Windows 10: Trouble initializing a USB drive

Discus and support Trouble initializing a USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having trouble initializing an HDD that I have connected to my PC via USB. I'm stuck, and I need some ideas. Below is detail. I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pcrowley203, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Trouble initializing a USB drive

I am having trouble initializing an HDD that I have connected to my PC via USB. I'm stuck, and I need some ideas. Below is detail.

I am running Windows 10. The outboard HDD disk in question was previously the internal C: drive on this PC. I replaced it with a larger drive about four months ago purely so I would have more storage capacity; it was running fine at the time I replaced it, and it has been stored carefully since. I am using a USB 2.0 to IDE SATA adapter cable to connect the disk to my PC via one of the PC's USB ports. I've used this same cable to connect other HDDs to this same PC in the same manner successfully in the past.

When I navigate to ThisPC, the drive does not appear. I right-click on START, choose Disk Management, and the following is displayed:

I click OK, and the following is displayed:

I run DiskPart, and I get this:

The Event Viewer shows me this:

... and this:

... and this:

Note that the second to last screen says the disk was "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".

I have no idea where to go from here.

Easy responses would be "the disk is bad" or "the disk is old and no longer supported". I doubt that either is the case. The disk worked fine until it was excised from the machine and replaced four months ago. Since then, it's been stored carefully and not subjected to impact, moisture, extremes of temperature, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

pcrowley203, Jul 10, 2018

2. The drive is connected with USB but will not Initialize on Windows 10

Hello Moksha,

As you are facing issues with accessing the USB drive on your device, we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue confined to the specific drive?

Try few of the below workarounds to identify the cause for the issue:

• Connect the USB drive to different ports and check if it is working fine. This will let us know if the issue is with the port.
    • Connect the USB drive to different computer with different ports to check if the issue persists with the drive or the computer.

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I recommend you to install all the pending updates from Windows Updates on your device and check if you are able to access the USB drive.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 10, 2018
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Trouble initializing a USB drive

Unspecified USB Pen Drive

Hi,

This can be caused by a driver issue or virus-infected USB drive. For further isolation of the issue and for us to provide a solution suitable to your pen drive concern, we need additional information. Can you answer the questions below?

• When did this happen?
    • Were there any recent changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    • Does it appear in the disk management?
    • Can you connect other USB drives and see if the same error will occur?

In the meantime, try updating the USB driver as an initial troubleshooting step and see if the error will occur again when you connect your USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Look for Universal Serial Bus controllers and click it to expand.
    • Select the driver then right-click on it and select Properties.
    • Under Driver tab, click the Update Driver
      button to update the driver.

We're looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

Trouble initializing a USB drive

1. Trouble initializing a USB drive - Similar Threads - Trouble initializing USB

2. USB port not working initially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not working initially: My usb port doesn't work and get recognized by windows after booting up initially, but if I wiggle the usb connector a little bit or replug it it works fine again nitro 5...
  3. USB port not working initially

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not working initially: My usb port doesn't work and get recognized by windows after booting up initially, but if I wiggle the usb connector a little bit or replug it it works fine again nitro 5...
  4. Trouble Initiating New SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Initiating New SSD: Im trying to initiate a Samsung 870QVO SSD on my laptop using a USB 3.0 port and USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. The laptop is a HP 15Z-AW000. When I install the SSD internally, BIOS recognizes it. I cannot boot windows from the HDD on USB. So I have to clone the drive using the...
  5. HDD drives not initializing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives not initializing: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  6. Initialize Hard drive

Initialize Hard drive: Hi all, A friend of mine asked me if I can help him get his laptop back into working order. It is a Samsung model NP740U3L When I turn it on, after about a minute, it tells me: All boot option tried Press F4 for repair After pressing F4 it comes back to the same screen as...
  7. USB troubles

USB troubles: Hi, recently I've been having an issue with my usb ports. I can currently have my keyboard, mouse and an external hardrive plugged in, but if I try to plug in anything else, one of them will be deactivated, as if its prioritizing certain ports. I've tried all of my usb ports...
  8. Having trouble installing windows from a USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having trouble installing windows from a USB drive: I'm trying to do a clean install on my computer. I plugged in my new SSD and unplugged all my drives from their SATA cables. I installed the media tool to a USB, not problems there. When I plug in the USB and try to boot from it, my computer goes to the MSI motherboard screen...
  9. Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble with Media Creation Tool & USB Drive: Tonight I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 for my PC. I used the Tool on my brother's PC (which also runs Win 10). I followed all the instructions to save to a USB Drive, and it was going along nicely until I got the following Error message: "There...
  10. Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive: I have a 2TB USB drive connected to my router and I am currently copying my media files to it so I can access them from other devices. All seems to be working but at times have trouble with not having permission to change/delete files. When I try to to change the owner to...