Windows 10: Trouble with upgrade from Windows 7

Discus and support Trouble with upgrade from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i finally decided to upgrade my Win7 laptop. the upgrade assistant verified all apps as compatible and enough hard drive space was available. all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sleepless, Jun 11, 2016.

1. sleepless Win User

Trouble with upgrade from Windows 7

So i finally decided to upgrade my Win7 laptop. the upgrade assistant verified all apps as compatible and enough hard drive space was available. all the update files were downloaded, but installation always got stuck at 99% (possibly a driver issue?). anyway, i decided to DL the .iso from MS. i created a bootable USB stick, using Rufus. since i only wanted to upgrade for now (rather than a fresh install), i decided to try running the setup.exe from within windows, and to my surprise everything worked. however i didn't notice any "upgrade" option. so, it seems that windows 10 was installed, but none of my applications or settings were kept. it's basically a fresh install, with all my old files in a windows.old folder. shouldn't all my settings and apps have been carried over with an upgrade? how can I upgrade to windows 10, without losing everything? i have no idea what steps I should take next, so any help someone can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks

EDIT: After again looking at the upgrade tutorial, it seems I did not notice any options/screens to keep settings, apps, or personal files. i don't know why not because I was paying careful attention to all the steps. anyway, I still have no idea where to go from here.

:)

sleepless, Jun 11, 2016

2. After Upgrade to Windows 10: Administrator Permission

I upgraded from Windows 7 and had this issue. Husband upgraded from Windows 8 and had no troubles at all.

JoanSauler, Jun 11, 2016
  3. failured to do updates from windows 10,i upgrade from 7 to 10 after that ihad the problem

at the beginning I hadvista ,but upgrade from vis ta to 7 .after that I upgrade from 7 to 10 and and all my troubles stars on

royland &sahilyncamejo, Jun 11, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi sleepless and welcome to Tenforums.

Driver problems usually occur at the first part of the upgrade; creating the "go back" usually fails near the end.

If you ran setup.exe from within W7, the upgrade should have defaulted to keeping your apps, settings and data.

If you appear to have a clean install, with all your old data in the Windows.old folder, and you didn't make an image of your hard drive before performing the install, there may not be any way to go back to where you were. You could have a look in Settings>Update & security>Recovery and see if you have an option to go back to W7 there. You're supposed to have 30 days to make up your mind if you want to keep W10 or not, and an option to rollback. But, I'm just thinking that the failure you were seeing with the original upgrade attempt was the "go back".

simrick, Jun 11, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    You may wish to revert to Windows 7 and upgrade that.

Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows - Windows 10 Forums

I don't know how you got a clean install rather than an upgrade.

You may have to re-install some applications after an upgrade to get them to work properly, but probably not.

In future, I recommend that you image the existing Windows installation before doing anything as drastic as an OS upgrade. That makes it easy to go back if there's a problem. I use Acronis True Image (commercial), but Macrium Reflect Free seems to be very popular for the purpose.

(Saving an image is highly recommended in any case. Makes it easy to recover form malware, hardware failures, etc.)

bobkn, Jun 12, 2016
  6. sleepless Win User
    thanks for yout replies,

there are no "go back" options in the recovery settings. i'm guessing that would only be available with an upgrade.

when i tried upgrading using the media creation tool, i got all the way to step 18 (final step), then stuck at 99%. it was stuck for over 8 hours so i assumed something was wrong. same thing happened when trying to update from within windows. after reading the tutorial, it says to disable antivirus software, which i did not. could that be the problem? again, the MS assistant said all my apps and drivers were compatible.

yes, i did create a backup image before attempting this upgrade. so i guess i'll have to re-install using that image, and then try again to upgrade. i'm concerned though because i ran the setup.exe from the .iso, as described in the upgrade tutorial, from within windows. it says to "extract" the .iso using an unzipper, and then run the file, so i guess i did not do that exactly. like i said, although i created the bootable usb stick, i didn't boot the drive to run the installation. would that be a problem, that i ran the setup.exe from within the bootable usb stick instead of from an extracted folder?

sleepless, Jun 12, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Good that you have an image - yes, I would restore from that. Then, use 7-zip to extract the ISO to your desktop, and run setup.exe from your desktop, just like in the video. Please be sure to do the prep work, and uninstall your anti-virus.

simrick, Jun 12, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

That's mysterious.

Normally, if you run the installer from within Windows, you get an upgrade. (It doesn't matter where the installer is located. If you started from Windows 8, you could even mount the .iso as a virtual drive, and run the installer from that.)

To get a clean install, you'd normally have to boot from the USB device. Further, if you booted from the USB device and asked for an upgrade rather than a clean install, you would be directed to reboot and run the upgrade from within Windows.

bobkn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble with upgrade from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Trouble upgrade

2. Trouble Upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble Upgrading to Windows 11: Hello, I am here because I am desperate. I wanted to upgrade to windows 11 long ago and I figured that around now would be a good time to switch. I go to update windows 11 and it tells me that my PC doesn't meet the current requirements to switch to windows 11. I found that...
  3. Trouble Upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble Upgrading to Windows 11: Hello, I am here because I am desperate. I wanted to upgrade to windows 11 long ago and I figured that around now would be a good time to switch. I go to update windows 11 and it tells me that my PC doesn't meet the current requirements to switch to windows 11. I found that...
  4. Trouble upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading to windows 11: I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11.Earlier today PC health check told me that it wasn't eligible because I didn't have the TPM 2.0 security setting. I have an MSI board, and enabled the bios setting there. I rebooted the machine and ran health check again. PC health Check...
  5. Trouble upgrading to windows 11

Trouble upgrading to windows 11: I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11.Earlier today PC health check told me that it wasn't eligible because I didn't have the TPM 2.0 security setting. I have an MSI board, and enabled the bios setting there. I rebooted the machine and ran health check again. PC health Check...
  6. Trouble upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  8. Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD

Trouble upgrading nvme m.2 SSD: HiI have a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ALC6 AMD Ryzen5 5500Uwith a 256gb nvme m.2 SSD running windows 11 home.I am wanting to swap the 256gb Toshiba SSD for a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus.After initialising the drive in windows disk management I have tried using Samsungs migration tool to...
  9. Trouble upgrading to windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble upgrading to windows 10.: Media creation tool gives error code and the windows updating assistant is not compatible either. Any suggestions please?media creation error code0x80072f8f - 0x20000...
  10. Trouble upgrading to windows 10.

Trouble upgrading to windows 10.: Media creation tool gives error code and the windows updating assistant is not compatible either. Any suggestions please?media creation error code0x80072f8f - 0x20000...