Windows 10: True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

Discus and support True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, can anyone please let me know if it is possible to create a True Crypt Encrypted OS when using a SSD and a Sata HDD installed. When creating the 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dejager183, Jan 3, 2015.

1. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

Hi, can anyone please let me know if it is possible to create a True Crypt Encrypted OS when using a SSD and a Sata HDD installed. When creating the 2 OS with one encrypted on just one HDD that is partitioned it works perfectly, but as soon as I add an SSD with one OS it wont work...am I just overlooking something ? I am not sure if this is only on Win 10 or all other Windows versions also the case.

:)

dejager183, Jan 3, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Weird file path bug?

Hi!

There is issues with HDD and SSD on the same motherboard if the motherboard does not support it. Is you SSD plugged into a SATA port or PCIe port/slot? You may have to put the SATA into IDE mode. You could look up the motherboard at manufactures website
    and see if they have a manual.

Google search

HDD and SSD on same motherboard

Teddy2016, Jan 3, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Why is there no AHCI mode in my BIOS??

Yes, you do need to set SATA mode to AHCI for your SSD wo work correctly

AHCi is not a boot mode or priority, you seem to be in the wrong BIOS Tab

Look on the system Status or Advanced settings sections

Look for SATA MODE setting, then set that to AHCI

Please note the following is the procedure for installing Windows 10 on a system with an SSD for OS and Apps with a HDD for Data:

1. Remove the HDD

2. Plug the SSD into the SATA Port the HDD was pluggedinto

3. Set SATA mode to AHCI (must be done before installing Windows)

4. Install Windows onto the SSD

5. When Windows has installed completely, turn off PC

and reconnect the Data HDD to another SATA Port

DaveM121, Jan 3, 2015
  4. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

Hi dj,

Take a look at the TrueCrypt page:
    As far as I understand it, TrueCrypt developers decided to end support. Given that Win8 and Win10 have built in encryption, it makes sense to migrate to native encryption.

To answer your question though, I don't know if the issue is Win10 only. The screen shot on the TrueCrypt page looks like a Win8 screen shot. For all intents and purposes the base of Win10 was Win8 update 2 (Windows 9??? oh wait they called it Windows 10), but has changed since the initial release.

I guess that tells me that version 7.2 is the version you want if you plan on migrating (or plan continued use).

There was a lot of press on the True Crypt announcement - It still works, they just don't plan on continued support.

It appears now though that some folks are keeping it alive, albeit with a new name and new licensing.
    That's about all I know about it - I'd migrate if I used TrueCrypt
    disclaimer: I don't use any type of encryption on my drives

Slartybart, Jan 4, 2015
  5. As far as I understand it, TrueCrypt developers decided to end support. Given that Win8 and Win10 have built in encryption, it makes sense to migrate to native encryption.

To answer your question though, I don't know if the issue is Win10 only. The screen shot on the TrueCrypt page looks like a Win8 screen shot. For all intents and purposes the base of Win10 was Win8 update 2 (Windows 9??? oh wait they called it Windows 10), but has changed since the initial release.

I guess that tells me that version 7.2 is the version you want if you plan on migrating (or plan continued use).

There was a lot of press on the True Crypt announcement - It still works, they just don't plan on continued support.

It appears now though that some folks are keeping it alive, albeit with a new name and new licensing.
    That's about all I know about it - I'd migrate if I used TrueCrypt
    disclaimer: I don't use any type of encryption on my drives Thanks a million Slartybart, I appreciate the info. What encryption software would you recommend that has the same functionality as TrueCrypt? Encrypting drives and creating hidden operating systems etc???

dejager183, Jan 5, 2015
  6. As I mentioned in my disclaimer, I don't use any type of drive encryption, so I'm not qualified to recommend any alternative.

I'll defer to what the folks at TrueCrypt say: use the Windows integrated Bitlocker
    They give detailed instructions on how to migrate on the link I posted, but here it is again to make it easier:
    TrueCrypt

The only thing I would emphasize is the reference to TrueCrypt version 7.2 at the bottom of their page.
    It seems to me as though they are recommending that version for the migration to Bitlocker.
    But I'm not sure and really have to leave any decisions and research up to you.
    I wish I knew more about TrueCrpyt so that I could provide more definitive answers, but alas I do not.

