Windows 10: Trouble with bridged network connection.

Discus and support Trouble with bridged network connection. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a Windows 10 pc here connected via a wired connection and sometimes my friend comes over and we play games, also on a windows 10 pc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by silverz, Aug 12, 2016.

1. silverz Win User

Trouble with bridged network connection.

I've got a Windows 10 pc here connected via a wired connection and sometimes my friend comes over and we play games, also on a windows 10 pc.
    Normally to give him internet access I put a network cable between my pc and his through my second ethernet port (the motherboard has 2 built it, one realtek and one intel) and then I bridge the 2 connections on my PC and for years this has worked just fine across windows 7 and 10 - we both had internet that worked perfectly.
    Then the other month I updated windows as normal and after a reboot only my pc had internet but the other one did not and this has remained the case ever since.

I have tried various things on both machines such as reinstalling network drivers, rolling back to older drivers, resetting the connection, allowing windows to diagnose the connection and so on.
    The problem can also vary, sometimes one or both pc's stick at the 'identifying' phase, other times there is a message about problems with the ip address (exact message I cant remember).
    I also have a simple script that flushes dns, resets the ip etc and have run this on both machines. But when doing this a strange thing happens, if I run the script on the second pc then it regains internet access almost immediately - however the internet no longer works on my pc, the one which has the direct connection from the router. To fix this I simply have to disable the bridge, but then of course the second pc has no connection again.

I'm all out if ideas here, I've even set the ip manually on both machines and again this causes internet to function on the second pc, but not on mine, and sometimes the other way around.

Anybody know whats the problem?

:)

silverz, Aug 12, 2016
  2. Loogsta Win User

Remove network Bridge in windows 10 safely

i have searched the net to no avail on how to remove a network bridge in windows 10.

from my understanding, you are able to remove the network bridge by right clicking on the network bridge in network connections and choosing "remove network bridge" however in windows 10 this option doesn't exist.

on the network card (which is part of the bridge) in its properties page has written "This adapter is part of a Network Bridge. To remove this adapter from the Network Bridge, or to modify bridge settings, right-click the Network Bridge, and then click properties."

of course this does bring up the properties window but no further info on how to actually remove it.

others have mentioned to remove the "MAC bridge adapter" (which i dont have, mine says multiplexor on the bridge driver) from device manager however they have found other issues doing so if the network was in use at the time.

so before i go breaking things, is there a correct way to remove the network bridge in windows 10 pro?

Loogsta, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Network bridge suddenly stopped working in windows 10

Hi Shantanu,

To isolate your concern, we would like to know how your network bridge is connected? Is it a wireless connection or a wired connection?

In the meantime, we suggest that you set up your network bridge to refresh the adapter and reconnect the other devices. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Add Incoming Connections from the Internet.
    • Bridge the two network connections that you want to use.
    • Forget the internal network connection (under
      Manage Known Networks).
    • Reconnect to your bridge network.
    • Restart your computer and check if your concern persists.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Not really sorry, but it sounds like you may have a IP Address Conflict for some reason.

It would be easier just to use a simple switch (or Router as switch) and set up a standard LAN rather than do the direct link and bridge thing.

Kbird, Aug 13, 2016
  5. silverz Win User
    That would unfortunately require a lot of additional wiring which is not feasible, does anybody have any information on how to set the ip addresses manually for a bridged connection?

Like I said, it's worked perfectly this way for years until recently so there must be a solution.

silverz, Aug 13, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Why all the extra wiring ? you'd need to explain more .....

wall > Switch/Router >Laptop1
    >Laptop2
    >Laptop3
    >Laptop4 etc each laptop just needs to be in the same Workgroup and on the same Subnet number

Kbird, Aug 13, 2016
  7. silverz Win User
    Because it goes like this in my house...
    Wall> router>Cable built into the wall passing through several rooms> my room> cable laid under the carpet> my pc.
    I would need to drill holes in the wall, pull up the carpet, buy more cable etc and all for a friend that visits once a month.
    And the fact that if I format both pc's i'd expect it to all go back to working properly like it always used to, but all that just seems like an over the top reaction to what is probably a basic networking problem/ip conflict.

silverz, Aug 13, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Something may have changed in Win 10 recently due to Security Issues , so I am not sure even a Clean install would fix it

A simple 4 port switch where the cable comes out of the carpet in your room and (2) 6ft Cat5e/Cat6 Cables should get you around this though. You could also use a Wireless Router instead of the Switch and both use Wifi or the Eth. ports on the Wifi Router too.

Kbird, Aug 13, 2016
  9. Samuria Win User
    To work this out we need from a CMD prompt the results of ipconfig /all from both pcs

Samuria, Aug 13, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    That doesn't make any sense why you would require any additional wiring (other than an extra Ethernet cable). You just use a cheap $10 hub and plug the cable from your friends machine into the hub (instead of your computer) and then run another cable from the hub into your computer.

Mystere, Aug 14, 2016
  11. Trouble with bridged network connection. [​IMG]

colphoenix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble with bridged network connection. - Similar Threads - Trouble bridged network

2. Network bridge “no internet connection”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network bridge “no internet connection”: Hello,I have 2 ethernet cables connected on my computer using 2 diferent systems to get ethernet from same provider, one is using one wifi repeater them connecting with cable to my computermy computer does not have wifi and the other one is using powerline, the wifi repeater...
  3. Network bridge “no internet connection”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network bridge “no internet connection”: Hello,I have 2 ethernet cables connected on my computer using 2 diferent systems to get ethernet from same provider, one is using one wifi repeater them connecting with cable to my computermy computer does not have wifi and the other one is using powerline, the wifi repeater...
  4. Network bridge “no internet connection”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wireless networking and "bridge" connections

Wireless networking and "bridge" connections: I have an HP 22" touchscreen desktop running Windows 10 Pro. By the way, the way I upgraded this which used to be a "Win10 Home" machine, was my friend brought an old computer just the midsize tower not the monitor or anything. But the tower had a product key printed right...
  6. Bridging network connections

Bridging network connections: Hello, I am trying to bridged my mobile internet connection which is connected to laptop via usb to my router which is connected to my laptop via ethernet. The connection works fine as I am able to connect to my router and have internet access! The issue is after running in...
  7. NETWORK BRIDGED MODE

NETWORK BRIDGED MODE: MY MODEM HAS NO IPV6 ADDRESS DUE TO BRIDGED MODE. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I RESET IT? WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION TO FIX IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-bridged-mode/7cb9e208-c131-403f-baaa-0d0fc29d125a
  8. network bridge connection

network bridge connection: I set network bridge connection with my friend to share internet. It worked without any problems till yesterday when I came home I saw a triangle with a explanation mark on it with words "network unidentified". What could happen? I can work on the computer but without the...
  9. VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's

VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's: Hi there. one W10 VM is connected to LAN via NAT, other 4 via Bridged -- to SAME LAN. the NAT networked computer can see the others but can't access shared files. Changing to Bridged -- works OK. Was trying NAT as Bridged uses individual number of IP addresses -...
  10. Unstable/ Unpredictable Internet Connection On Network Bridge

Unstable/ Unpredictable Internet Connection On Network Bridge: Hi I have a server that I has a shared drive I would like to access on my PC. I have my server and my PC connected to the same router by Ethernet, but this router does not have internet access. My PC is also connected to a router with internet access via a WiFi adapter. In...