Windows 10: Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors..

Discus and support Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors.. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So, in the midst of attempting to get rid of Privoxy (it had be hijacked to insert ads in webpages), I learned that I had some bad sectors on my drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Acurapassion, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors..

So, in the midst of attempting to get rid of Privoxy (it had be hijacked to insert ads in webpages), I learned that I had some bad sectors on my drive. So, I ran chkdsk, and it told me I had 4kb in bad sectors. I did some research, and I couldn't find anything about it causing issues to use /f and /r, so I set it to run on startup. It hung at 24% for a long time then suddenly exited and the computer booted up. However, several programs showed issues right off the bat.. Have I messed up things? Is there any way to undo or fix them?

If I try to move files, it says the directory is corrupted or unreadable.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

:)

Acurapassion, Oct 29, 2016

2. my harddisk can't delete a file showing error 0x80070570 in windows 10,saw online to perform chkdsk function,will it delete my files,what does it do

Hi,

To answer your inquiry regarding performing the chkdsk function, you may refer to the information provided below:

The chkdsk, also known as the "Check Disk utility" scans through your hard drive to find and fix problems. Running this can take some time but it can really help prevent bigger problems and loss of data in the long run. This performs a couple
    of other functions, depending on how it is run.

Its basic function is to scan the integrity of the file system/file system metadata on a disk volume and fix any logical file system errors that it comes across. Examples of those errors includes corrupt entries in a volume’s master file table (MFT), bad security
    descriptors associated with files, or even misaligned time stamp or file size information about individual files.

Chkdsk can scan every sector on a disk volume looking for bad sectors.

Bad sectors come in two forms:

soft bad sectors -occurs when data is written badly

hard bad sectors - occurs because of physical damage to the disk.

Chkdsk attempts to fix these problems by repairing soft bad sectors, and marking hard bad sectors so they won’t be used again.

Chkdsk disclaimer

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when
    chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

To try to delete the concerned file, you may access the posted troubleshooting steps of fionnsrocks by clicking this link:

error 0x80070570 cannot delete file.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Elly Kim Win User
    Does cancel chkdsk /f /r can data loss? (without error reporting)

Hi, i have hdd which got some bad sectors, i found bad sectors with sector checking tool. it seems physical bad sectors because i dropped out this drive by mistake.

After found bad sectors, i tried chkdsk /f /r on this drive... but canceled because i found some articles that chkdsk can make data loss (i know data on physical bad sectors are already damaged.) in some case.

So i wanna know just this about my case, my situation is... i canceled chkdsk after ran about just 10 mins and 3 stages are passed without error report.

And the last status was - Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Progress: 7113 of 91843 done; Stage: 0%; Total: 0%; ETA: 12:11:05 - no error or bad clusters/sectors reported in this status window until the time that i closed window.

So i asked this to some people, people answered if chkdsk didn't report error or fix or any problem, nothing happened in drive.

But i am worried about that if chkdsk already loss my data but without bad sector counts or reported. no any errors reported while running chkdsk at least. everything was fine, i know it. but i feel worried.

Some people seems having similar issues with chkdsk, i just make clear that data loss can happen or not, by chkdsk, in 'this situation'. please help.

Elly Kim, Oct 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors..

Hi, I'll assume you're using a HDD as you don't actually say.

Grab a copy of Crystal Diskinfo (portable if you like so you can run it from a flash drive e.g.) run it on the drive you're concerned about and post the main screen (not loads of details) - this will give a GOOD/CAUTION/BAD report based on the SMART parameters.

In anticipation, I hope you have good backups. Ideally you will have already started to use disk imaging which we so often recommend here. If you have disk or system images, you will be able to quickly restore an image to a replacement disk, should yours prove to be failing. If you haven't yet started to use disk imaging and your hard drive is failing, the most likely outcome will be that you will need to get a new disk and do a clean install.

You cannot image a failing drive.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors..

1. Tried to fix files in bad sectors using chkdsk, now have errors.. - Similar Threads - Tried fix files

2. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?: This might be a dumb question but I'm just really curious that I can't sleep at night, Is this okay to have this thousands of bad sector on my SSD? And it says that 35 of them was recovered. If I continue using HDD regenerator, Can it still fix my SSD or Should I buy a new...
  3. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?: This might be a dumb question but I'm just really curious that I can't sleep at night, Is this okay to have this thousands of bad sector on my SSD? And it says that 35 of them was recovered. If I continue using HDD regenerator, Can it still fix my SSD or Should I buy a new...
  4. Is it okay to have this tons of bad sectors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  6. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  7. Cant fix bad sectors on HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant fix bad sectors on HDD: I have a hard drive that is about 64% health the last time i checked its status. This time window files got corrupted after each restart now so i did chkdsk /r and dsim in boot drive command prompt. Each has completed their operation but yet it doesnt seem that they both did...
  8. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  9. Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary Fix for Bad Sectors: I have an HDD on my laptop with lots of bad sectors (CrystalDiskInfo said that my HDD is already in bad condition), I'm going to get a free replacement but I can't afford to have a day without a laptop for now, since the replacement will take 4-14 days. I also don't have any...
  10. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....