Windows 10: Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD

Discus and support Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm trying to create an image, for backup purposes, of my Toshiba laptop, W10 OS, using the built in backup utility. I'm using a 1 TB external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mr Ed, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD

I'm trying to create an image, for backup purposes, of my Toshiba laptop, W10 OS, using the built in backup utility. I'm using a 1 TB external hard drive. When I try to create the image onto the external drive the 'proceed' button in the dialogue box is greyed out and therefore not clickable. The external drive has been fully formatted and IS being recognized. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

:)

Mr Ed, Nov 30, 2016

2. How do I restore a system image to a NEW hard drive?

I have a failing HDD in my laptop, so I need to replace it, but it's the drive with the OS on.

I created a system image, and saved it to the laptop's 2nd HDD.

I now have a 3rd HDD, a new one to replace the 1st one. I've plugged it in using an external casing.

How do I use the system image to put my OS onto the new, 3rd HDD?

Every time I try to restore, it just wants to put it back on the 1st, failing, HDD.

Estragon Helmer, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Windows needs to format drive that Recovery Environment is running on

I was trying to restore it using the "Hold shift when you press Restart, go to Troubleshooting->Advanced->Restore System Image". The system image was created onto my external HDD using the Backup and Restore from the Control Panel on the failed internal
    HDD (before it failed, obviously). I reinstalled Windows 10 on the new HDD from a USB if that helps.

MatthewCCole, Nov 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Macrium Reflect Free has proven to be much more reliable and has more features than Windows built-in imaging. That's what most of us here use and recommend:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    I totally agree with @NavyLCDR about Macrium Reflect. It is considerably better, more flexible and more reliable than Windows backup.

essenbe, Nov 30, 2016
  6. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks, I've heard of Macrium Reflect. I'll give it a try. Evidently, backup is flawed in W 10.

Mr Ed, Nov 30, 2016
  7. Helmut Win User
    Does not work here either, Windows 10 System Image does not work to my NAS box, it used to work with Windows 8.1 OK.

I have had discussions with the NAS box manufacturer who have checked it out, and a long session with MS demonstrating it not working. Even re-installing Windows 10 and various other checks.
    They finally came back to say it's not supported.

There are various errors listed in the Event Viewer related to this, I don't have the knowledge to suss any further, other than to register a complaint to MS Support.

I use Macrium Reflect as an alternative which seems to work (also did with Win 8.1), though I have not had an occasion to use the image as yet.

Helmut, Dec 1, 2016
  8. Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD

I use windows 10 system image. It would only work using the NTFS file system.
    I have successfully backed up and restored an image.
    Currently I backup to internal HD and then copy image to external HD formatted with exfat

beyondadream, Dec 1, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

When the external drive containing the Windows backup is formatted as NTFS it works just fine.
    Haven't tried exFat yet.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 1, 2016
  10. It won't backup to or restore from exFat. I tried a few times. You can copy a backed up image to an external drive using exFat. It must be copied back to a NTFS drive to restore it, which is what I do.

beyondadream, Dec 1, 2016
  11. Mr Ed Win User
    OP here. Well, I wound up with Acronis. So far, so good. I'll try macrium if, for some reason, I don't like Acronis.

Mr Ed, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD - Similar Threads - Trouble Creating Image

2. Trouble using the system image regarding the date and time of the image created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble using the system image regarding the date and time of the image created: So I have created 1-2 system images and have made a backup of all my files, programs and settings on April 28-29. When I went to the system image recovery window in the Windows Recovery Environment, in the re-image your computer window, the system image backup date shows the...
  3. Trouble using the system image regarding the date and time of the image created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble using the system image regarding the date and time of the image created: So I have created 1-2 system images and have made a backup of all my files, programs and settings on April 28-29. When I went to the system image recovery window in the Windows Recovery Environment, in the re-image your computer window, the system image backup date shows the...
  4. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  5. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  6. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  8. Trouble making a backup to an external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble making a backup to an external HDD: I'm making a backup of my files to an external HDD I bought recently. Both my SSD and HDD are the same size, but Windows is saying there's not enough space. And the space that's already being taken up is already larger than what's on my SSD. Any help?...
  9. Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC: I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10. However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external...
  10. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...