Windows 10: Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive

Discus and support Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there folks As the title says, I've been having trouble finding/mapping my network attached drive. I can ping it using cmd just fine but mapping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by captaintweed, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive

Hi there folks

As the title says, I've been having trouble finding/mapping my network attached drive. I can ping it using cmd just fine but mapping it, using windows explorer, is not proving successful. cannot see it through network view either. Wondering if any of you have encountered anything similar?

Worth mentioning i'm running windows 10 tech preview build 9926 through VMware 10

Thanks

:)

captaintweed, Jan 28, 2015
  2. Nebroc2nd Win User

No longer able to connect to NAS over network since update to 1709 16229.19

Since updating i'm no longer able to find my NAS devices on the network nor connect with previous mapped drives. I'm assuming it's the update that caused it because i'm still able to find the NAS devices on another system with version 1703 build 15063.674.
    Is there a fix for this? or just wait it out in the hope further updates allow connections once again??

thanks

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

Nebroc2nd, Jan 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10. I cannot access my network storage drive.

This is an old question and I had a slightly different circumstance, but similar, and finally solved it. I was getting "cannot find" and "error 53" trying to map a drive to another computer in my house that has network access sharing (NAS). Here's my story,
    hope it helps someone.

My NAS computer has two network adapters - one connects to the cable modem for Internet, and the other connects to the house LAN. I have some Internet filtering software on that NAS computer, and common shared folders on the NAS computer's hard drive. Before
    Windows 10 I would map a local drive to \\192.168.1.1\data without any worries.

On Windows 10 laptop, I could browse the web (goes through the NAS computer) and ping the NAS computer. The ping and ipconfig show the NAS computer's IP as 192.168.1.1. So TCP/IP works fine.

When I tried to map a drive to \\192.168.1.1\data, would get a long delay (like the IP address was wrong) and eventually "System error 53 the network path was not found".

I tried a number of things that posts like Microsoft techs recommend - make sure the firewall is off, create a new DNS domain, etc. which is all BS if configuration is just NAS default like mine. (I just turned on "share internet connection" and didn't do
    anything else on the NAS PC.)

I gave up and lived without the ability to map the drive for some time.

I solved my problem today by looking at the NAS computer's network configuration, and noting the IP of the second interface, and trying to map that. In my case it is 192.168.173.1, which is hooked to the cable modem on the NAS computer.

Inexplicably, I can map a drive to \\192.168.173.1\data although my laptop used to map \\192.168.1.1\data and its default gateway is 192.168.1.1.

I was prompted and had to enter <nas pc name>\<user> and <password> like many other posts suggest.

Seems like a peculiar behavior with NAS and not Windows 10. I'm happy my mapped drive works again.

mi-knowitall, Jan 28, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive

Did you try resetting your router and your NAS?

Then check your Win 10 settings for file sharing.

Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive [​IMG]

badrobot, Jan 29, 2015
  5. I've reset both and scoured my settings for anything i could think of that would help.

I've tried using the command prompt to map the drive but apparently it can't be found.
    Using my browser you can see that the os can 'see' the nas drive, but somehow can't map it

Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive [​IMG]

captaintweed, Jan 29, 2015
  6. Alright chocolates.

Managed to solve this one on my own. I'll detail what i've done below so that anyone else can do the same and enjoy NAS functionality on their rigs running windows 10. Bear in mind i'm running Windows 10 Technical Preview in VMware; this probably won't work if you are running Win10 on its on on a rig. Also for reasons I'll detail below I've not connected my NAS but rather a common folder so that I can transfer stuff between my rig & windows 10 in VMware.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any loss or damage as a result of you following this guide. This is simply what I've done to try and solve a problem and so far it works fine. If you want to give it a try, go for it.

1: With Windows 10 running, go to the taskbar and click on the tab entitled 'VM'

2: Select settings (Ctrl-D)

3: Under the options tab, selet 'Shared folders'
    It will warn you not to expose your files to programs in the virtual machine as this may put your computer & files at risk and only to share folders if you trust the virtual machine. To avoid the potential for grief I've not linked my NAS here, rather a folder in my HDD that i can use as a swap point for applications, folders etc.

4: On the right hand side, select 'Always Enabled' or 'Enabled until next power off or suspend' at your discretion. You may select 'Map as a network drive in windows guests' as I have if you like.

5: Click 'Add' and select what drive/folder you'd like to use as a shared folder. It will open a wizard to facilitate this.

6: Once complete, you can access this location within your Windows 10 enviroment by using Windows Explorer/Network/vmware-host/Shared folders/xxxxxx

So that's that. I hope you've found this useful for your situation.
    If anyone knows of a better solution for simply mapping a NAS drive in an emulated Windows 10 environment then do please share. Otherwise God bless and enjoy

captaintweed, Jan 30, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    Good to know. *Smile Thanks for sharing your solution.

badrobot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive

1. Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive - Similar Threads - Trouble finding mapping

2. Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives: I can no longer access NAS devices. I have 2 NAS: Synology DS420+ and WDEX4100, that I have been using for several years, mapped to Y and Z respectively. A couple days ago, I lost connectivity. Came in to my office in the morning and the drives were gone from File Explorer. I...
  3. Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost connectivity to NAS drives as mapped drives: I can no longer access NAS devices. I have 2 NAS: Synology DS420+ and WDEX4100, that I have been using for several years, mapped to Y and Z respectively. A couple days ago, I lost connectivity. Came in to my office in the morning and the drives were gone from File Explorer. I...
  4. Map Network Drive fails to find my WD Mycloud NAS drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map Network Drive fails to find my WD Mycloud NAS drive: Hi Guys,I am the proud owner of a Brand New HP All in one PC running windows 11.I am trying to map my NAS Drive and also Drive C: on my existing HP All in one PC without success.On the New PC when I select "This PC" I can see both my current Dive C: my old PC HEWLETPACKARD...
  5. Map Network Drive fails to find my WD Mycloud NAS drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map Network Drive fails to find my WD Mycloud NAS drive: Hi Guys,I am the proud owner of a Brand New HP All in one PC running windows 11.I am trying to map my NAS Drive and also Drive C: on my existing HP All in one PC without success.On the New PC when I select "This PC" I can see both my current Dive C: my old PC HEWLETPACKARD...
  6. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  7. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  8. Map NAS Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Map NAS Drive: I just purchased a new computer and would like to map my NAS drive. I was able to do this with my old computer but for some reason, the NAS does not show up as a computer on the new one. I can see the NAS drive as a media and other device but cannot map the drive from here....
  9. NAS Drive Trouble

NAS Drive Trouble: Hi, I've been using a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra with no problems until a few days ago. Now it wont show up on my PC on network. The only way it will work is if I plug it in directly to my PC which I can't do as I only have 1 ethernet LAN port which I use to connect to the...
  10. Unable to map NAS drive

Unable to map NAS drive: I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties. The NAS drive is...