Windows 10: Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out

Discus and support Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop is new (I'm using an old laptop now) and tried to fix the num lock key constantly going off every time I reboot. I thought I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mroy99, Nov 4, 2017.

1. mroy99 Win User

Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out

My laptop is new (I'm using an old laptop now) and tried to fix the num lock key constantly going off every time I reboot. I thought I found instructions on how to enable from a Win 10 forum but actually ended up on some other site. Here's the link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/numloc...up-windows-7-8

I followed the instructions and disabled fast startup and now I'm locked out of my laptop. It won't let me change my password and there's a message on the password screen that says "num lock key is on."

I've tried turning the num lock key off and then back on again but that message remains. When I type in my password and hit enter, it looks like it's going to let me in and then it reverts back to the password screen. There is no prompt from the password screen allowing me to reset my password.

:)

mroy99, Nov 4, 2017

2. Have num lock turned off when computer boots

The num lock was turned on with the latest unscheduled Windows 10 update. I was puzzled that my password didn't work until I noticed the light was
    on.

How do I change the settings so the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock settings are
    off on bootup? Also how do I permanently disable the useless num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock keys?

RichardTonsing, Nov 4, 2017
  3. How to turn off beeping sound on num lock

OT- Num Lock Beep Sound

Hi

Yesterday I was seeing my settings and there i found Toggle Key Option which enables the sound when Caps lock key or Num lock key is pressed, then i enabled it and checked after that i Disabled it again. Today when i pressed num lock key i found that beep
    sound is still on and the toggle key is disabled. Caps Lock key not making any sound only Num Lock key is making beep sound. I tried to enable it again and disable but then also it is making that beep sound and I found that number pad is also not working.

If there is any solution for this then please provide me in the comment section.

Thank You...

JeetTrivedi, Nov 4, 2017
  4. mroy99 Win User

After doing a hard reboot of my laptop, the error message about the num lock key went away and I was able to login. Need to know if leaving the settings about disabling fast start up are okay or should I undo?

Really don't want to deal with this anymore. Plus I'd like to find a way to keep my num lock key on unless I turn it off.

mroy99, Nov 4, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Leaving Fast Startup disabled is fine. Here is the tutorial here on Tenforums for the Num Lock key at sign-on.

Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

And the one for Fast Startup enable/disable.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Read thru them both, and make sure all the proper steps were taken. It should not lock you out of your laptop.

f14tomcat, Nov 4, 2017
  6. mroy99 Win User
    Read through both and fixed what was needed but I did discover something else. On the tutorial for fast start up the "define power buttons and turn on password protection" screen shows a setting for "password protection on wakeup."
    I've included a screen grab showing I am missing that setting. Would really like to turn the password protection off on wakeup.

mroy99, Nov 4, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    @mroy99

Under Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options, try changing this to Never. Sign off and back on. See if that does it. The tutorial is from 2015, last updated March 13, 2017. That was around the time of Creators Update release 15063, and those screens may have changed a bit in 16299 Fall Creators Update, MS moving some settings and options to other pages.

*Arrow Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out [​IMG]

I have my Desktop PC set to Balanced Power, Hibernation and Fast Startup disabled, and that setting set to Never. Mine looks like this:

Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out [​IMG]

What version of Windows are you running?

Press the WIN KEY + R, type WINVER, enter to show.

f14tomcat, Nov 5, 2017
  8. mroy99 Win User

That worked. Thanks so much for your help!

mroy99, Nov 5, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    @mroy99. You're welcome. Glad it worked for you! *Thumbs

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Tried to enable num lock key on bootup and now I'm locked out - Similar Threads - Tried enable num

2. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  3. Num lock key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Num lock key not working: Num lock key is not working. How do I turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-key-not-working/b1ea4f8f-bd31-45d8-bd13-408f6c6b9945
  4. Num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock: bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all num lock turns off every time i log in. why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or...
  5. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  6. Num lock key

Num lock key: Yesterday I turned off my pc and started it again a few minutes later, and now my num lock key is off upon opening. How do I change the default to be "on" ?...
  7. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  8. enable num lock key not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    enable num lock key not working.: This is my second Win 10 laptop and am having a problem with the enable num lock fix. It worked like a charm on my first laptop so am not sure why It's not working this time. I tried removing it and enabling three times but for some reason, it's not working. Any...
  9. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221
  10. Num Lock key on at boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Num Lock key on at boot: For some reason, my num lock is off by default. I looked up the solutions, and the ones I found said to turn it on at the login screen, then reboot. It remained on for the next boot, but after that, it was off again. So I tried changing the registry key under...