Windows 10: Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD

Discus and support Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I’m switching a Win10 SSD from my Dell E6320 to a E6330 as the old one does not work properly anymore. The new one says No bootable devices, but shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arjunadd, Sep 17, 2017.

1. arjunadd Win User

Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD

I’m switching a Win10 SSD from my Dell E6320 to a E6330 as the old one does not work properly anymore. The new one says No bootable devices, but shows the SSD just fine in the bios.
    I found advice to change the SATA mode to AHCI (from RAID), did it, but the error persists.
    Don't really know what else I can try to get the SSD to boot in this new (refurb) machine. It came with an HDD that booted Win10 just fine, but won't do it from the SSD.
    Thanks for any pointers.

:)

arjunadd, Sep 17, 2017

2. All New Hardware besides Hard Drive. W10 Activate Issue

you can't transplant the HDD / SSD of any version of windows with activation to a new motherboard

transplanting hasn't worked since win 9x

all NT versions beginning with XP cannot be transplanted you lose the activation

the only correct way to transfer is with a fresh install of Retail FPP or upgrade FPP media

all other installations are locked to the first motherboard they're installed on

edit:

you will need to purchase another copy to install on the new Motherboard

Locutus deBorg, Sep 17, 2017
  3. childhood dream!

Whilst being fanless with good battery life is fine need to transplant a SSD and restricted to 1GB means that it's not all great news!

scoobyman---01, Sep 17, 2017
  4. Dane Win User

If the SSD has installed Windows system (contained boot info), when you press power key to start, press F12 to launch quick start menu, then select the SSD drive.

5. arjunadd Win User
    That was so easy, I'm embarrassed. But it looks like now I need to use F12 every time to boot up. Is there a way to establish the new SSD permanently as the boot device? Thanks so much!

arjunadd, Sep 18, 2017
  6. You will need to set the boot priority in the BIOS. Even if you have UEFI it still needs to know what drive to boot from by default.

That said, there must be another drive in your system that the BIOS is thinking is bootable, or it would automatically boot from your new SSD. Find out what that drive is and also change your boot priority (making sure you know which SSD is which if you have them both plugged in).

SergeantSteve, Sep 18, 2017
  7. arjunadd Win User
    Ok, thanks so much for your help. Have a great day!

arjunadd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble transplanting WIN10 SSD - Similar Threads - Trouble transplanting WIN10

2. trouble ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    trouble ssd: Hello i have trouble with my SSDmy SSD after formating cannot read in device manager and in cmd, there is no volume with that disk and no information about that SSD, but in device manager storage there is the information about SSD is plug, but there is no volume, how can i do...
  3. Password trouble logging in to WIN10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password trouble logging in to WIN10: I have Windows 10. Suddenly, overnight 3 days ago my WIN10 Login Password does not work. I have tried many online hints, but none of them work. May I have help please?...
  4. Password trouble logging in to WIN10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Password trouble logging in to WIN10: I have Windows 10. Suddenly, overnight 3 days ago my WIN10 Login Password does not work. I have tried many online hints, but none of them work. May I have help please?...
  5. win10 20h2 troubles

in Windows 10 Customization
    win10 20h2 troubles: I'm really beginning to think I've allowed myself to be majorly scammed in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Sorry for the long story but details are important. "Microsoft" informs me that my version of win10 will no longer be supported because i havent been able to receive updates. So...
  6. Ssd upgrade troubles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ssd upgrade troubles: My laptop has a 128 GB SSD en 1 TB hdd, I bought a 512 GB SSD to replace the smaller boot drive. So to transfer the OS I made an image backup on an hdd I had laying around, plugged in the new ssd en booted with the HDD with backup connected, then I told windows to recover my...
  7. BIOS trouble with SSD

BIOS trouble with SSD: I am in a real struggle with my new SSD (Force MP510). No matter I what I try, it refuses to boot with OS on it. Every time I power up, it just sends me back into BIOS with exactly 0 changes. I've tried booting from USB and downloaded OS on the SSD, but it still doesn't...
  8. Trouble migrating OS to an SSD

Trouble migrating OS to an SSD: So, last week I got myself an SSD to use in my desktop PC. And when I try to migrate the whole OS with all my files and installed applications using Macrium. I get an error when I try to boot from the SSD, after all the copying process. And whatever I try doesn't help. Does...
  9. Having Trouble Repairing Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Having Trouble Repairing Win10: My File Explorer appears to have a broken link. When I click on a certain directory, a message says "Working On It". After about a minute or two, though, the message disappears and nothing appears. Yet, there are only about 6 small files, in the directory, and other...
  10. Win10 Multi-Monitor Troubles

Win10 Multi-Monitor Troubles: ISSUE 1: I have 3 screens -- What I would like is if I shut off two screens and have one on that all the icons, taskbar, remain in place and not move to the only screen that is on. This will allow me to power down two monitors when I am watching movies and save some power....