Windows 10: Troubleshoot Reset This PC

Discus and support Troubleshoot Reset This PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I go into the following screen and click on Get Started. I then choose the option to Keep My Files. I am then presented with Getting Things Ready. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by boweasel, Mar 15, 2016.

1. boweasel Win User

Troubleshoot Reset This PC

I go into the following screen and click on Get Started. I then choose the option to Keep My Files. I am then presented with Getting Things Ready. This Won't Take Long. Which is actually true, since I almost immediately get a screen saying There was a problem resetting your PC. There is no error code and the only option is to click on the word Close.
    Troubleshoot Reset This PC [​IMG]

:)

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016

2. RESET THIS PC!, "RESET THIS PC" OR "ADVANCED OPTION" DOESN'T EXIST

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply:

1. Do you receive any error message? If yes please reply with the error message and error code.

2. Did you use the Get Windows 10 app or the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10?

I would suggest you do a startup repair by using Windows 10 DVD. If you do not have Windows 10 DVD I would suggest you create one. Follow the steps from the links below:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

Follow the steps below to run a startup repair using Windows 10 DVD

Boot from the Windows 10 DVD.

a) At the Install Now screen, click Repair your computer >Advanced Options >
    Troubleshoot > Startup repair

b) Follow the on screen instructions

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Mar 15, 2016
  3. RESET THIS PC!, "RESET THIS PC" OR "ADVANCED OPTION" DOESN'T EXIST

I want to downgrade my W10 since it makes my asus laptop malfunction however whenever I click the "Troubleshoot" menu in the advanced startup option the "reset this pc or "advanced option" doesn't exist. the question how can I downgrade my PC is this options
    are not shown. Please Help me.

#ohohW10

qwertysilver, Mar 15, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Did this PC come with Windows 10 or did you upgrade from a previous Operating system ? Are you having an issue is the reasons you want to reset the PC, if so what are they ?

jds63, Mar 15, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Depending on the severity of the problem which prompted you to run Reset This PC.
    It is preferable to fix the problem(s) instead of Reset this PC.

However, if it turns out to be too much to fix, you are better off doing a repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

It will allow you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.

If you find the tutorial a little intimidating, post back.
    I can offer you a simplified method.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  6. boweasel Win User
    I'd already begun the Repair Install Process by using the very same link you provided. Not having a Windows 10 disk, I elected to go with doing a repair install of Windows 10 with Get Windows 10 (GWX) app. It has now been on this screen, downloading Windows 10 for well over 7 hours. It is making progress - inching along at the rate of 1 percent every 10 minutes or so. I tried the reset as an alternative that I hoped wouldn't run me into next week to complete.
    Troubleshoot Reset This PC [​IMG]
    This came with Windows 10 installed. Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, Build 10586.104

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    7 hours ? And still going ? That does not sound right. You have a very slow internet ?
    You are on 10586.104 which was released on February 9th.
    Any reason you failed to update to current version ?
    The current version is 10586.164
    You are 2 versions behind.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  8. boweasel Win User

Laptop is glacially slow. Start Button no longer works on a left click - only on a right-click. Windows Store is still present on taskbar, but it's non-functional and has no label. Sfc /scannow found corrupt files, but was unable to fix all of them. Here's a link to a topic I started almost a day ago, but has garnered 0 responses. Included are the results of a DISM log.
    Why Can't Windows Search Find My File - Why Was Topic Moved?

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    It's too late now.
    I could have helped you on " Found corrupt files but unable to repair " and "Source files not found ".

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  10. boweasel Win User
    No, I do not have a slow internet. The Windows 7 laptop I'm currently using is just fine speed-wise. It's the W10 laptop itself that is so slow. For everything (at least a minute to bring up taskmgr). AFAIK, the 10's settings are to perform updates automatically, so the fact that it's not current is simply another reason why I wanted to do a reset.

