Windows 10: Tray icons disappear after expanding?

Discus and support Tray icons disappear after expanding? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Whenever i click on my "hidden icons" button on the right of my taskbar, they all appear for a split second, then the box becomes more narrow and hides... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bugdust, Aug 4, 2018.

1. bugdust Win User

Tray icons disappear after expanding?

Whenever i click on my "hidden icons" button on the right of my taskbar, they all appear for a split second, then the box becomes more narrow and hides half of them.

Tray icons disappear after expanding? 7e7553b4-f70f-4380-9b05-21491f34147b?upload=true.png

As you can see, some of the icons appear blurry and the box has a weird border on the right side as well. I've tried to look for answers to this but they just come up as screen resolution problems but no matter what screens I'm using (I have three but only ever use two at a time, a drawing tablet, my laptop and an old tv/monitor combo. at the time of writing this and taking the photo i was using my drawing tablet as the second screen, but i've checked my screen settings in the intel app and the windows app and nothing appears out of the ordinary.) they always appear blurry like this and the box becomes smaller. This has only started happening about a month or two ago but I'd really like to fix it because it becomes very hard to see what I have running and opening those apps without going into task manager, closing them, and reopening them.

:)

bugdust, Aug 4, 2018

2. Tray icon disappears

I've been experiencing since the installation of Windows XP SP2 on multiple machines with the ATITool Tray Icon disappearing upon load at system startup. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Enabling or Disabling the "Hide Inactive (tray) Icons" WinXP menu option doesn't have any effect. The only way to open ATITool after it has loaded is to go through the start menu to open it again. I have "minimize on close" selected in ATITool. When closing ATITool, you see it make the motions of minimizing to the tray area but no icon is displayed. Any ideas?

djshowergel, Aug 4, 2018
  3. Notification Tray App Icons Disappear

Hello Jenith,

Rather than creating a new local user account I've tested with the local administrator account. I logged on with the local administrator and created a new user profile. This unfortunately has the exact same issue.

I've been doing some additional troubleshooting and have determined that the issue occurs when the explorer.exe process is refreshing the desktop. It is easy to reproduce:

1. Open task manager.

2. On the users tab expand the list of processes for the current user.

3. Right click on the "Windows Explorer" process and select Restart.

Once you restart the "Windows Explorer" process the desktop will refresh and some of the notification tray icons will disappear. This appears to happen periodically while using the computer. I'm not saying that windows automatically restarts the process
    -- rather the outcome is identical where the SAME notification tray icons disappear. The system icons always return along with Outlook 2013. It appears that the explorer process refreshes the desktop periodically and that causes my icons to disappear.

Some additional things I've tried:

- Removing several group policies that I thought MAY cause this.

- Removing the workstation from the domain.

- Creating a new local user profile.

- Creating a new domain user profile.

David Lebar, Aug 4, 2018
  4. Tray icons disappear after expanding?

Tray icon disappears

Yeap. Process continues to run, easily identifable in Task Manager. ATITool works perfectly and switches profiles despite the fact the tray icon is only present in roughly one out of every 5-6 reboots.

I'm also using it on an IBM-R50 laptop that's sporting a Radeon 9000 chip and it does the same thing there .. it's running the same version of Windows XP (SP2 + All updates), same antiviurs (Trend 2005), etc. It's on an PentiumM chip vs the AthlonXP in my desktop. Basically I don't think platform has any contributing factor.

djshowergel, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

Tray icons disappear after expanding?

1. Tray icons disappear after expanding? - Similar Threads - Tray icons disappear

2. System Tray icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray icons keep disappearing: Windows 11 22H2iCUE won't even display in my taskbar, though it is running. Open up taskbar settings and iCUE is meant to show always, but it won't. Fix provided in another post didn't fix, as it only said to turn it on, which it is....
  3. System Tray Icons Disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray Icons Disappear: When I start my computer sometimes icons in the system tray don't appear. I have them setup to appear too. Is this some sort of bug and why wasn't it ever fixed?...
  4. System Tray Icons Disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Tray Icons Disappear: When I start my computer sometimes icons in the system tray don't appear. I have them setup to appear too. Is this some sort of bug and why wasn't it ever fixed?...
  5. System Tray icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Tray icons keep disappearing: A lot of system tray icons are disappearing by themselves, usually when I launch a game and then exit. For example, I use the SpyderXPro program to load my color profile. Sometimes the color profile resets and I'll have to manually right click the SpyderXPro icon and then...
  6. System Tray icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray icons keep disappearing: A lot of system tray icons are disappearing by themselves, usually when I launch a game and then exit. For example, I use the SpyderXPro program to load my color profile. Sometimes the color profile resets and I'll have to manually right click the SpyderXPro icon and then...
  7. System Icons disappearing from tray

System Icons disappearing from tray: After a recent update, currently on 20h2 build 19042.964, system icons have disappeared from the tray area near the clock. To be a little more specific, I can take all icons and hide them in the drawer and all icons show there. But when I set icons to always show, the first...
  8. Disappearing System Tray icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearing System Tray icon: I have a situation where my Macrium Reflect "backup-in-progress" icon stops being displayed. I've reported this to Macrium, but I'd like to better understand what is going on ... including how System Tray (a.k.a. notification area) icons are displayed. I'm running Win 10...
  9. Icons disappear from system tray

Icons disappear from system tray: Hi, I have already performed the following: Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled Notification Area and click on Customize. Click on Turn system icons on or...
  10. Onedrive tray icon has disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive tray icon has disappeared: Noticed today that the Onedrive tray icon is missing. I tried re-installing with OneDriveSetup.exe and got error "A newer version of Onedrive is installed". I downloaded the latest version and got the same error. Trying to run Onedrive from the startmenu gives the same error!...