Windows 10: Trojan Wacatac

Discus and support Trojan Wacatac in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am having difficulty in removing this malware.At Windows Security, I actioned 'Quarantine' and 'Remove' but not effective, hence the screenshot.I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joshua818, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Joshua818 Win User

Trojan Wacatac

Hi, I am having difficulty in removing this malware.At Windows Security, I actioned 'Quarantine' and 'Remove' but not effective, hence the screenshot.I have tried some of the online free malware and it shows it had resolved the problem, however, when switch back to Windows Security, it still detected the malware.Kindly advise what action that I can take. Thank you.

:)

Joshua818, Feb 20, 2024

2. Trojan Script Wacatac B!ml

Hi,

I am using Windows 11.I went to a hotel website , trying to make a reservation , after entering the dates, pressed check availability or check rates , A red screen came up , with a virus warning, Windows defender detected it. I quarantine it and said Detected : Trojan Script Wacatac B!ml, severe.

I used Windows defender to remove the trojan and now the status showed : a threat or app was Removed from this device.

based on this information, can I assume that this trojan is gone forever, or it's still hiding somewhere.

Thank you.

John Boyadjian, Feb 20, 2024
  3. Removing Wacatac trojan - Windows 10

Running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8940 desktop with a 512GB SSD for the C: drive and a 1TB HDD for the D: drive.

On 4/15/2023, Windows Defender detected the Wacatac trojan. It reported a "severe" threat. I clicked on the box to perform the recommended actions, but Defender did not report that the item was removed or quarantined. I tried both.

I looked at the details of that Defender showed and deleted all of the affected files. They were all in an AppData directory that was not the current AppData; the directories were part of data I had copied onto the XPS8940 from my prior desktop. So I deleted all of the listed files. I believe I deleted all of the files listed by Defender, but guess it's always possible that there are other infected files.

Defender continued to report the wacatac trojan. Having read on here that this virus can add a lot of registry entries, etc. I did a system restore to the one available restore point from 4/13/2023. That was successful.

Then at some point, D: drive started behaving slowly. Windows Explorer ran very slow and when i tried to deleted some unnecessary folders, it was very slow. I could delete a single file successfully.

I ran malwarebytes and it reported no threats.

I ran iobit and it reported no threats.

The problems with the D: drive started affecting the boot process. I would just get the black screen with the large "Dell" logo and the spinning circle of white dots, that would go on for 15 minutes or more. Sometimes it would say "Press any key in the next 8 seconds to stop checking..." The first couple times i did that, it went to the sign-in screen and the PC seemed to be operating OK (it boots off the SSD). But it got to the point that it was nearly impossible to boot up.

So I opened up the PC and disconnected the cables to the D: drive. Then it booted up as normal (pretty fast). Then i ran:

- Windows Defender - still reports the wacatac trojan

- Malwarebytes - no threats reported

- Windows Safety Scanner - ran successfully and the log reports no threats.

QUESTION 1:

At this point, can I be confident the wacatac trojan is no longer a threat?

QUESTION 2:

How do I fix the D: drive? If I reconnect it, I suspect it is going to interfere with the boot process again. There is data on that HDD I don't want to lose. I was thinking perhaps i could remove it from the PC and put it in a housing with a USB connection. Then after boot-up, I could scan it with Windows Safety Scanner, Defender and Malwarebytes. Then try to run chkdsk? Or perhaps some drivers are damaged?

Should I consider installing a new HDD in the PC and just try to copy the data off the old one?

QUESTION 3:

Should i upgrade to Windows 11? Seems like i should sort out the D: drive issue first.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide.

Brian

Brian S in OC, Feb 20, 2024
  4. Samuria Win User

Trojan Wacatac

Samuria, Feb 20, 2024
Thema:

Trojan Wacatac

1. Trojan Wacatac - Similar Threads - Trojan Wacatac

2. Trojan wacatac trouble

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan wacatac trouble: So about two days ago I downloaded a trojan accidentally. It's under the name Wacatac. I tried running windows defender full scan and it could not remove it. Then I used TotalAV scan, cleaned my temp files, did three more windows defender scans, two more TotalAV scans, ran...
  3. Trojan wacatac trouble

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trojan wacatac trouble: So about two days ago I downloaded a trojan accidentally. It's under the name Wacatac. I tried running windows defender full scan and it could not remove it. Then I used TotalAV scan, cleaned my temp files, did three more windows defender scans, two more TotalAV scans, ran...
  4. Trojan wacatac trouble

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Problemas con Wacatac Trojan en archivos HTML creados por nuestra compañia.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problemas con Wacatac Trojan en archivos HTML creados por nuestra compañia.: Estamos teniendo problemas con defender puesto que cuando creamos archivos html que contienen la etiqueta <script> y zipeamos el contenido automaticamente defender los detecta como virus. Ya escanemaos las maquinas con diferentes antiviruas y ninguna detecta el virus, solo...
  6. Problemas con Wacatac Trojan en archivos HTML creados por nuestra compañia.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problemas con Wacatac Trojan en archivos HTML creados por nuestra compañia.: Estamos teniendo problemas con defender puesto que cuando creamos archivos html que contienen la etiqueta <script> y zipeamos el contenido automaticamente defender los detecta como virus. Ya escanemaos las maquinas con diferentes antiviruas y ninguna detecta el virus, solo...
  7. Trojan Wacatac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan Wacatac: Hi, I am having difficulty in removing this malware.At Windows Security, I actioned 'Quarantine' and 'Remove' but not effective, hence the screenshot.I have tried some of the online free malware and it shows it had resolved the problem, however, when switch back to Windows...
  8. Trojan Wacatac

Trojan Wacatac: Hi, I am having difficulty in removing this malware.At Windows Security, I actioned 'Quarantine' and 'Remove' but not effective, hence the screenshot.I have tried some of the online free malware and it shows it had resolved the problem, however, when switch back to Windows...
  9. my laptop has a trojan virus called wacatac and windows defender isnt doing anything please...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop has a trojan virus called wacatac and windows defender isnt doing anything please...: i got a trojan virus somehow i ddnt click any links when i went to defender it wasnt doing anything the hacker that used the trojan got my discord im worried he might get other info...
  10. my laptop has a trojan virus called wacatac and windows defender isnt doing anything please...

my laptop has a trojan virus called wacatac and windows defender isnt doing anything please...: i got a trojan virus somehow i ddnt click any links when i went to defender it wasnt doing anything the hacker that used the trojan got my discord im worried he might get other info...