Windows 10: Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions?

Discus and support Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Is anyone out there familiar with triple monitor setups? Specifically, anyone on here have experience with these or similar products? Amazon.com:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by PlatypusKnight, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions?

Is anyone out there familiar with triple monitor setups?

Specifically, anyone on here have experience with these or similar products?
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB to VGA Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Displays up to 1920x1080 (Supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and XP): Electronics

Amazon.com: LinkS SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to VGA Adapter for Windows: Electronics

I've been thinking about building another computer because what I use has only one VGA port and I want a third monitor.
    Then I realized, I really don't have to get another computer. I could just get another monitor and a USB to VGA device.

Who even knew these were a thing?

Any experiences, positive or negative? I don't intend to play games on the third monitor, but I will likely watch videos on it, however I'm not picky about the quality. Everyone I know swears they can tell the difference between 720 and 1080p. I'm not sure that I can, and the better quality doesn't enhance the experience for me any. As long as it's at least broadcast TV clear, and the voices are synced I'm happy.

:)

PlatypusKnight, Nov 7, 2015
  2. Rohn007 Win User

dual monitor using VGA splitter Y cable

"Splitting" a VGA signal, either using a cable like you did or a vga signal splitter box like this one can only duplicate the image:

https://www.amazon.com/Distributor-Amplifier-Ch...

The VGA standard simply does not allow you to "daisy chain" multiple monitors showing different images through a single port. Not enough "bandwidth".

To "extend" the desktop to show different images on the 2 monitors you will need a USB to VGA adapter like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/THZY-USB-3-0-to-VGA-...

This allows you to plug a VGA monitor into a USB port and have Windows recognize it.

First thing to determine is if you have USB version 2 or USB version 3 port(s). Older computers only have USB 2. Many newer computers have a mix of both. Confirm if the a USB3 version of the adapter will work in a usb2 port, some will, some won't. (Buy USB
    3 if possible, for use on future computers and monitors)

Note: the links are quickly found examples, they are not specific recommendations. You should do your own research to find the best features and price.

Do either of your monitors have any other video input ports, ie HDMI / DVI / DisplayPort etc ? If you do, buy an adapter for those newer port types so you will have the option of using the adapter on a newer computers and monitors.

Rohn007, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Computer monitor when out from a bab VGAPort on my desk top computer, can this monitor be reset?

This is the Mobile device section, I don't think a monitor counts.

If you're having trouble with hardware I would recommend contacting the manufacturer or checking the device manual.

Whether or not the problem you are experiencing can be fixed will depend on what you mean when you say "gone bad".

Try checking the Monitors menu to make sure the screen itself works.

Check that all the pins in the VGA cable you are using are in tact and straight at both ends of the cable.

Check that the VGA sockets on the monitor and PC are in tact and not damaged.

If you're not sure what you're looking for here's a link to images of VGA cables and sockets.

Bing VGA search

John_RIP_XP, Nov 7, 2015
  4. Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions?

I run triple monitors on my desktop PC but they all run off of my dedicated Video card. On my laptop I run dual displays with the second one being a USB 3 display. It uses DisplayLink software. This is the one I have, https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MB168BPlus/ May not be the exact same model but looks identical to the one I have. I've watched videos on it and didn't notice any lag. I don't game on my laptop anyway. I went this route because its nice and compact and will fit it my laptop bag with my laptop. It's the same size as a 15 inch tablet only its a monitor. Just the one cable for power and video. I have no experience with the adapters you posted, sorry.

alphanumeric, Nov 7, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    never used a usb to vga, but I do use a hdmi to vga ,for connecting my Raspberry Pi to my multiport monitor, and it works great

caperjack, Nov 7, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    Those USB to VGA stuffs are good only for regular PC tasks like spreadsheets and other documents. It's kind of slow refreshing pages so watching videos through them may not be a good idea. I had one before but I returned it. Instead I just replaced my video card. If you have a 300 watts power supply, this low end video card will solve your problem (provided that you are not going to do gaming):

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Silence-Di...IS+HD+5450+1gb

Of course you will still need to buy a 3rd monitor and an active displayport to VGA/DVI/HDMI (whatever port you have) adapter to make the third monitor work.

This is a sample of the displayport to dvi active adapter (keyword: ACTIVE , passive will not work):

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%...active+adapter

badrobot, Nov 7, 2015
  7. Except I have a laptop so that's probably not going to work right?