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You have a bad copy of Windows 10.
    I have Win 10 Pro Insider Preview on a 6+years old Dell laptop, and Win 10 Home RTM on a 2 +years old Acer.
    None of them took more than 3 hours to download and install Windows.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  12. boweasel Win User
    Well davidhk... why didn't you help? I originally posted to General Support about 24 hours ago. At that time all I knew was that a Windows Update had removed about half of my desktop icons and my Windows 7 games. The topic was (unfortunately, it seems) labeled Update Removed Windows 7 Games. A moderator apparently only read the subject and promptly moved it to the Gaming subforum. I then posted another topic to General Support, wondering why my topic had been moved, and why Windows 10 search failed to find the executable file for the Windows 7 games. I continued to edit that thread, adding screenshots and additional information as the scope of my problem became clearer. That second thread, last time I looked, was on page 3 of the GS subforum, with 0 responses. I'd been admonished before to edit rather than reply to my own topic, since seeing more than zero responses would make potential answerers think somebody else was working on it. Obviously that hasn't worked out. Realizing that this went beyond the loss of my W7 games, I would have loved to change the subject. I can't. So I just waited. And waited.

And what's preventing you from helping now? Nothing has changed. I'm simply downloading Windows 10 to the desktop. I don't have to use it. If you have a better idea, what is it? Or what was it? And why is it no longer viable?

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

I am sorry. I missed that thread of yours.
    1. I only look at the list on the front page. I do not open every sub-forum and see what's inside.
    2. My time spending here depends on whether I have the free time or not. Meaning I do not sit by the computer waiting for new threads to show up.
    So, it is not hard to miss your thread.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  14. boweasel Win User
    So where does that leave us (me)? Nothing has changed on my end to scuttle whatever better method you have (or had).

boweasel, Mar 15, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I am just one lowly member trying to help out.
    There are many members with much better and superior knowledge than I can hope to have.
    Like me, most members can only be here on their free time.
    We are all volunteers, you know.
    Patience is the key word.

Meanwhile you are still running the Repair Install, aren't you ?
    So, let's see what comes of it.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Troubleshoot Reset This PC - Similar Threads - Troubleshoot Reset

2. How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?: Hi I was trying to reset my laptop but when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options and doesn’t let me reset my laptop I’m assuming that is the school administrator doing but how can I reset my laptop without it skipping to advanced options.* Changed to a...
  3. How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?: Hi I was trying to reset my laptop but when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options and doesn’t let me reset my laptop I’m assuming that is the school administrator doing but how can I reset my laptop without it skipping to advanced options....
  4. How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?: Hi I was trying to reset my laptop but when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options and doesn’t let me reset my laptop I’m assuming that is the school administrator doing but how can I reset my laptop without it skipping to advanced options....
  5. How can I reset my laptop when I click on troubleshoot it just skips to advanced options?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Reset computer to factory reset, now i can't connect to the internet, run troubleshooting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset computer to factory reset, now i can't connect to the internet, run troubleshooting...: I have an HP touchsmart PC, over 10yrs old, was using it fine to watch movies and browse the intenet but suddently it kept on crashing. Then it gave me the option to reset computer to factory reset and i did, but now i can't connect to the internet even though i am connected...
  7. Reset computer to factory reset, now i can't connect to the internet, run troubleshooting...

Reset computer to factory reset, now i can't connect to the internet, run troubleshooting...: I have an HP touchsmart PC, over 10yrs old, was using it fine to watch movies and browse the intenet but suddently it kept on crashing. Then it gave me the option to reset computer to factory reset and i did, but now i can't connect to the internet even though i am connected...
  8. Unable to reset LaptopReset option missing in troubleshoot

Unable to reset LaptopReset option missing in troubleshoot: There is a virus in my laptop and I am trying to reset my laptop but I am unable to do so.i was unable to open settings so I used command prompt to open WinRe but the reset option is missing there.When I am clicking on troubleshoot in WinRe it is directly taking me to...
  9. Unable to reset LaptopReset option missing in troubleshoot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reset LaptopReset option missing in troubleshoot: There is a virus in my laptop and I am trying to reset my laptop but I am unable to do so.i was unable to open settings so I used command prompt to open WinRe but the reset option is missing there.When I am clicking on troubleshoot in WinRe it is directly taking me to...
  10. How do I factory reset my PC, when if I click troubleshoot the restart option won't show BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I factory reset my PC, when if I click troubleshoot the restart option won't show BSOD: Ok, after my PC restarts it gives many options to select my keyboard layout, I obviously picked the US. After I clicked on the option US it's brings me to a screen Choose an option.The options are "troubleshoot"And "shut off PC". Whenever I click on the troubleshoot option my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. troubleshoot this pc