this!They remedied that in Windows 10, but when I set up Windows 10 I did not realize this. Consequently, when Explorer comes up, the left sidebar always features "This PC". So to get to my User Acct, I always have to go through the same old ritual: C>Windows>Users>Etc. The older I get, the more of a pain this is. I have fixed it so that a shortcut to the folder of all my own Docs resides on the Taskbar, making it somewhat easier. But there are more and more times when I have to navigate the LONG way when I am uploading to a browser, etc.There MUST be a way to transfer all of my files to THIS PC, or to access MY PC and point THIS PC in my direction. I just do not know it. *Sad I am sole user and Administrator of this computer, so this should be somehow possible??Any info greatly appreciated.

TIA

:)

garoessler, Jun 11, 2017
  2. denmarfl Win User

Microsoft Windows Account Email; need to change

Transferring the Files??? Is there a menu item when you are creating the new User Account that does this transfer? Or,you do the Copy\Paste...Folder\ files of the C:\Driver and you better know what exactly you are doing......

Do you then delete the Original User Account that attached to the .msn email acct that has been Closed? Otherwise, the PC is carrying a User Acct that no longer has a active email acct attached to it and when the PC starts up it will display both the New
    and Old...

denmarfl, Jun 11, 2017
  3. Setting Owner/Permissions

I GET A LOT OF ARGUMENTS FROM MY FAMILY FOR HAVING 2 ACCOUNTS. BUT I HAVE ONE ACCT AS ADMIN. AND THE OTHER AS USER. EVEN THOUGH NO ONE BUT ME USES MY PC. BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN I USE THE ADMIN ACCT. TO ADD OR MAKE CHANGES TO MY PC AND THEN USE MY
    USER ACCT AS THE ONE THAT I USE ALL THE TIME IT HELPS. I KNOW I DON'T KNOW MUCH. COMPUTERS AND U HAVE PROB. DONE THIS ALREADY. BUT I JUST WANTED TO PUT THIS IDEA OUT THERE. HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE.

T.C.WOLFSPONDER, Jun 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC.

Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC. [​IMG]

Hi, granted the defaults for when explorer launches are limited to two.

However, it's 1 click in the navigation pane to 'Documents' - no need to navigate via C>Windows>Users>Etc, assuming that's what you mean when you say "get to my User Acct" (a user account is something quite different and includes Documents as just one folder of many).

This PC is all disks, partitions, so moving your files to My PC doesn't really mean so much.

So you have the Navigation Pane, and you have Quick Access, and Frequent Places at least as ways to point file explorer to your preferred location

and the idea of creating a shortcut is a good one that's been around for years - ok for launching explorer, but it doesn't help to quickly open Open/Save boxes or existing instances of file explorer at a particular location.

I use a program that adds buttons at the top of most relevant windows:

One of the functions is 'Favourite folders'.
    Another is 'On top' - something I find invaluable.

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  5. Thanks for your quick reply, dalchina.

I would be interested in trying out your program for folder shortcuts. Could you possibly post a link? Or simply the name of this program.

TIA

garoessler, Jun 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that's Actual Window Manager - which I got 'free' via trialpay. I posted about this previously on the site.
    Want 'on top', 'minimise to tray' buttons on app other title bars? - Windows 10 Forums

As you can see, the buttons appear in many places, including universal apps and Firefox, for example.

Feature Comparison Chart - Products Catalog - Actual Tools
    lists all the products, of which Actual File Folders provides relevant options.

Actual Window Manager includes all.

Favourites and on top are most useful.

Another program of interest is Listary - the free version may do enough. Different approach- middle click in open/save dialogues + tray icon.

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Unnecessary pain. Besides the C: drive, "This PC" also lists the folders Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.. These are the painless direct access route to the same C>Windows>Users>Etc. folders as you laboriously work your way down to.

8. Try3 Win User

Georgia,

Just one minor point from those you raised. If you are in File explorer and intend to post a file online using your browser:-

• Prepare for this using File explorer to go to the file then right-click, SendTo, Desktop - i.e. put a shortcut to the file on your desktop.
    • Then when you are using your browser to upload the file, select the shortcut instead.
    • This will have the effect of uploading the file [not the shortcut].
    • Then just tidy up afterwards by deleting the shortcut.

I think this thread is affected by the same issue that you have raised in your more recent thread [How to make MY PC mine?] - the apparent folders called Documents etc within This PC are shortcuts to your user folders [i.e. they are not folders in their own right even though that's what they look like].

Denis

9. Barman58 Win User
    I've gone a slightly different route to get access to my User files I've added direct links to the folders on the start menu (also to other normally available locations on the network)

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Transform/ or Transfer my USER acct to This PC. - Similar Threads - Transform Transfer USER

2. ADDING A PC TO MY MICROSOFT ACCT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADDING A PC TO MY MICROSOFT ACCT: HOW CAN i ADD MY DELL 9020 PC TO MY MICROSOFT ACCT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-pc-to-my-microsoft-acct/d4899065-411b-4e34-9ac5-fab765a9a8a0
  3. Documents folder transform into user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder transform into user folder: Hello, good morning everyone! I was changing the default locations of the main folders "Documents", "Photos", "Videos", etc. When I went to change the location of the Documents folder back to my Windows 10 user folder C:/Users. When suddenly the "Documents" folder was hosted...
  4. Documents folder transform into user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder transform into user folder: Hello, good morning everyone! I was changing the default locations of the main folders "Documents", "Photos", "Videos", etc. When I went to change the location of the Documents folder back to my Windows 10 user folder C:/Users. When suddenly the "Documents" folder was hosted...
  5. Documents folder transform into user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Microsoft User Acct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft User Acct: I don't know what happened but my account has disappeared. I have been searching FAQs for help and nothing is bringing me closer. My system restore only goes back one day, and I need it to go back, even a week so I can find my stuff. I have looked at my user folder "name"...
  7. NEW USER ACCT

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    NEW USER ACCT: I set up the laptop using my MSFT account. I want to give the machine to my granddaughter for school. She has her own MSFT acct, but when I tried to add her as a second "other" user I could only set it up as a local account. How do I get it attached to her MSFT account?...
  8. removing a user acct

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    removing a user acct: I am giving my old laptop to a grandson. How do I remove my user acct and start one for him? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-a-user-acct/a032f121-b5ba-45d4-86e8-1e0b311416fd"
  9. Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct: My new laptop (Lenovo P51) is about 3 weeks old and maybe the first or second day along with my login administrator account which I have been booting into I created a standard acct as well as a second administrator account. The reason for the standard acct is probably obvious...
  10. This PC doesn't transfer to Users

in Windows 10 Support
    This PC doesn't transfer to Users: Help! I am very new to Windows 10. If files under "This PC" are just shadows of those under my name in "users" (and I am the only user), why are files with the same name different in content? Shouldn't using a document in This PC automatically change the one under Users? 104443