Windows 10: Trouble with screen timeout.

Discus and support Trouble with screen timeout. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 and I changed all of my When Computer Sleeps settings and my screen still goes black after about 30 seconds of inactivity. Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by powuh, Aug 12, 2015.

1. powuh Win User

Trouble with screen timeout.

I'm using Windows 10 and I changed all of my When Computer Sleeps settings and my screen still goes black after about 30 seconds of inactivity. Not really sure why this happens because I changed all of the settings for the screen shutting off to never. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

powuh, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows Phone Lock Screen

Hello,

In the Windows Phone settings, you can change the lock screen to timeout in the range of 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Is it possible to change the lock screen to timeout for longer than that or to never timeout? Thanks.

vaxvms7860, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Windows screen timeout at a certain time (5min approx) screen goes blank.

after upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10,windows screen timeout at a certain time (5min approx) screen goes blank.

despite of making all timeout options "screen timeout" to ''NEVER" from power option of my notebook this problem happening repeatedly.

i am using hp p029tx model laptop. please help

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Original Title: screen timeout problem

ChirantanChakraborty, Aug 12, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Just a thought. Maybe the monitor isn't going to sleep. It could be that your screensaver is set to 'Blank' after 1min. If so, you would need to set it to 'None'

And welcome to the forum *Biggrin

WhyMe, Aug 12, 2015
  5. powuh Win User
    That seems to have been the issue. Thank you for the help and thanks, I'm glad to be a part of it!

powuh, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Screensaver was indeed set to Blank, with timer at 1 minute.
    Now the question is, why? I didn't do that, so the computer did it by itself. How did that setting get changed, if not by me? It's a harmless prank that may actually save a few ergs, but I don't like strangers mucking with my settings. Plus, if a stranger did that, then what part of my computer can they not hack?

jimbo92107, Sep 23, 2015
  7. After posting here I continued to search for answers and found another post on this forum. Using some of what was posted there I was able to find the answer; here is the response I posted there:

Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Setting the screensaver to "none" did not help for me. My power options are 15 minutes to turn off the screen and 20 minutes to put the computer to sleep, by after three minutes my monitors (laptop and external) go black. I am not sure if the computer is trying to go to sleep or what, but I can't get everything back unless I hit a key or click the mouse; simply moving the mouse doesn't work. And when it comes back I'm at the logon screen, even though my screensaver option for "on resume ..." is not checked.

I am using Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 8.1, which itself was upgraded from Windows 8. With both 8 and 8.1 my screen would never lock, although the monitor would turn off after the specified number of minutes.

barriesargent, Oct 2, 2015
  8. davehu Win User

for anyone reading this... I had the same problem only blanking after 1 minute. I went to the screen saver settings and even though it was set to NONE, I changed it to an actual screen saver, saved, then changed it back to none. the problem went away.

davehu, Jan 6, 2016
  9. BOOBAINAZ Win User
    Ah, saved my sanity. Thank you

BOOBAINAZ, Feb 29, 2016
  10. Da Google Win User
    Thank you!!!!!! This has bothering me for over a year now!
    Finally!
    Take that, stupid microsoft!!!

Da Google, Oct 6, 2016
  11. I am having the same trb

isportzmom, Dec 14, 2016
  12. Thank you soooo much I have tried everything else, BUT this and it worked.. !!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo

isportzmom, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble with screen timeout. - Similar Threads - Trouble screen timeout

2. Screen timeout and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen timeout and password: I need my computer to lock out when the display turns off screen timeout or goes into screen saver. I can get the display to turn off and I can also get the screen saver to turn on; however when I resume there is no screen that ask for a password/pin. When the computer turns...
  3. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  4. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  5. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Screen timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen timeout: my screen times out in 1 minute? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/09d0bb22-1a16-4f0b-b02d-0960081325c9
  7. screen timeout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    screen timeout: My screen timeout happens too fast- and then requires my windows password to reopen. how do I change this so no password is required https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/8121f633-242a-4b58-a4bc-d0a9987014da
  8. screen timeout/sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen timeout/sleep: my Acer is scheduled to go to sleep after 3 hours of away time (when plugged in) but goes to sleep after only a couple minutes. It is driving me crazy! does anyone know what setting I may need to adjust?...
  9. Screen Timeout

Screen Timeout: Just got new computer for work with Windows 10 Pro I believe. No matter how many articles and advice posts I read and try, my screen locks out in 2 minutes and you have to log back in. Someone please help, this makes me want to choke someone out all day...
  10. Lock Screen Timeout

Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...