Windows 10: trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

Discus and support trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three computers (two are running Windows 7 and one is running Windows 10). I am trying to share files between the three machines. From both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hsikkema, Aug 22, 2017.

1. hsikkema Win User

trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

I have three computers (two are running Windows 7 and one is running Windows 10). I am trying to share files between the three machines. From both windows 7 machines, I can access all three machines. However, I cannot access either windows 7 machine from my windows 10 machine.
    I can see the share name as shown below:

trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10 [​IMG]

However, when I click on the sharename, I get error messages:

The only firewall I have is the windows firewall (same on each machine).
    Any ideas on how I can get the file access to work on Windows 10?

:)

hsikkema, Aug 22, 2017
  2. PJD1021 Win User

Getting updated to a Windows 10 machine that's offline

I have a Windows 10 Enterprise machine that's offline(No internet or network access at all). I also have a Win7 machine that is online. Is there a way to download Win10 update and copy them over to the Win10 machine from the Win7 computer?

PJD1021, Aug 22, 2017
  3. LilBro Win User
    Windows 10 cannot access other computer on network

Another bothersome problem with my new Windows 10 laptop. Both my Win7 and my OSX boxes have no trouble seeing, accessing, uploading, downloading, etc with each other. My Win 10 unit, however, can only see the other units but cannot access them. Same thing
    with the NAS access. When I try to access another computer, which was completely, totally, and thoroughly accessible on my former Win7 / Win10 laptop I get this pop-up box:

[Window Title]

Open Folder

[Content]

\\BLACK-BEAUTY is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network is not present or not started.

Now the Win10 box does say it has joined the Homegroup whereas before it said the network wasn't available and could not connect.

So, what needs or should be done, besides wiping the SSD and installing Win7.

LilBro, Aug 22, 2017
  4. trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

When I have experienced a simIlar situation (more than once) a solution has been to temporarily turn off the firewall on the unavailable pc and then reboot all machines. Then amazingly the unaccessible pc becomes accessible. After turning the firewall back on it still works.

oldtraveler, Aug 22, 2017
  5. hsikkema Win User
    I can confirm that when I turn off the Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 machines (machines I have trouble accessing), I have access to the files. However, when I reboot and turn the firewall back on, I lose all access again. So what changes can I make to my firewall to allow continued access?

hsikkema, Aug 22, 2017
  6. On the properties window of a shared folder have you enabled "everyone" with full control in the Security tab?

Have you rebooted all pcs?

oldtraveler, Aug 22, 2017
  7. hsikkema Win User
    I had all the setting you suggested set correctly. I set the Firewall settings back to their defaults and then followed https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx
    • Open Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Windows Firewall.
    • In the left pane, click Advanced settings, and in the console tree, click Inbound Rules.
    • Under Inbound Rules, locate the rules File and Printer Sharing (NB-Session-In) and File and Printer Sharing (SMB-In).
    • For each rule, right-click the rule, and then click Enable Rule.

Then following a reboot I was able to access files both ways.

Thank you for the help and the pointers to get this working.

hsikkema, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

1. trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10 - Similar Threads - trouble accessing Win7

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Networking issue Accessing Win10 & WIN7 computers vise-versa on wi-fi networking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking issue Accessing Win10 & WIN7 computers vise-versa on wi-fi networking: Hi Greetings!I am using a networking in my office in which some computers are running on Win7 and some on Win10 inclusing laptop.We have connected all computers through Wi-fi networking system on auto DHPC.My problem is that all computes/laptops having Win7 are accessible to...
  6. Win10 and win7 network woes

Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  7. troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10

troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10: I think I have the discovery, encription, pwd off, c file system share settings on both, but the win10 system cannot see the win7 one, and the win7 one can see the win10 one, but says the access is not allowed. What can I check now? I will recheck the win10 c drive...
  8. Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers

Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers: I just updated my Windows 7 Pro laptop to Windows 10 Pro (1903) and now I can no longer see other computers on my home network. The others have both been Win10 machines for some time (recently updated to 1903) and I was able to see them in my Win7 network (via HomeGroup...
  9. Networking Win10 with Win7

Networking Win10 with Win7: how to connect a win 10 pc with a win 7 pc in a local network via wifi ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-win10-with-win7/31128bd4-e0ca-434b-9f02-73990826111c
  10. access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan

access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan: A LAN has two win7pro pcs, a new win10Home laptop (replacing an older machine) and other laptops. The two win7pro pcs and the new win10 laptop form a development system for database/app/webapp software, and must be able to create & write files to most any folder on any of the...