Windows 10: Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN

Discus and support Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network attached storage system and when I am out of network I connect through a VPN and map the drive to access. A few computers have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eliepins, Mar 26, 2017.

1. eliepins Win User

Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN

I have a network attached storage system and when I am out of network I connect through a VPN and map the drive to access.

A few computers have been able to connect to the VPN and map the drive while others can connect to the VPN but then when trying to map the drive it says network error "windows cannot access (folder location)"

Anyone know what the issue may be? I suspect it's a setting on those individual computers not being able to map the drive rather than an issue with my NAS system.

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN [​IMG]

:)

eliepins, Mar 26, 2017

2. Mapping Network Drive over VPN

I have two computers (a laptop and a desktop PC) both running Windows 10. On both of them I have connected to our work's VPN. On the laptop I have successfully mapped a remote server as the network drive 'Z'. On the desktop PC (using the same information),
    I get the following error message:-

Windows cannot access \\[REDACTED]

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

They are both sat next to each other on the same network (and in any case Diagnose doesn't throw up any clues). I have tried turning off the Firewall to see whether that could be the problem, but there is no change.

The desktop PC is a brand new installation of Windows 10 that I installed last week.

Edition - Windows 10 Home

Version - 1703

OS Build 15063.674

System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

The laptop PC was an upgrade from Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

Edition - Windows 10 Home

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.19

System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Any clue as to why these machines are behaving differently would be appreciated.

RichardSmithHIP, Mar 26, 2017
  3. Mapping Network Drive over VPN

Hi Richard,

Your Windows 10 question is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. To get an accurate resolution, please
    post your question in the TechNet Windows 10 Networking forum.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Mar 26, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

What are you using for VPN?

bro67, Mar 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Trouble mapping a drive over a VPN - Similar Threads - Trouble mapping drive

2. Mapped drives continuously reconnect with bad password over vpn.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped drives continuously reconnect with bad password over vpn.: Title. I'm having an issue where when a user's password expires or changes, the shared drives that use those credentials continuously attempt to reconnect multiple times per second, spamming the logs. I understand that windows doesn't lock accounts out if the same password...
  3. how to map a network drive over the internet

how to map a network drive over the internet: would appreciate if someone could point me to a how-to on the subject field. we already have a vpn set up - but I'm not sure what parameters I need to tweak to get the mapping to work - I think DDNS is involved...? our office network is very simple: modem to switch to NAS...
  4. Slow mapped drive connection over VPN

Slow mapped drive connection over VPN: Hello, We having some issues with remote users accessing our shared drive over a VPN. Everything was fine up to about a week ago, when the connection slowed down dramatically. The VPN latency and bandwidth seem fine 100 ms and 600 MB/s, and also I tested the client against...
  5. Issue connecting to a mapped drive over VPN...

Issue connecting to a mapped drive over VPN...: I'm working on an odd problem with drive mapping over our F5 VPN. Here are the particulars... 1. I can map the drive, but not access either of the folders on it via my prod VPN (tested on three laptops, using Win7 and Win10). It works fine over my Lab VPN, wireless and on...
  6. Trouble Mapping Network Drive

Trouble Mapping Network Drive: I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the computer I am...
  7. Trouble sharing drives over ethernet

Trouble sharing drives over ethernet: I am trying to share hard drives between my desktop and laptop, which are connected directly with an ethernet cable. I can see and access hard drives connected to my desktop from my laptop, but I can't view drives connected to my laptop on my desktop. I've followed all the...
  8. Mapping a network drive using certificate but not a VPN - possible?

Mapping a network drive using certificate but not a VPN - possible?: Hey, I currently connect to our office server by way of an installed certificate onto my PC and then using a VPN which is first established before I can map a shared drive and work with the files stores there. Is there a easier way of doing this ? ideally looking for a...
  9. VPN trouble

VPN trouble: Hello, I have got a real problem, my best VPN service will not start. I have tried the repair option in the program, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it with no luck. I do not know what to do, it is regarding EkspressVPN, I have 3 other VPN services(SurfEasy Ultra, PIA and...
  10. Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive

Trouble finding & mapping my nas drive: Hi there folks As the title says, I've been having trouble finding/mapping my network attached drive. I can ping it using cmd just fine but mapping it, using windows explorer, is not proving successful. cannot see it through network view either. Wondering if any of you...