Windows 10: Trimming down Win10TP

Discus and support Trimming down Win10TP in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been doing "updates" from one Win10TP build to the next for several builds, and after each one, to trim down the space used, I've been doing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mark Phelps, May 25, 2015.

1. Trimming down Win10TP

I've been doing "updates" from one Win10TP build to the next for several builds, and after each one, to trim down the space used, I've been doing the following:
    1) removing windows.old
    2) running cleanmgr.exe and selecting all the items
    3) running DISM with StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

This has typically trimmed 40GB or more and left me with around 40GB used.

But with this latest build (10122), while I took all the same steps, and it claimed to trim 79GB off the space, I am still left with nearly 60GB of space used! I had to expand the partition to 80GB (from the former 60GB) to even complete the upgrade.

This compares to a little less than 40GB of space used for Win8.1, and with a LOT more stuff installed.

I've looked for the obvious stuff (like temp and other folders), and have still retained install.esd in the RecoveryImage folder -- but it only takes up 2.38GB.

Anyone have ideas about where else I can look, or what else I can remove?

:)

Mark Phelps, May 25, 2015
  2. ShawnSez Win User

mixradio app is not working

So far NO. The app remains unavailable on my Lumia 830 Win10TP (in Canada). It worked in Win10TP when the installation was migrated from WP8. Can NOT reinstall it though.

Trimming down Win10TP [​IMG]

ShawnSez, May 25, 2015
  3. Computer crashing when running photo edit program

Update list is too long? Trying to trim it down.

ed

EYoung2646, May 25, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Trimming down Win10TP

You might want to look at these folders when upgrading:
    • hidden folder C:\Windows\Installer
    • C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
    • Windows.edb under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\
    • hidden C:\System Volume Information

EDIT:
    It would be easy for you to look at the above folders if you download:TreeSize Free Portable
    No installation needed, just extract to desktop then run and scan C: drive

topgundcp, May 25, 2015
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Are you talking just the OS, or all the Apps\Programs you want also. That is awful lot of space just for the OS. . .my OS in a VM is only about 17 gigs. After installing Office 2013, and 10 gigs of music my total space used in an 80 gig VM is 27 gigs.

6. Mystere Win User
    Are you sure you're not counting your swap file, and hiberfile?

Mystere, May 25, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto . . .Thanks big guy. . .couldn't think of those (even though I tried). . .*Smile

8. Trimming down Win10TP

Yes,I am including the hiberfile and swap, but the 40GB of previous upgrades included them as well.

9. That includes everything but the previous 40GB included the same.

10. Thanks, I'll take a look at these.

11. Mystere Win User
    Well, depending on your memory, that could be 20GB right there...

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Trimming down Win10TP

1. Trimming down Win10TP - Similar Threads - Trimming down Win10TP

2. TRIM Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TRIM Command: is it safe to use this command:fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotifyDoes the above command make any such changes that harms the security and privacy of the system? is it safe to execute?...
  3. TRIM Command

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    TRIM Command: is it safe to use this command:fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotifyDoes the above command make any such changes that harms the security and privacy of the system? is it safe to execute?...
  4. Trimming a video

Trimming a video: I have a video that is 424 MB and slightly too long. I want to trim it and upload to Vimeo where there is a 500MB limit. I trimmed the length in Photos app and I ended up with it the right length but the file had enlarged to 528MB. I then installed MS Simple Video Trim &...
  5. Trim

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trim: Did the trim get fixed in the new CU for 2004? 162443
  6. TRIM not working

TRIM not working: When I try to run TRIM (the old defrag) on my SSD in system properties or in command prompt it won't run. TRIM is enabled with a 0 in command prompt. I'm using AHCI. What can I check? I'm using win10 2004. Thanks guys. 161913
  7. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  8. Is Trim Enabled ?

Is Trim Enabled ?: Checking a few things I ran the command to check if Trim is enabled and got this: C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I thought if it showed 0 it meant it's enabled....
  9. "TRIM"!

"TRIM"!: I want to trim out ten seconds or so from a 65MByte video. I moved the end stops to surround the required segment and hit the play arrow. I now have the required segment but its file size on disk is 120Mbytes! What have I done wrong? Thanks....
  10. Trying to install Windows 8 MS games in Win10TP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install Windows 8 MS games in Win10TP: Evidently, I need a file named ms_games_win8_x64.msi -- but searching everywhere, I can't find such a file other than at 'questionable" sites that want me to become a "premier" member! Any know where I can get this file? I tried copying over the Program Files folders...