Windows 10: Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Discus and support Trouble setting up homegroup on local network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flycaster, Oct 1, 2017.

1. flycaster Win User

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got its password. I then opened the P and got to where I clicked "join homegroup." At this point I was prompted and confused when prompted to put in a password for the P and not the DT??? I do have homegroup PWs for both computers. Could it be that I had also tried to set up a homegroup with the P...and thus it also had a homegroup PW??? I think it may be best to get out of the P's homegroup setup and start over again. If a good idea, I don't know how to get out of P's homegroup setup.

:)

flycaster, Oct 1, 2017
  2. roninrr2 Win User

Having trouble with setting up Local User IDs on my NEW Windows 10 machine

HELP, I AM IN REAL TROUBLE.

My old computer of several years died 3 days ago (total SSD hard drive failure) - I lost everything -- EXCEPT I "supposedly" have everything backed up on Carbonite, so we will see how that works out. Didn't have my stuff on OneDrive - wish I had, but that
    is another long story.

Anyway, I have several problems (printers, workgroup, reload apps, etc.), but will start with the most pressing problem right now. The first download of my data from Carbonite failed (downloaded in form of a Zipfile, which Windows 10 won't/can't open, says
    invalid), but after talking to a Carbonite guy, he initiate some kind of direct download into my new machine and to be honest, it looks like it went pretty well. Some of the data that I spot checked seemed to be OK.

My first App reinstall was Quicken. Went OK, and the data file is there and correct as far as I can tell (pretty sure about that). The next App install was of TurboTax - and then begins the problem. TurboTax could not find the 2017 TurboTax files. But
    the are there, I found them, under some strange Windows ID in C:>Users>rnsmi - something that Windows created while insisting that I log in with my MS Account ID.

Sorry about the long history above, but my question revolves around setting up the local user IDs on my system. I spent well over an hour trying to create two local user ID, one with admin privileges and the other as just a standard user -- and I am still
    not sure I have it right, because my MS Accounts seem to also be used ID on my system.

Let me tell you what I think I should do and see if you can help me. I am thinking of using the same user ID names that were used on my old system, which will never see the light of day again since it is dead.

My old user IDs under Users (I only had 2) were bob and bobsu (not using my real names, but can still make my point)

The user IDs under Users on my new system (there is 3, not counting Default and Public) of rnsmi, rnsmi_mru9wy0, and bobsu.

(NOTABLE: in the Control Panel, User Accounts, I see standard user IDs of bobjonesloc, bobsu, and *** Email address is removed for privacy *** as the Admin ID)

What the deal here - only the bobsu ID shows up under the C:>Users>folder.

I am currently logged in as bobjonesloc, which I suppose is why TurboTax could mot find my 2017 TurboTax files, they are in the C:>Users>rnsmi>documents folder. [I didn't mention this earlier, but since Carbonite had all my data files, like documents,
    saved under the old used ID of bob, and there was not a user ID of bob in my new system, all of my old data was restored under the rnsmi user ID.]

So can I just go to the C:>Users and just rename things to the way I want - it isn't that simple is it. Can I also make one of the standard users the admin user and then just delete the MS Account ID (currently the admin account). Why do I want or need
    anything in my system (it is just me) other than 2 user ID, a standard user and an admin user. I never log into Windows as the admin user, and only use it when necessary to do the admin stuff that Windows requires. So can someone help me out here. Is this
    a difficult thing to fix and is there a reason I can't just go back to a simple 2 user accounts on my new Windows 10 system

ron in round rock

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

roninrr2, Oct 1, 2017
  3. Rhina Vib Win User
    Having trouble with setting up Local User IDs on my NEW Windows 10 machine

Hi Ron,

You can use a local account on your Windows 10 computer but you will not be able to rename the folders located in C:>Users.

For steps on how to switch your Windows 10 Microsoft account to a local account, you can refer to the article on this

link

If you have other questions, let us know.

Regards.

Rhina Vib, Oct 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

I find Homegroups more trouble than they are worth. I just set up conventional network shares on each pc, which means you can connect androids etc as well.

I set up each pc on my network as follows in three screenshots. I actually turn off passwords as I am only person on the newtwork.

Obviously, use passwords if you want to restrict others accessing your drives.

You then simply set up appropriate drives and folders as shared.

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network? [​IMG]

cereberus, Oct 1, 2017
  5. flycaster Win User
    If I set up network sharing, just what do I get? Here's what I think: Each computer so set up will be able to view what's on the other computer, but won't be able to transfer date from one to the other??? Also, with homegroup setup, is data is transferable between computers???

EDIT: Somehow I think I just made a network hookup between the computers. Will it be possible for P to access the browser in the DT? I think not.

flycaster, Oct 1, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Network share are just external drives on another computer instead of say a usb drive. You can certainly transfer data, open files directly on shared drive e.g. word documents.

Many companies use File Servers which are basically a computer which you have network shares to (the File Server may use Windows, Linux or even bespoke OSs).

As a rule, you cannot run programs on other device unless the program is a portable version (e.g. one that can run off a flash drive without actually being installed on a particular device). There are portable versions of browsers that you might be able to access for example.

Homegroups are no different from network shares except they are supposed to be easier to setup, and are restricted to Windows.

Networks shares can be accessed by any OS that conforms to SMB protocols (as android does). I have shared folders on my pc that I can copy/stream files to/from android over wifi.

#

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network? - Similar Threads - Trouble setting homegroup

2. Problem Setting Up Local Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Setting Up Local Network: I have four computers that have previously been connected on a LAN. For various reasons updating one of them to Win 10 among other reasons perhaps none of them can connect to each other any more and very few of them can even see each other. I believe I have all the choices in...
  3. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  4. Windows 10 - Local network without homegroup.

Windows 10 - Local network without homegroup.: I have this problem which I believe should preoccupy other Win 10 users too. Local network with 4 PCs all under win 10 Home version after 1803. Giving permissions to "Everyone" on any of the four allows all other three PCs to share and handle the shared folders. However,...
  5. Missing Set Up Homegroup button!

Missing Set Up Homegroup button!: I want to connect my desktop and my laptop. I went to Network settings/status and I'm supposed to see a Homegroup button to set it up but I don't have one. How can I do it?...
  6. HomeGroup Set Up

HomeGroup Set Up: Good Morning. I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win 7. I set up desktop A successfully. I received the homegroup password. I went to desktop B and when I entered the homegroup...
  7. setting up homegroup in windows 10

setting up homegroup in windows 10: I recently upgraded windows 8.1 with Bing, which had a homegroup, to windows 10. After the upgrade I was unable to set up a homegroup. Message, "this computer is unable to set up a homegroup" *Sad 29747
  8. Homegroup set up requires IPV6

Homegroup set up requires IPV6: Trying to get my W7 machine in the workgroup with W8.1 and W10. On the W7 side I get an error saying I need IPV6? How to get that turned on? My router has it enabled but when looking at my adapter, the IPV6 portion is blank. It is set to auto, my isp is not doing IPV6 yet. Tx...
  9. Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10

Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10: I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running Windows 10 (wirelessly, except for one desktop on ethernet). I'm trying to set up a new homegroup with these machines, but when I do, I'm asked for a HG password that is not working (I set up a HG when some were on Windows 7 long...
  10. Trouble with HomeGroup

Trouble with HomeGroup: I have tried every single fix I read online i have been able to successfully take every computer but my laptop off the "phantom" homegroup it still says its on it but i can't leave it it can't connect to it ... I have uploaded screen shots to show whats going on....