Windows 10: Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode

Discus and support Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I followed this great tutorial an creating a custom Windows 10 image: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mschirad, Feb 21, 2016.

1. mschirad Win User

Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode

I followed this great tutorial an creating a custom Windows 10 image: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

Everything worked great and I put the image on several computers and all seemed to be working great - until I realized that Java and Internet Explorer are were not working together. IE Freezes when trying to use Java on website.

I've done everything i can think of to try and troubleshoot.
    1. I created a new image with a fresh download of Windows 10.
    2. I removed Java and reinstalled.
    3. I've reset my IE settings/Java settings
    4. I disabled IE 11 via the control panel, rebooted, re-enabled it

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? When I test IE and java before I do sysprep it works. After sysprep it no longer works.

I also tried to make an image where i didn't install Java before sys prep and only installed it after. That still did not work.

thanks for looking,
    Mathew

:)

mschirad, Feb 21, 2016
  2. DewgZom Win User

Modify Edge Settings in Audit Mode

While setting up an image for Windows 10 Pro, while in Audit Mode, you cannot make changes to Edge. I'd like to be able to setup various settings (home page, pop up blocker, Home button, etc.) that will be set for every user via copyprofile in sysprep.
    IE11 can be setup this way, but Edge doesn't work in Audit Mode.

How do you make changes to Edge while in Audit Mode before sysprep/image creation?

DewgZom, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 21, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Strange. I have had no issues with Java on a sysprepped system. Do you have any other issues with the sysprepped image?

5. mschirad Win User
    Everything else seems to be working just fine. I don't see any other issues. In looking further, it's not just java. IE is not working correctly. On my sysprepped system, even without Java installed many webpages that have to load any content do not work correctly.

mschirad, Feb 21, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    I use sysprepped images exclusively, never installing without personalization in Audit Mode. I have never experienced issues you describe. It will be almost impossible to tell why you are experiencing this.

What build and edition your sysprepped image is? Do the issues occur on each PC you have deployed this image to?

7. mschirad Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Pro. Build 1511. I really appreciated your detailed post about creating the image. It seemed to go smooth until I noticed this issue. I've installed on multiple computers and created several different images. I end up with the same result. I'm puzzled.

mschirad, Feb 21, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Basically there's no way Sysprep can cause this. Sysprep has none whatsoever effect in installed software and how they work, it simply only sets some registry values and changes the internal environment variables when needed.

I am sorry for not being able to assist you, your issue is an enigma; the only thing coming to my mind is that the Java installer is faulty but I guess that's too far fetched, you have most probably used an original installer.

Does your answer file contain a lot of customizations?

9. mschirad Win User
    It's very strange. I don't get it.

Here is my answer file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi*RedfacefflineImage cpi:source="wim*Biggrin:/sources/install.wim#Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

mschirad, Feb 21, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    OK, you only have CopyProfile=TRUE, nothing else in answer file. It should work without issues.

One more question: the only reason to use the CopyProfile=TRUE is to get the default user profile customized (theme, colours, screensaver, browser homepage, install software for allusers and so on). Did you remember to use the /generalize switch when sysprepping? CopyProfile=TRUE needs that switch with Sysprep command, otherwise all customizations will be ignored.

11. mschirad Win User
    yes. and all of my customization are there. it really worked perfectly - other than IE problems. I also created the system on 4 different computers, one was a virtual. same results each time.

I know I can use another browser - and I've have installed Firefox and everything works fine. We do use pinned tabs on the task bar so I really would like IE to work. I'm going to try a few other ideas.

mschirad, Feb 21, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    Keep us posted!

As it happens, I started to make a video about this whole process, customizing Windows 10 install image in Audit Mode about the same time you posted your original post (check the Windows system clock when I've posted it *Wink). Just now editing the video, posting it later today in tutorial thread. But: I am afraid that will not show anything new for you; I do not use Java, there's nothing that would make me to install it.

13. mschirad Win User

I decided to download the July ISO from Microsoft and try it again because this was driving me crazy.

it works with that build. I used this download: Windows 10 Professional (Released Jul '15) 64 Bit English 64 bit 3839 MB ISO

I'm curious if you have a system that has a fresh install from a sysprepped system using the lastest build of Windows 10 Pro if this site will work for you in IE: Sign in to Online Banking

Thanks!

mschirad, Feb 22, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    Edge:

Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode [​IMG]

IE:

Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode [​IMG]

The above on a heavily customized (Sysprep in Audit Mode) machine, Windows 10 Education x64 Build 14267. No Java installed (I refuse to install it), default settings in both browsers.

15. njdedhed Win User
    We are experiencing exactly the same issue. The reason sites other than Java fail (at least in our tests) is that Flash fails as well. I am not going to argue the pros & cons of Flash or Java. Some of our users require Java for web apps and many pages still use embedded Flash resulting in the browser hang that mschirad is seeing.

We tested the Sign in to Online Banking link that mschirad provided and we have the same issue.

Apparently we both have something missing or wrong in our unattend.xml file or within the audit process. Here is our unattend.xml file. Let us know what we're missing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi*RedfacefflineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Win 10 RTM Professional" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

njdedhed, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode - Similar Threads - Trouble system image

2. Will Sysprep clear the audit logs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Sysprep clear the audit logs: Hi,I wanted a confirmation on, Does shut downing instance with sysprep clear the audit logs generating windows event id 1102Regards,Anjani CM* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  3. Trouble making a system image Windows 10

Trouble making a system image Windows 10: I am trying to backup my computer using a Samsung Portable SSD T5 HD. The computer will not let me make a system image stating the following; "The drive cannot be used to store a system image because it is not formatted with NTFS". I was planning to use this device to use...
  4. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  5. unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image

unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image: Hi I've been in the process of configuring a build of Windows 10 to sysprep, clone and deploy for use with Dells. While working in audit mode (via the usual CTRL + Shift + F3), I accidentally shut down sysprep.exe, immediately after doing this, messages appeared and without...
  6. Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE: IT, trying to create a backup image using macrium although my issues are just for sysprep, At the moment i am just trying to figure things out, so I am installing windows 10 education on SSD (computer has a ssd and a hardrive) then boot into windows and on the first screen...
  7. Sysprep audit mode - remove\prevent bloatware from Store

in Windows 10 Support
    Sysprep audit mode - remove\prevent bloatware from Store: Hi, While in Sysprep audit mode what is the cleanest way to remove the bloatware that MS inists upon installing from the Store? I have seen a few different scripts and the goal is to remove this crap and prevent it from returning. So assuming there is a good way of doing...
  8. Unable to enter Sysprep Audit Mode - Control + Shift + F3

Unable to enter Sysprep Audit Mode - Control + Shift + F3: Hi, Trying to boot into Audit mode with a Lenovo X1 Yoga G2. I am at the screen where I am prompted with "Who's Going to use this PC". When I press Control + Shift + F3 the system volume goes up. This is Windows 10 Enterprise, Build\Version 1709. How can I get into Audit...
  9. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...
  10. Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep: How to: Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep [img] Information First a quote from Microsoft TechNet: Understanding Audit Mode: When Windows boots first time, the computer can start in one of the following two modes: .methodtop { margin: 8px...