Windows 10: Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine

Discus and support Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi Sorry in advance, but complete schoolboy error. I tried to add a second login/profile on my laptop for my wife through the accounts settings;... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by thecidershed, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine

Hi
    Sorry in advance, but complete schoolboy error.
    I tried to add a second login/profile on my laptop for my wife through the accounts settings; however I somehow managed to replace mine with hers. Everything else is the same; desktop background, files, programs etc.....just with her name and email/login password.
    Can anyone assist with removing hers or putting mine back on and hers to a new/fresh login? Naturally keeping all documents etc.
    Hope that makes sense!?
    Apologies, but I'm not that IT savvy clearly.
    Many thanks

:)

thecidershed, Aug 21, 2016

2. Win 10 no start/settings/action center.

hi thank you for the assistance i appreciate your effort.

i tried method 1 with no success.

i cant create a new local account if i cant even open the settings menu...

i tried to go around it by going to control panel>user accounts>user accounts>manage another account>add a new user to this pc. however the "add a new user to this pc" link redirects me to the settings menu which cannot open for more than half a second.

ive downloaded and installed the Start10 windows 10 start menu replacement software which now lets me open their start menu, however once i click settings it will not open

mr.mike.s., Aug 21, 2016
  3. "The User Profile Service Failed"

Hello. I'm unable to add a new user to my laptop, running on Windows 10, without getting this error upon login. I was previously able to add a second user onto my laptop with no issues. The second user and myself have no problems logging in. The problem
    is only when I try to add a third user.

We've concluded that the issue is not with the user's Microsoft account as we have tried making an account with both her Microsoft account and by attempting to create a new user without a Microsoft account.

I've attempted other solutions I've seen to this issue such as creating a new default folder in the users folder of the C: drive, as well as trying to fix her account from the registry. However, when I access the registry, her account does not exist in there.
    The account shows up on the login screen, but not on the registry. My account as well as the second user's account shows up, however. I've tried finding solutions to THIS problem, however the only two I could find were a solution for Windows 7, which didn't
    work, and a suggestion saying to login to the third user's account in safe mode, which also didn't work.

Much help needed. Thanks in advance.

ToveBunting, Aug 21, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine

Hello thecidershed and welcome to TenForums *Smile

It is possible that what you did was to convert your local account to a Microsoft account and you have given it your wife's email and password for the login.

If this was the case you can check what type of account you now have by using the following tutorial for guidance:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

You can revert back to a local account as follows:

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/switch-to-local-account-in-windows-10.8963/

The correct way to add a new user is as follows:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

I hope these tutorials will help you sort out your accounts but please get back to us if you have any questions.

philc43, Aug 21, 2016
Thema:

Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine

1. Tried to add second user profile, however I've managed to replace mine - Similar Threads - Tried add second

2. Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.: I wanted to transfer my Pictures from Local Disk: D to Local Disk: CBut I remember, when I set the location in properties of Pictures, I set it as "C:\Users\myusernameI did that coz I wanted the Picture folder to be inside there,But it replaced my myusername instead of...
  3. Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replaced my users profile with Pictures folder.: I wanted to transfer my Pictures from Local Disk: D to Local Disk: CBut I remember, when I set the location in properties of Pictures, I set it as "C:\Users\myusernameI did that coz I wanted the Picture folder to be inside there,But it replaced my myusername instead of...
  4. Manage Windows User profiles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Manage Windows User profiles: Hi,I have an environment manged under Azure AD Directory. We also have department of about 50 users who are forced to share their desktops. So if every user happens to log in to one desktop, the PC will create about 50 user profiles. This in return forces the PC to be very...
  5. Manage Windows User profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manage Windows User profiles: Hi,I have an environment manged under Azure AD Directory. We also have department of about 50 users who are forced to share their desktops. So if every user happens to log in to one desktop, the PC will create about 50 user profiles. This in return forces the PC to be very...
  6. Manage Windows User profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I've followed to steps to fix a corrupted user profile, by replacing it with a new one....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I've followed to steps to fix a corrupted user profile, by replacing it with a new one....: I've followed the top result in the forums for fixing a corrupted user profile, even went so far as to delete the old user completely and create a new one, deleting all files for the previous user. As explained in the title, there is still a problem. The Icons are still...
  8. Replacing/updating user profile with older/backup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Replacing/updating user profile with older/backup: I've gone through hell the last 2 weeks , unlike with the last iterations of windose I could grab all the folders in a profile and drag and drop it into the profile to be updated with the old information,ect. If I am understanding the info I have read win10 uses a live...
  9. Cannot add another User profile..

Cannot add another User profile..: I started a clean install yesterday and after today I am trying to install another user profile. I went to settings; Accounts; Family and other users; Add someone else to this PC; and all I get is "Something went wrong". Any ideas? 30055
  10. Contacts replacing user profile

Contacts replacing user profile: So I wanted to move some user folders that I don't use (favorites, contacts, links, ect..) into a dummy folder. Well, stupid me somehow made the contacts folder replace my user profile, so the location, instead of being C:\Users\User\Contacts, it's now C:\Users\User. Tried to...