Windows 10: Trouble with VMware

Discus and support Trouble with VMware in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have the latest build of 10 installed in the free version of VMware and everything seemed to be working OK. When I've finished usually I'll either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Joan Archer, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Trouble with VMware

I have the latest build of 10 installed in the free version of VMware and everything seemed to be working OK. When I've finished usually I'll either power off or suspend the VM, never had problems.

The last time I powered off was a couple of days ago and there were a few problems getting out of it but did eventually.

I've not brought the VM up for a couple of days but tried just now and it wont launch 10, after highlighting the Windows 10 install and clicking the Play virtual machine nothing happens but an error box in the middle of the screen saying there is an internal error, although it doesn't actually say what the error is.

Anyone got any idea of what I can do, is it fixable or should I reinstall 10 again to VMware ?

:)

Joan Archer, Nov 19, 2014

2. Free VMPlayer compatibility with Windows 10 as the host OS

I did the Windows 10 update not knowing about any potential issues regarding VMware Player version 6. At first it seemed to work ok but I could no longer connect from my XP virtual machine to my SQL Server running on the Windows 10 host. After reading
    this and other similar messages I found VMware Player version 7 that is still free for non-commercial use and have so far had no trouble with any network connections or SQL Server connections between Windows 10 host and XP virtual machine. (Link to VMware
    Player 7:
    https://download3.vmware.com/software/player/file/VMware-player-7.1.2-2780323.exe
    )

GavinGlaum, Nov 19, 2014
  3. slvr32 Win User
    Ovi Suite on Windows running under VMWare Fusion on a Mac?

I was having trouble with this under VMware Fusion 3.0.2, and tried a couple versions of Ovi Suite, but for the moment I have this working with Ovi Suite 3.1.0.91 on VMware Fusion 3.1.3 (check the release notes, and they even mention smartphone USB fixes,
    with the N8 specificially being noted).

Before I updated to VMware Fusion 3.1.3, my E7 seemed to just be confusing the device manager on XP, and I never got any of the E7 sub-devices recognized beyong the USB Parent.

After I updated to VMware Fusion 3.1.3, the E7 sub-devices detection continued, and it picked up the MTP stuff, CDC modem, serial port, etc.., etc... and the E7 is now recognized without any extra effort after I start up Ovi Suite.

I had also tried a couple more recent version of Ovi Suite under VMware Fusion 3.0.2, but I'll go ahead and try to upgrade Ovi Suite to the latest version, and report if it still works. I have a backup of the XP image with the older Ovi Suite version, so
    I can just revert if the Ovi Suite upgrade breaks the current setup.

Hope that helps.

slvr32, Nov 19, 2014
  4. strollin Win User

Trouble with VMware

The problem with using a VM is that the VM's hard drive (VHD) and all it's files are contained in 1 large (or several smaller) files so if one of those files gets corrupted, you lose the entire VHD. You may very well need to recreate your Win 10 VM. If you do regular backups, you should be able to restore the VM.

One of the shortcomings of VMWare Player is that it does not allow taking of snapshots. The paid versions of VMWare do provide for snapshots as does VirtualBox. You can, however, backup your VMWare Player VMs to another drive so you can restore them which is a little less convenient but still works.

strollin, Nov 19, 2014
  5. I'm starting to believe it's better to run it normally on it's own drive,
    Unfortunately I don't have another drive bay to swap out so I might have to go hillbilly and mount two ssd's on the out side of the case and manually connect to the other after shutting down Attachment 8600

ThrashZone, Nov 20, 2014
  6. topgundcp Win User
    I agree. To make it easier, I use one of these for ez hot swap:

Trouble with VMware [​IMG]

If you're interested. Here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

topgundcp, Nov 20, 2014
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Joan, Try a new "Open a virtual machine". Maybe that works.

For alternatives - if you don't have a spare disk for it, run it from a fast USB stick or an external SSD. Works real weel. Here is how.

8. Trouble with VMware

Thanks for the suggestions boys, I don't have an SSD drive and the only other external drives I have are my backup drives. The reason I run 10 in a VM is because I don't have the room to make a partition for it on my current drive because of the way the drive is mapped out, especially since the upgrade from 8 to 8.1.

I'll probably just start again with it and take it from there.

Thanks again for the suggestions strollin, thrash, topgun and Wolfgang, I do have a spare 32GB Cruzer Glide pen drive if I go that way.

Joan Archer, Nov 20, 2014
  9. Nice suggestion TopGun !
    I'll look at that for a Black Friday sell I'm about tapped out at the moment with some other goodies I've gotten this and last month

Joan ssd's are really going to drop even a 128ssd are pretty reasonable 70.us at the moment but I'm sure next week will be fun *Smile

ThrashZone, Nov 20, 2014
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    Problem is that in Europe the SSDs are still expensive. There is no Newegg and no Black Friday although I think Newegg just started in the UK. But I don't know how they operate there.

From the US Newegg I just bought a 240GB Crucial M500 for $89.. That was a good deal.

11. I agree prices are still higher than the US over this side the pond. *Smile

Posting from 10, I went back into VMware still got the same error even after trying to make a new VM. I went back to the VMware clicked on top drop down menu by the green arrow. I was going to look at properties but saw Run as Administrator and clicked that instead and everything loaded as it should do.

I'll mark this thread solved as for now it seems to be working. Thanks again for the suggestions boys. *Wink

Joan Archer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Trouble with VMware

1. Trouble with VMware - Similar Threads - Trouble VMware

2. having trouble with dxcore.dll error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    having trouble with dxcore.dll error: when i start windows, It opens up to "C:\Windows\system32\dxcore.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for...
  3. having trouble with dxcore.dll error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    having trouble with dxcore.dll error: when i start windows, It opens up to "C:\Windows\system32\dxcore.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vender for...
  4. having trouble with dxcore.dll error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. i have some troubles when I installing C++ in visual studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have some troubles when I installing C++ in visual studio: Hello!I hope to have your support for me. I help some troubles when I installed Cpp for Visual Studio code. I don't know how to fix it. Many thanks!!!...
  6. i have some troubles when I installing C++ in visual studio

i have some troubles when I installing C++ in visual studio: Hello!I hope to have your support for me. I help some troubles when I installed Cpp for Visual Studio code. I don't know how to fix it. Many thanks!!!...
  7. trouble with an exe file that is precluding me from installing Wireshark.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trouble with an exe file that is precluding me from installing Wireshark.: I am trying to install Wireshark on my Windows 10 pc, but I get an error BCMWLTRY.EXE which stops the downloading process. I can't even find that file and would it damage my OS if I erased it? Moreover, I read that if this particular file resides in my C drive, which it does,...
  8. trouble with an exe file that is precluding me from installing Wireshark.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trouble with an exe file that is precluding me from installing Wireshark.: I am trying to install Wireshark on my Windows 10 pc, but I get an error BCMWLTRY.EXE which stops the downloading process. I can't even find that file and would it damage my OS if I erased it? Moreover, I read that if this particular file resides in my C drive, which it does,...
  9. trouble with an exe file that is precluding me from installing Wireshark.

10. I'm having trouble with my Sound, video and game controllers drivers how to solve it?

I'm having trouble with my Sound, video and game controllers drivers how to solve it?: Hey everyone, it's Davis. I'm having some tech troubles and could really use some help. First off, my volume control is acting up. No matter what I do, it stays stuck at 100%, even when I try to lower it. And whenever I attempt to update, uninstall, or roll back, boom—blue...