Windows 10: Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10

Discus and support Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Everyone I will try to keep this brief, but it is a little complex... My company bought 300 Windows 10 licenses for products we were providing to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Juststeev, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Juststeev Win User

Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10

Hi Everyone

I will try to keep this brief, but it is a little complex...

My company bought 300 Windows 10 licenses for products we were providing to our client. We were able to activate all the licenses in our assembly line (in China), although we had to use the Microsoft internet-based activation service.

When our product was shipped to our client, they decided to update their operating system (additional programs etc) and chose to create a master image. They "installed" this image on all 300 units, and when they tried to reactivate the Windows license, they got nothing more than an error message (from the activation service). Trying the telephone activation service also bore no fruit, so we ended up having to replace the licenses.

We sent the originals back to our supplier, who has said that there is nothing wrong with them. Also, of the 300, not all failed (although it was a very high failure rate).

As far as I was aware, as long as no hardware changes were made to the PC, the license should be able to be reactivated on the individual PC even if the operating system has been reinstalled.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening, and if there is any way to solve this problem?

I know the licenses are not "Volume Licenses", so the count should not be a problem either.

I am happy to answer questions, and would like to hear your feedback.

TIA

:)

Juststeev, Jun 14, 2018
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Jun 14, 2018
  3. Reinstall Windows 10

Once Windows 10 Upgrade activated it assigned a permanent Digital License to the PC to reinstall as often as you want, change any hardware you like up to the motherboard - which requires some special steps spelled out in

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Follow the steps in
    Clean Install Windows 10
    to reinstall Windows 10 to your new SSD. It will reactivate shortly after connecting to the internet. If not open the Contact Support app in Start Menu and ask for help.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 14, 2018
  4. kg4icg Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Jun 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble reactivating licenses after reinstallation of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Trouble reactivating licenses

2. Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall: On June 4th, I Purchased a digital license from Microsoft Store for Windows 11 Pro.On Tuesday, my disk failed but I didn't know what was the issue until I reinstalled.Today, I got a new disk but had to reinstall Windows yet again.My license won't activate, says there is no...
  3. Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 License reactivation after reinstall: On June 4th, I Purchased a digital license from Microsoft Store for Windows 11 Pro.On Tuesday, my disk failed but I didn't know what was the issue until I reinstalled.Today, I got a new disk but had to reinstall Windows yet again.My license won't activate, says there is no...
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after reinstalling

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after reinstalling: I was having some problems with my pc so I did a fresh start of it so reinstalling it and after I did that It said I needed to activate windows. Whenever I enter the product key, It give me the error code 0xc0000022, and on the activation tab in settings it gives me the...
  5. Troubles reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubles reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change: I made hardware changes to my computer recently and now I am unable to reactivate Windows. When trying to use my digital license linked to my account I came upon something saying Windows couldn't be activated. I had run the troubleshooter in the activation settings and...
  6. how to reactivate windows 10 after reinstall

how to reactivate windows 10 after reinstall: Hello, I recently ran into a problem with my PC, which made me unable to access it entirely. It forced my to have to Factory Reset my PC. After the reset, I had to reinstall windows using a USB I had laying around. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro as I was pretty sure this is what...
  7. Windows 10 reactivation troubles

Windows 10 reactivation troubles: I recently changed out my old HDD to a newer SSD and wanted to move over my Window 10 to that. I created a USB boot drive and successfully moved it over, but now through the troubleshooter it simply states that there was an error activating the license and to try again later....
  8. Trouble Reactivating Windows 10 after Hardware Change

Trouble Reactivating Windows 10 after Hardware Change: I recently had something happen to my computer and ended up having to install a new motherboard. After the installation of the new motherboard, I went to reactivate my Windows 10 Pro. When I went to settings>activation>troubleshoot I clicked on "I changed hardware on this...
  9. reactivating windows after reinstallation

reactivating windows after reinstallation: I cannot activate windows with the same product key I previously activate it after reinstallation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reactivating-windows-after-reinstallation/c3776701-9a4a-4fe2-9628-84c4d5594d47"
  10. Trouble reactivating Windows 10 after changing motherboard.

Trouble reactivating Windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Changed my motherboard, processor, and memory yesterday. Forgot that my OS was going to be affected. I followed the directions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change After running the troubleshooter and...