Windows 10: Transplant from PC Help Forum W10 Install failures

Discus and support Transplant from PC Help Forum W10 Install failures in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - I'm Shep, a regular over at PC Help. The ever helpful Samuria suggested I land here and see what help I might be able to procure in my 2 week long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jshep0102, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jshep0102 Win User

Transplant from PC Help Forum W10 Install failures

Hi - I'm Shep, a regular over at PC Help. The ever helpful Samuria suggested I land here and see what help I might be able to procure in my 2 week long war with my Windows 10 install.

I believe I have all my spec loaded properly, and here is a link to the info at PC Help.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-1...pdate-10x.html

And a screenshot just taken...

Should anything further be required, I'm more than eager to bring the info. Thanks, Newbie Shep

:)

jshep0102, Aug 21, 2015

2. All New Hardware besides Hard Drive. W10 Activate Issue

you can't transplant the HDD / SSD of any version of windows with activation to a new motherboard

transplanting hasn't worked since win 9x

all NT versions beginning with XP cannot be transplanted you lose the activation

the only correct way to transfer is with a fresh install of Retail FPP or upgrade FPP media

all other installations are locked to the first motherboard they're installed on

edit:

you will need to purchase another copy to install on the new Motherboard

Locutus deBorg, Aug 21, 2015
  3. W7 to W10 product key rules after HDD failure

Hiya. For my living I go to peoples houses and fix their technology.

4 times in July I attended customers with HDD failures (after W7 to W10 upgrades) where the only way forward was full W10 clean install on new SSD.

In all 4 cases the customers original W7 product key failed W10 validation (aren't the upgraded one's remembered?). anyway ....

Forums I read said the only official recovery path was W7 clean install followed by W10 free upgrade.

My questions is, now the W10 free upgrade option has expired, what do I tell my customers with HDD failure after W7 to W10 free upgrade?

Could someone help me with a link to where the rules are clearly and simply explained please?

Cheers

Jon

ScousePower, Aug 21, 2015
  4. jshep0102 Win User

I searched and went to a page for creating a Bootable W10 USB drive. I am uncertain if I do this and it fails again if I can get back to my C drive boot. I'm kinda dumb in some of the ways of the pc. Actually plenty of them.

jshep0102, Aug 21, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    jshep0102;355890 Do yourself a real big favour and create yourself a backup image before you even think about upgrading.

6. First of all, don't believe the You're good to go report -- it lies!! It told me the same thing, and then trashed my HP Win7 laptop so bad I had to restore it from HP recovery media to get it back in working order.

I've spent a lot of time in the HP forums recently (hunting down info on my machine and others' problems) and basically, it looks like the Upgrade tool just doesn't handle Win7 machines well. It does an especially bad job on machines with Intel HD graphics (mine) and hybrid graphics. The HP forum is averaging about 100 or so posts A DAY concerning similar problems.

What you should do is the following:
    1) Download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect (MR )
    2) Use MR to do an image backup of your PC's System Reserved and OS partitions to an external drive
    3) Use the MR option to create a boot USB/CD

NOW, you have the means of restoring a working system by booting from the MR boot media and doing a Restore.

Don't rely on the Go Back feature of the Update -- after all, that was probably written by the same folks that gave you the faulty compatibility checker.

Mark Phelps, Aug 21, 2015
  7. jshep0102 Win User
    Hi gentlemen - Thanks for the input. I have MR, have yet to use it. No time like present. I used Acronis in the past, but it proved to be a no go for W10, so I deleted it. Hopefully I can make the backup image. So, is my 'PC's System Reserved and OS partitions' my whole C Drive? If this goes waaay south, would a clone of the disk be most appropriate? I use the pc for a recording studio (part time gig). Please advise, Thanks!

Well, it seems this is going to take a trip to the store for blank cd's or another USB drive. I have only 1 USB drive (8GB) and zero cd's.

jshep0102, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

This seems to be the programme that is most popular on this site Macrium Reflect Free

Your going to need a drive with at least the size of your current C:

9. jshep0102 Win User
    I have the exact drive, so I'm in business.

jshep0102, Aug 21, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    I've made all my complete backups including partition and primary drive using Acronis Boot disk. Never has gave me any problems!!! I have version 14 and newest release of 15. I still prefer using my 14 boot disk thou. Acronis has saved my butt at least 4 times since upgrading to Win 10 Pro. But all you guys ARE right, what program you use to back up USE them Before upgrading to Win 10!! I've also made recent backups of my Windows 10 After it runs kinda stable for a while too. I can re-install My ultimate 7 in about 6 to 8 mins, reinstall Win 10 in 6 mins. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 21, 2015
  11. jshep0102 Win User
    Got a couple cd's from the neighbor. USB loaded. Ready to backup, I think to myself... Well I'm dead in the water. I have a USB3 Dock. I've used it twice, never moved it. The power supply is gone. It's 2000Ma, so it works for nothing else I own. My kingdom for anything I update pc related to actually work without tons of time and work, and wishing I never started using them. Beyond frustrated to say the least.

jshep0102, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Transplant from PC Help Forum W10 Install failures - Similar Threads - Transplant Help Forum

2. Digital License W10 transplant from old laptop to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License W10 transplant from old laptop to new PC: Hi guys,How do I transplant my digital license from my old laptop which is W10 Home Digital License to my new PC?I have followed a few guides. A little bit unclear, am I supposed to nuke the old laptop with reset then I can start activation procedure on my new PC?New PC is...
  3. Digital License W10 transplant from old laptop to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License W10 transplant from old laptop to new PC: Hi guys,How do I transplant my digital license from my old laptop which is W10 Home Digital License to my new PC?I have followed a few guides. A little bit unclear, am I supposed to nuke the old laptop with reset then I can start activation procedure on my new PC?New PC is...
  4. Digital License W10 transplant from old laptop to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installation Failure W7 - W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  6. Failure to install all W10 updates.

Failure to install all W10 updates.: My laptop was upgraded to W10 from W7. Now, further updates for W10 do not work. The system will spend all day downloading the file then trying to install it, then fail, and spend the rest of the day undoing the changes it has made to the system. I want to stop it trying to...
  7. Open Shell forum - don't expect any help from its forum

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Shell forum - don't expect any help from its forum: Hi, For weeks I've been trying to resolve an explorer hang when launching Open Shell- it's been a persistent problem that various people experienced with Classic Shell. Where this was resolved, each reported case was different. I would advise you not to waste your time...
  8. Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure

Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure: But not in the usual way - the Store would not accept the digital license for the W10 Pro I had purchased to do the upgrade - it offered me W10 Home again. So I tried using a physical disc for W10 Pro and it started fine and went online to collect update files to install....
  9. Forum Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Forum Help: Greetings, This post is in the wrong category, because the correct categories aren't working. When I try to ask a question in the "Community Participation Center" by clicking the Submit button, the button, topic, and subtopic goes dim, and the question isn't posted:...
  10. Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD: I’m switching a Win10 SSD from my Dell E6320 to a E6330 as the old one does not work properly anymore. The new one says No bootable devices, but shows the SSD just fine in the bios. I found advice to change the SATA mode to AHCI (from RAID), did it, but the error persists....