Windows 10: Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Discus and support Trouble Assigning Drive Letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RadCazz, Jan 3, 2018.

1. RadCazz Win User

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D."
    I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K."

I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else.

I selected Disk Management from Win + x Power Menu, but I can't re-assign "D." (I think because it is already taken).

Is there a workaround for this?

I'm thinking I may have to plug in my HDs and juggling around the letters. That's the only thing I can think of. But is there a simpler way?

:)

RadCazz, Jan 3, 2018

2. WD Passport Drive with Windows 10

I am having trouble assigning m WD Passport external drive a letter in Windows 10. The drive is recognized but I can not access it in Explorer Window.

JonathanBartholomew, Jan 3, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Blue question mark over drive

If you click, change Drive Letter and Paths, can you assign a drive letter to that partition?

If so, assign drive letter W, since that was its original Drive Letter . . .

DaveM121, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

The usual method is to move one drive to another letter such as change your D: to M:, re-letter your desired drive to D: then change M: to whatever you want. With External drives the downside would be the possibility of the letter changing when plugging into a different port, I leave mine connected.

Berton, Jan 3, 2018
  5. Edwin New Member
    Also, if there are file paths or executable paths, they might get broken.

Edwin, Jan 3, 2018
  6. caffeine Win User
    The reply given by Berton is correct. I would like to offer you an explanation of how Windows handles drive letters. Knowing this can be of value to you in the future.

When no drive letter has been assigned, Windows assigns the next letter available to the device (external drive, flash drive, SD card, etc.). A: and B: are rarely used, and C:\ is reserved for your default boot drive. If you have an additional internal drive or an optical drive (CD/DVD for example) it is assigned the letter D. Windows' pool of drive letters is A-Z.

Here is how I do this.
    First, I always perform changes of this type from an account with Administrator privileges. It is not absolutely necessary for everything, but it bypasses entering administrator passwords and many "not allowed" types of messages. I usually start with Z: and move backward from there when assigning miscellaneous devices. This is helpful to avoid any conflicts with previous assignments. For example all external drives for all backups for each individual computer/device receives a designation of Z: . Any external drive used for storage not needed or wanted on C:\ receives a designation of S: to indicate STORAGE. Miscellaneous drives get backward assignment (Y,X,W,...) for drive letters.

How does this work? In my experience the drive letter assignment applies only to the computer which assigned the letter. All other computers will default to the next available drive letter defaults.
    How can the drive be identified on other computers? Under This PC all recognized drives are listed. If you right click the drive you wish to be easily identified, and choose rename, you can name the drive. It is exactly the same process as renaming a folder or file. The result is that you have assigned a volume label to the device. This will not change when the device is plugged into other computers.

I hope you find this helpful.

Edwin's post beat mine. Yes, change any existing paths for links as necessary. Be mindful of the new designation when creating new paths for anything.

caffeine, Jan 3, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Possibly useful note: you can assign a drive letter to an external disk- but only one per letter.
    Example: plug in your external drive. Say it's allocated E:

Now change its drive letter to T:

When you next plug it in, it should be assigned T:

dalchina, Jan 4, 2018
  8. caffeine Win User

Thanks for adding that. I assumed that to be a given, but it is better to include it just to make sure.

caffeine, Jan 4, 2018
  9. RadCazz Win User
    Especially for moi! Lol.

Thanks everyone! Working on re-assigning letters now. Reputation spread, if possible.

Have a great 2018!!! Can't wait to see new developments in the PC community!

RadCazz, Jan 5, 2018
  10. Just a reminder of a couple of things that you might run into.

Windows does not want you to use A, B, C, or D as your selected partition letters.
    A and B are from many years ago when computers used other devices.
    C of course is used for the partition you are booted into.
    D is for you first inline CD/DVD player.

When you mess with them Windows 10 can be confused.

The other 22 letters are your choice to organize as you see fit.

Another problem you might run into is other programs seeing your drive/partition.
    Some time the letter you designated will be change with some 3 rd party programs.

**The way I solve that problem is to rename every partition to something I understand.**

If another programs sees your "E" as "G" the name of the partition will let you know what it is by the name.
    If you move the drive to another computer the name of the partition will allow you to know what it is, because the computer you moved the drive to will probably not use the same letter.

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters [​IMG]

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters [​IMG]

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 5, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    I have C: and D: assigned to the 2 usable partitions on the only HDD, E: as the ODD, F:, G: and H: for the 3 External USB HDDs. The 2 NAS drives attached to my Router are Y: and Z: as some time back an earlier Windows started lettering network-attached drives beginning with Z: and working back up the alphabet.

Berton, Jan 5, 2018
  12. caffeine Win User
    Thanks for the rep, RadCazz.

caffeine, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters - Similar Threads - Trouble Assigning Drive

2. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  3. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  4. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  5. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  6. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  7. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...