Windows 10: Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

Discus and support Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons. Does anyone know a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PietJetse, Oct 17, 2015.

1. PietJetse Win User

Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons.
    Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

:)

PietJetse, Oct 17, 2015

2. Start Menu still not working

It was the same here. The icons in the sys-tray stopped working one by one. At last even wifi network did not open.

In my case the return to a very early restore point solved the problem with the icons in the sys-tray.

Alas the start-button did not regain its functionality, though it always opened a menu when clicking right.

It must be possible to solve this problem though, because when I make a new account the start-button works for that new account.

It seems to me that the professional Microsoft programmers must be able to solve this BUG easily.

/Kamau

KamauMweru, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Taskbar stopped working since I updated my laptop windows 10 November update

Yesterday I updated windows 10 and the task bar stopped working

The start button is getting clicked but nothing happens

There are also no ongoing apps shown in the task bar

No icons are being shown in the tray

Can't see the battery and volume

Please help me!!

And why do I have a problem whenever Microsoft releases an update

Mrudul Kulkarni, Oct 17, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Welcome to Ten-Forums

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 and how or did you buy a PC with it on it ? How long has this been happening ?
    Have you been able to do any Windows updates before this happened ? Make sure have updates for windows up to October.
    Have you added more apps on taskbar ?

I would first try at (Admin) command prompt copy and paste this and press enter, let it finish

sfc /scannow

Again after other finishes at the same open command prompt copy and paste this and press enter ,let it finish

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reboot (restart) after both commands complete, try start menu and taskbar.

This issue has happened to many in past and this resolution has worked for some can try it after if the first one does not help.

Using Powershell

Step 1: On Keyboard Press Windows+R

Step 2: Type in powershell.exe and hit enter.

Step 3: Paste the following Command in the Powershell window and hit enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Step 4: Wait for the process to finish and complete the command, may see some red errors just let it finish.

Step 5: Restart PC, then try Start Menu and Taskbar.

jds63, Oct 17, 2015
  5. PietJetse Win User
    I did upgrade from 8.1.
    Has been happening since thhe update.
    Updating seems to be working fine.
    I added Crome to the taskbar.

Will try those fixes as soon as it happens again.

PietJetse, Oct 17, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    If after you try those fixes, and later the same problem happens again, you might just want to start thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 10. I had those same problems myself, and I didn't really want to do a clean install, but after a while, I decided to finally do the clean install and since then, computer has been running better and even a lil faster than before. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Take care, Mike.

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  7. PietJetse Win User
    what do you mean with "Clean Instal"? I installed windows 10 when i got the message.

PietJetse, Oct 17, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

You upgraded over the existing operating system, keeping it also there to go back to it, clean install will wipe that cleanly off and allow you to have just fresh copy and Windows 10 on the PC. You will loose all settings and installed software have to reinstall it again along with system and hardware drivers. https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/clean-install-windows-10.246/

Can also do an inplace upgrade first or a refresh on Windows 10, inplace upgrade will repair and you will not loose anything as a refresh you will loose software just not settings you made.Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    A reset is also like a clean install.

This is other alternatives if commands did not work, should always backup any important files and software before any process like this to an external device.

jds63, Oct 17, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    You also have another method, doing a clean install without losing your installed apps. This is for a system that has not upgraded to windows 10 yet, but will work for folks that already are running windows 10 also. Just giving you a few ideas.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First[2]=Installation and Setup

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    But try what jds63 suggested 1st, that might work for you and fix your problems. And like jds63 mentioned do a complete image backup of your c-drive just to be safe. Macrium Reflect is a free app, and does a great job for making the image.

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Never knew this existed yet, thanks for that. Which apps we talking about can only be Windows 10, know can be no way to save third party software that was on PC.

jds63, Oct 17, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    If I read it right jds63 it WILL save 3rd party apps. Take a look at some of the replies on Shawn's tutorial

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

O.k. i did not read the replies, but the tutorial i never knew myself how a clean install could, but whole tutorial was new to me seeing it now.

jds63, Oct 17, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes its fairy new one, think Shawn made it just a few weeks ago. Lots of people seem to really like this method a lot. *Smile
    Wish Shawn would have made this one BEFORE I did my clean install....darn..

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    A lot to read in replies to find where it said would save 3rd party apps, but will save this one in case i need it as i am already on a clean install from end of July so far have not had any issues with Windows 10 Pro. Let's see if we can finish helping this person.

jds63, Oct 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working. - Similar Threads - Tray Icons Start

2. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  3. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  4. Windows Start Icon/Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Icon/Button: I noticed that the Windows Start icon and the Start button do not work at all. Is there a setting I need to change? When I click the start icon to see all of my apps it doesn't work. So then I tried the start button on the keyboard, and that doesn't work either. How can I fix...
  5. Windows 10 All System Tray icons stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 All System Tray icons stopped working: When I click on network, calendar, speakers, or anything I place in the system tray on the task bar, they don't do anything. No errors, red x's, or otherwise. I did scans, reset icons, restarts, safe mode, and everything else recommended since 2015. Turned all icons off,...
  6. Windows Start button randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start button randomly stops working: So whenever I click on the Start menu it doesn't open, my cursor will show a 'working in background' for about half a second. Also whenever I click Ctrl + I for the settings, it automatically closes itself out. I can open Task Manager with no issues though. P.S This happened...
  7. URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URGENT: Start Icon and Windows button have stopped working: The left-click on my Start icon has stopped working and several reboots have not resolved the situation. My Windows key doesn't work either. I cannot launch Edge either. I'm running Windows 10 Home on a new Dell laptop. What the heck is going on and how do I fix it? I've...
  8. Start button stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button stopped working: I made some changes to my network settings in an attempt to determine what was preventing my desktop system from sleeping. I was restarting my system after each change, and now my Start button has stopped working. Microsoft Edge crashed immediately when opened one time prior...
  9. "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    "Start" virtual button & keyboard button stop working: I just did a clean install on W10 and change my bios to UEFI (which it supports.) I'm having this intermittent problem with the Windows "Start" Button in the lower left. It just stops working - left clicking doesn't do anything, although right-clicking does. I just have the...
  10. Start button has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button has stopped working: Hey guys wondering if some of you can help me out. The start button on windows 10 has stopped working for me. It came right after I installed a new graphics card though in the days before I had noticed strange stuff like when I searched for an app and clicked on its icon...