That's not a problem. I got two 24 inch HP monitors last year for $150.

What's the difference between active and passive?

PlatypusKnight, Nov 7, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions?

Ok my bad. I didn't know it's for a laptop you are looking for.

Either you get the ASUS one that alphanumeric posted or this one:

badrobot, Nov 7, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    You could use an old legacy PCI VGA card so you have at least one more monitor output. This is an example of EVGA GeForce 6200 512MB PCI card

WARNING! I'm talking about legacy PCI (plugs into the white legacy 32-bit PCI ports), not the new PCI-Express cards (that plug into a PCI-E 16x port)

In case that running the relevant nVidia Forceware setup conflicts with your newer nVidia card and software, you have to manually install the driver from the Device Manager.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    its already been stated that OP is using a laptop

caperjack, Nov 9, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    Oops... too fast to reply...sorry. In that case I guess the only option is a USB to VGA adapter, the faster the better.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    your laptop seem it should be new enough to have a hdmi out on it ,you would be able to use a hdmi to vga adapter similar to the usb to vga you have linked,, so are you are saying that your monitors are vga ,or your laptop only has a vga out

caperjack, Nov 9, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Yes, but this will give him up to two monitors. To connect a third he needs a USB to VGA adapter.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    but that's a tower vid card ,they have a laptop

caperjack, Nov 9, 2015
  15. Jack the OP already has a second monitor connected. The HDMI is already in use. Now they want a third monitor. What ever that is going to be its going to have to be USB to something. If I read it correctly they already have the third monitor. Not sure if it only has VGA in or not though. I went with a USB monitor because I wanted portability. If you already have the monitor your looking at a USB video card. I'm not sure it matters if its VGA or HDMI. Not in this case anyway.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Triple Monitor Q&A - USB to VGA solutions? - Similar Threads - Triple Monitor Q&A

2. Triple Monitor Viewing Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Triple Monitor Viewing Problem: My HP laptop model 17z-ca000 performs poorly when connected to my two HP monitors to provide a 3-way monitor setup. I am puzzled as to the cause since my older Dell Inspiron laptop model 5559 performs perfectly in this same 3-way setup. Specifically, the problems I have...
  3. Triple Monitor Viewing Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Triple Monitor Viewing Problem: My HP laptop model 17z-ca000 performs poorly when connected to my two HP monitors to provide a 3-way monitor setup. I am puzzled as to the cause since my older Dell Inspiron laptop model 5559 performs perfectly in this same 3-way setup. Specifically, the problems I have...
  4. Triple Monitor Viewing Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB-C adaptor for VGA monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C adaptor for VGA monitor: Hello, I have a Lenovo Yoga 530-14IKB i5 running Windows 10 which I want to hook up to two external monitors both quite old and with VGA connectivity - specifically, an HP LE2201w and a Samsung SyncMaster 225UW. The laptop only has one HDMI output so I've been getting...
  6. Triple monitor with one TV

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Triple monitor with one TV: I can't turn off the TV without the two other monitors blinking on and off frequently. Is there a way to prevent that? submitted by /u/abedtime [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ktbfsa/triple_monitor_with_one_tv/
  7. Triple monitor setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Triple monitor setup: So I am using a triple monitor setup using the serial port on my motherboard, the serial on the graphics card, and the hdmi on the graphics card, but the instant I try to use the on board serial I cannot put my pc into sleep mode, and I am now confused. Thanks in advance...
  8. a vga monitor

a vga monitor: hi I purchased a better graphics card for one of my pc. s regretfully I sold it on. this was a gtx 980. now the new gtx 1070 will not recognise my vga monitor. I have tried running it through various adapters . i.e vga to dvi and hdmi to vga. hdmi to dvi. all no good....
  9. Usb to vga worth it?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Usb to vga worth it?: I have an old Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2 motherboard in a slim line pc and it is no longer outputting video signal. How do I go about resolving this issue? Can I just buy a usb to vga adaptor? It doesn’t have to be powerful as it’s only to display a program on a touch screen...
  10. Triple monitor with Windows 10

Triple monitor with Windows 10: Hello everyone, I currently have 3 monitors. 1 LG 34UM59-P 21:9 2560x1080 2 LG 27MP68HM-P 16:9 1920x1080 I've been running the Ultra wide for some time now without any problems. Yesterday I got the 2 27" monitors and at first it seemed to work. All three...