Windows 10: Trouble installing Macrium boot files on an external drive partition

Discus and support Trouble installing Macrium boot files on an external drive partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have two external USB backup drives. Both work fine when backing up my system image. However, disk #2 installed and will boot the Macrium recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RknRusty, Jan 25, 2017.

1. RknRusty Win User

Trouble installing Macrium boot files on an external drive partition

I have two external USB backup drives. Both work fine when backing up my system image. However, disk #2 installed and will boot the Macrium recovery program. But when I try to install the Macrium boot files on disk #1, it will not give me the option to select that drive, and only offers the DVD or an ISO.

Could it have anything to do with the left-right order that I've installed? And #2, the one that is bootable, also says "Active." I don't see a way to change that on disk #1

Thanks for any help.
    Rusty

:)

RknRusty, Jan 25, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

I want Windows 10 Home back.

Do you have a backup of all your personal files & folders? If not save them to an external hard drive/usb stick/memory card depending on the size of the files you wish to save - external hard drive is best. You could also use Macrium reflect free to create
    an image of the entire computer's hard drive in case somthing goes wrong - don't forget to create the Macrium boot/rescue disk in order to restore the image.

You'll have to do a clean install of Windows 10 to get home back as any upgrade from Win 7 ultimate will give you Win 10 pro afaik. You'll need a usb memory stick, download & run the media creation tool & choose create media for another device/pc, then choose
    to save the files to the usb stick.

Restart & boot from the newly created Windows 10 usb disk (to boot from it you may have to press F2 or F7 or F8 to override the normal boot, check with your computer's manufacturer for the correct F button), choose clean install/keep nothing & follow the
    prompts of deleting the partitions & choosing the newly clean partition to install Win 10 - it will create the partitions in needs itself.

Time Lady, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Upgrading Windows 10 Solid State Drive

Windows 10 Anniversary will not install because I don't have enough free space. I purchased a larger SSD and used Macrium Reflect to clone the new hard drive partitions. The new drive does not boot. Is there any way of doing this, short of installing
    Windows 10, then the anniversary update, and then all the installed Program Files?

WoodworkerGreenDog, Jan 25, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Open Admin Command and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    select partition 1
    active
    exit

topgundcp, Jan 25, 2017
  5. RknRusty Win User
    Hi Topgun,
    I did that and it is now marked "Active," but still no go from the Macrium bootable media wizard. USB is grayed out
    Rusty

RknRusty, Jan 26, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jan 26, 2017
  7. RknRusty Win User
    Yeah, maybe that's how I did it on the other drive, didn't think of assigning it a letter. I'll check out the link before I do anything. Thanks for the answers, and I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm just trying to make things convenient in case my son or wife ever has to restore an image.
    Rusty

RknRusty, Jan 26, 2017
  8. RknRusty Win User

That did it. I guess I just stumbled into doing it right on the other drive. I also learned I allocated more space than I needed too.
    Thanks for the help, Topgun.
    Rusty

RknRusty, Jan 26, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Glad we could help. BTW, Macrium Rescue only takes about 270MB of space. However, allocate 512MB just to give it a little bit of extra space.

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble installing Macrium boot files on an external drive partition - Similar Threads - Trouble installing Macrium

2. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  3. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  4. macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot

macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot: This old laptop only has one drive bay, so I use Macrium and clone the system partition to an empty drive in a usb caddy. The partition is cloned and marked active on the new empty drive. However when i transfer the hdd from caddy to laptop, laptop does not boot. what...
  5. Trouble Seeing External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Seeing External Drive: I have been using a WD My Passport external drive since 2006. Beginning in Dec 2019, none of my laptops can "see" the external drive when I plug in the USB cable. Using Disk Manager, it says that there are 931 GB Unallocated and disk not been initialized. What happened?...
  6. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive: My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered. I use Reflect to create...
  7. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  8. Boot Macrium from other drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Macrium from other drive: I followed this tutorial to add Macrium to another HDD on one of my PCs and it worked fine: FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD But when I tried to do the same thing to two other PCs they would not boot to the Macrium partition. No error...
  9. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI: Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a...
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...