Windows 10: Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices says Restart your PC... forever

Discus and support Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices says Restart your PC... forever in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to troubleshoot why my C drive runs all of the time. As part of that attempt, I run Troubleshooting and select Hardware and Devices. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xrbbaker, Aug 8, 2017.

1. xrbbaker Win User

Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices says Restart your PC... forever

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my C drive runs all of the time. As part of that attempt, I run Troubleshooting and select Hardware and Devices. It states that it made changes and I need to "Restart your PC to finish installing drivers and updates." I do this and then run Troubleshooter again and select Hardware and Devices. It says same thing every time.

I've modified the MSCONFIG to get a clean boot and run it again. Same thing. It still asks me to restart the PC. Any ideas on what is going on?

Thank you

:)

xrbbaker, Aug 8, 2017

2. Drivers for bluetooth adapter

Try running Hardware & Devices troubleshooter

Type Troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down & Click Hardware & Devices > Click Run the Troubleshooter & follow on-screen directions > Restart the computer after troubleshooting is completed

What is the make and model of your bluetooth device?

E for Excel, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Sound Issue

Dear Charlie,

It's already finds the audio hardwares after I restart the PC. But it still says No audio output device is enabled. And at Other hardwares, Multimedia Audio Controller hasn't installed and it says No Compatible Driver for This Device.

My PC is Desktop, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. System model: To Be Filled By O.E.M

Hardware IDs of Audio: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011113F6&REV_10

KadirKarahan, Aug 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could you clarify that? Do you mean you see a lot of read/write activity to the drive?

Could you post a screenshot of your task manager like this just to give an initial view:

Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices says Restart your PC... forever [​IMG]

Click on Disk to organise that column high to low.

To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

Please also advise what sort of disks you have. (see my specs below for comparison).

dalchina, Aug 8, 2017
  5. xrbbaker Win User
    Well of course now it seems to be a bit better. *Smile All morning I heard the drive thrashing around. This, while everything I clicked on had a several second delay. Drag a screen... wait. Click a tab... wait. I tried several things, including moving my virtual memory from my main hard drive to my secondary hard drive. The task manager seems to show the disk running at around 50%, however if I flip over to the performance tab, it shows the C drive running much higher. See second pic. Typically it shows at 100%. It's a bit less than that now. Maybe some of my changes made a difference? Maybe not.

Thanks for the help.

xrbbaker, Aug 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, so it's something to do with a Windows update. There's no network activity, so no downloads.

Disk usage is worryingly high, but your RAM is ok, so shouldn't be page file related.

I would start by running a test on your disk-however, there's the slight problem of the usage.

Anyway, download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    If normal mode won't work, it might work in Safe Mode.

Notice the very low transfer rate....

dalchina, Aug 8, 2017
  7. xrbbaker Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

I've been away for a few hours. Check it out now. It's purring like a kitten. Is it possible that, as you say, there was a Windows update that was just running for hours and hours? It sure seems like I have my pc back - AND I went in to MSCONFIG and put it back to normal startup, started the antivirus, etc. Sure seems like something isn't eating my machine anymore...

Thank you

xrbbaker, Aug 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, nonetheless, there's no way disk usage should be so high, and for so long- and at what seems a low transfer rate. Best to check.

1. Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    2. Download and run Crystal Diskmark and run the benchmark.
    Here's mine on my hard drive.

dalchina, Aug 8, 2017
  9. xrbbaker Win User
    Cool! I'm anxious to try that. I'm heading out the door for some R&R. Back Sunday night. I'll jump back into this on my return Monday. Thanks so much!

Russ

xrbbaker, Aug 9, 2017
  10. xrbbaker Win User
    Dalchina,

The sentinel has a comment about a weak sector, but doesn't seem overly concerned. How do these numbers look to you? ...and again thanks very much for the help!

xrbbaker, Aug 13, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Originally you said you had trouble when restarting your PC- try that again.

Please post a screenshot of your Update History.

Physically your drive seems ok. However there are quite a number of reports if you look for them where disk usage in practice-particularly related to updates- seems poor, but Crystal Diskmark figures look good, and like yours in #3 show 100% usage at low transfer rates.

This indicates a resource bottleneck.

See this thread and read the links I posted in #11
    Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates - Windows 10 Forums

I'm away for 12 days or so - like you, at last a holiday; hopefully you can research further or someone will come along with a bright idea.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2017
  12. xrbbaker Win User
    Interesting. My update history is just about blank.

However, if I go to Control Panel, there are clearly many, and recent updates.

xrbbaker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices says Restart your PC... forever - Similar Threads - Troubleshooting Hardware Devices

2. Issues with hardware and device troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with hardware and device troubleshooter: I recently had a problem which was the live kernel event with codes 1a8 and 1b8 saying hardware error so when i troubleshooted with hardware and devices troubleshooter it says me to restart to finish installing drivers and updates. Like whenever i run the troubleshooter it...
  3. Issues with hardware and device troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with hardware and device troubleshooter: I recently had a problem which was the live kernel event with codes 1a8 and 1b8 saying hardware error so when i troubleshooted with hardware and devices troubleshooter it says me to restart to finish installing drivers and updates. Like whenever i run the troubleshooter it...
  4. Pc says "Your device needs to be restarted" Everyday.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc says "Your device needs to be restarted" Everyday.: Everytime i use my pc and do stuff for a couple of hours, The blue screen always pops up and my pc automatically restarts, its been happening since last week, Every 6 hours the blue screen pops up and i try to find the problem but i cant seem to find it. I would like help and...
  5. Pc says "Your device needs to be restarted" Everyday.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc says "Your device needs to be restarted" Everyday.: Everytime i use my pc and do stuff for a couple of hours, The blue screen always pops up and my pc automatically restarts, its been happening since last week, Every 6 hours the blue screen pops up and i try to find the problem but i cant seem to find it. I would like help and...
  6. Pc says "Your device needs to be restarted" Everyday.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Hardware and Devices Troubleshoot Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware and Devices Troubleshoot Error: Hello,I saw this thread Troubleshooting Wizard doesn't work - Microsoft Community and I tried following the instructions. For the sfc /scannow, it found no integrity violations. I followed as stated aftwerwards:dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealthNo component store...
  8. Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hardware & Devices Troubleshooter: On both my desktop pc and laptop when accessing Troubleshooter History the title Hardware and Devices troubleshooter are in blue hyperlink and 'Could not be run on 03/07/2020 Critical troubleshooter' appear in red. When I click on the link I get...
  9. Laptop says hardware and devices troubleshooter is disabled?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop says hardware and devices troubleshooter is disabled?: I'm trying to fix a problem with my drawing tablet, so I need to get the "Hardware and Devices" troubleshooter. The problem is, it doesn't have it in the settings app. I tried forcing it open I saw a website say to go to windows powershelladmin and then typing in "msdt.exe...
  10. "Hardware and Devices" missing from Troubleshooter!

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Hardware and Devices" missing from Troubleshooter!: Hello guys, Last week I updated my Windows 10 Home to version 1809. After that, when I checked the Troubleshooter, Hardware and Devices (which was an option in previous Windows versions) seem to be missing! [ATTACH] Is this a bug? Or is there a new option?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to troubleshool 100% disk usage?