I'll see if another member will jump in with some suggestions or provide definite answers for you.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 6, 2015
  7. crawfish Win User
    It was absolutely possible up to Windows 7, the last version TrueCrypt officially supported. Of course, the TrueCrypt project was suddenly abandoned in May, and they gave instructions on moving to BitLocker. I wholeheartedly recommend you follow that suggestion, and I explained why in detail in a couple of messages here:

TeraByte Unlimited

The first message is concerned with imaging, while the second is more concerned with general advantages of BitLocker over TrueCrypt. The only reasons to prefer TrueCrypt are portability, read-only mounting, and plausible deniability, but you sacrifice so much on Windows for those capabilities that it is not remotely worth it. BitLocker is far superior to TrueCrypt if you don't care about those things.

crawfish, Jan 6, 2015
  8. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

Thank you for the response and reply. *Smile

dejager183, Jan 6, 2015
  9. As highlighted above, Truecrypt.org ended very abruptly some time ago without any full explanation as to why however it has been picked up by some developers in Switzerland and their site can be found here - TCnext - Site dedicated to the development of the next "truecrypt"

With regards to your question it may be worth posting it on their support forum here TCnext

Cheers,
    Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Jan 6, 2015
  10. You're welcome DJ,

I guess you have to ask the question Can I still use TrueCrypt until the TCnext folks patch the security holes, or should I migrate to something else?

Jamie pointed you to the TCnext forum and they might have better answers. Those answers might be weighted towards keeping TrueCrypt and migrating to TCnext CipherShiled when the audit is complete and new development begins - but that's just a guess too.

I was hoping a TenForums member who uses or had used TrueCrypt would pop in and offer their advice. They still might, so keep checking your thread. From what I've read, there isn't any urgency to migrate because the security holes have been there for a while, the TrueCrypt developers simply decided not to continue patching the software. I hope that eases any concerns of yours that might have been raised when I alerted you to the status of TrueCrypt.

Since this is a Windows 10 forum, your question might have been academic in preparation for when Win10 is released to the public. Still, you had a basis for asking the question, so continue planning for a migration.

Bitlocker seems to be the logical choice, it's free, it's available on (Win7-Ultimate & Enterprise only), Win8 and Win10, and it's supported.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 6, 2015
  11. adamf Win User
    Bitlocker will encrypt drives no problem. For example:
    BitLocker - Turn On or Off for OS Drive in Windows 8
    BitLocker - Turn On for Removable Data Drives in Windows 8

You could try this method to make an encrypted container How to Create an Encrypted Container File With BitLocker on Windows

Not sure about creating hidden operating systems - you can't really hide them. You can encrypt them so the contents are unknowable (so you wouldn't know it was an OS) but that 10GB of space on disk will still be taken and can be seen one way or another. At the most basic you could make a partition, not assign it a drive letter and encrypt that but you would still see it in disk management or via another OS - you just couldn't tell what it was.

adamf, Jan 6, 2015
  12. Here's something on SevenForums.com that might help
    For TrueCrypt Users. - Windows 7 Help Forums

There are some alternatives offered, but remember Bitlocker wasn't available on Win7 unless you were running Ultimate or Enterprise, so the choices over there focus more on other open source software. Worth a read, but ... I'll keep saying "Why not use BitLocker" now that it is included with all versions of Win8 and presumably Win10.

Slartybart, Jan 6, 2015
  13. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

Thank you Jamie *Biggrin

dejager183, Jan 6, 2015
  14. Golden Win User
    Golden, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD

1. True Crypt Encrypted OS with SSD & SATA HDD - Similar Threads - True Crypt Encrypted

2. Transfering the OS from a SATA SSD to an M.2 SSD...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfering the OS from a SATA SSD to an M.2 SSD...: So as the title suggests, I'm wanting to transfer my Windows 10 OS from my already connected SATA SSD to a new and larger M.2 SSD that I'm installing. I have around 500gb of data on the old (SATA) SSD, but the only thing I want to transfer is the OS. Is there a way to retain...
  3. Transfering OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering OS from HDD to SSD: I just bought SSD recently and want to make it as my OS, but the problem is my license is OEM.I read out there that cloning your OS from HDD to SSD using a partition wizard or something is easy and can transfer the license as well. In my case i want a clean installation on my...
  4. OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OS from HDD to SSD: I’m trying to migrate my operating system from the HDD to SSD however when I choose, which one I want it to go to( the ssd) it says cannot use source disk. This doesn’t make any sense because windows folder is clearly on the HDD and I use the HDD as a boot drive so I can not...
  5. Transfer OS From HDD to SSD

Transfer OS From HDD to SSD: I have a HP laptop with original Windows 10 Home Edition. My present Hard Drive is very slow HDD. Now I want to use a new SSD and want to reinstall this original OS to my new SSD. But I have lost my Product Key. What is the process. Thanks....
  6. Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD: Hello everyone, I have old PC with system configuration as below: Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz RAM:2GB MotherBoard:Asus P5kpl-am/ps HDD:WD 512GB No Graphics Card,Intel stock cooler. Recnetly I have upgraded the PC from windows 7 professional 32bit to...
  7. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  8. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  9. Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?: Windows 10 x64 Pro, v1803, OS build 17134.165. OS disk: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0, basic internal SATA, 1Tb, 56% full. I often find, for the first 15-30 minutes after startup, that the operating system disk is running at 100% active (from Task Mgr), with average response times of...
  10. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable: Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x" Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows overlooking hdd