Windows 10: Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Discus and support Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by saline, Oct 14, 2015.

1. saline Win User

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution?

:)

saline, Oct 14, 2015
  2. D.Gabriel Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, from W7 Home

Hello, I have a question regarding the upgrade process from W7 Home to W10 Pro.

I bought my laptop in September 2012 and it came with W7 Home. After getting the laptop I proceeded to preorder W8 Pro. Once it was released I upgraded to it and shortly after, I upgraded to W8.1. Now due to various issues I would like to perform a system
    restore from the OEM partition back to W7 Home. My question is how could I then upgrade to W10 Pro? Would I have to initially upgrade to W8 Pro and then to W10, in order to get the Pro version? Or is there some way to get directly from W7 Home to W10 Pro without
    having to go through W8, given the fact that I have purchased W8 Pro at some point?

D.Gabriel, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 32-bit

Is it possible to upgrade from W7-64 to W10-32?

Yes, it's not a mistake: I want to try W10-32 but my current OS is W7 Pro-64.

LEBOUBOU64, Oct 14, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Any other message along with this code ? How are you doing the upgrade, from downloaded files on PC, made a disc or USB Flash drive?

jds63, Oct 14, 2015
  5. saline Win User
    This is the only error. It goes for several hours before I get the message, but it comes back and says that it has restored the previous OS after trying to restart twice. That's really the only error message it gives.

I'm upgrading from Windows 10 and using the 64-bit download tool directly onto the PC. No media is made.

saline, Oct 14, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User

jds63, Oct 14, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Oct 14, 2015
  8. saline Win User

I upgraded another system without removing AVG that's why I tried this the same way. I went back in and removed it and tried again. same error. I'm attaching the error screen.

saline, Oct 14, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    I take it you are restored back to Windows 7 now. Try this, open an elevated command prompt ( click start, type cmd in the search box, right click on the cmd entry and select run as administrator) in the black box that opens, copy/paste sfc /scannow. If you decide to type it, notice the space between the sfc and the /. It is a system file checker which will scan your system files and attempt to correct any missing or corrupt files. What we want are the results to say windows found no integrity violations. If it says files were found but could not be repaired, close the box, reboot and run it again, after opening the administrative command prompt. You may have to reboot and run it three times for it to repair all system files. If it can't repair them after 3 reboots, let us know.

essenbe, Oct 14, 2015
  10. saline Win User
    looks like no integrity violations.

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade [​IMG]

saline, Oct 14, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Try this command at same Admin Command Prompt after SFC
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Some i found about this error what to try as said before try the Windows 10 ISO instead to do the upgrade.

0xC1900101-0x4000D - The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    Disable General USB Devices .
    Do a clean boot and try again.
    If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again.
    If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
    If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
    If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

jds63, Oct 14, 2015
  12. saline Win User
    I'm going to try the ISO route next, but I tried the SFC command you described, but I must have the syntax incorrect. I also tried with just one argument and got a similar response.

saline, Oct 15, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Just do first
    sfc /scannow

Then
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

copy and paste from here if it helps make sure goes in right.
    Not sure this is going to solve your issue with these commands, it's worth the try first before the upgrade again.
    Try how it is outlined and use the ISO, as i also linked ISO tutorial here in past post.

jds63, Oct 15, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    Don't put the sfc in the command. In the same admin command prompt run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Trouble Pro W10

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  6. W7 Pro VLC License Upgrade to W10

W7 Pro VLC License Upgrade to W10: I support a private school that has 50 desktops that all use a Microsoft W7 Pro VLC license purchased for 50 units. I can individually upgrade a machine to W10, but I want to duplicate what I did with W7 by creating an image and then restoring the image followed by entering...
  7. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...
  8. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  9. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...
  10. W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 Support
    W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error: I updated my drivers and bios on my Dell E6230, then tried the update. I get the following error. [img] Can I get some direction on what to look for? Thanks. 35454

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why wont w8 pro not ask for update to w10

2. w10 pro w7 pro upgrade