Windows 10: Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck

Discus and support Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello! I have a 1TB external HDD crypted with TrueCrypt since a couple of months and it's 99% full of important files. I wanted to decrypt it so I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by whaddup, Jun 24, 2018.

1. whaddup Win User

Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck

Hello! I have a 1TB external HDD crypted with TrueCrypt since a couple of months and it's 99% full of important files. I wanted to decrypt it so I used "permanent decrypt", put my password and the progress bar is at 0.029% and the estimating time got from 8 hours to 160 days and counting and then I head a short and high pitched noise from my external hdd and I get an error (the device isn't ready) and after clicking ok I get another error (In the picture) and then stops. This repeats when I always try to resume the decrypting process.
    I'm using a Windows 8 Live CD as my internal hard drive it's almost dead as well, looking to recover some stuff with testdisk..
    Since it's such a small percent, can I restore volume header to make it work again? What do you suggest?

Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck [​IMG]

:)

whaddup, Jun 24, 2018
  2. Greg00000 Win User

Windows 7 to 10 upgrade: TrueCrypt 7.1a

I was unable to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 while using TrueCrypt full disk encryption. Once I decrypted my system disk, I upgraded to Windows 10 without problem. I then re encrypted the Windows 10 drive using TrueCrypt and it is working fine. I am
    able to access all external encrypted drives in Windows 10 without any problems as well.

Greg00000, Jun 25, 2018
  3. BRAC55 Win User
    Windows 7 to 10 upgrade: TrueCrypt 7.1a

I have a standard Truecrypt volume container (700 GB) on an external hard disk. I would like a confirmation if I can access the volume after the upgrade (Windows 10) without having to decrypt the entire volume prior to upgrading.
    Not to mention transferring all the data onto a new disk (which I don't possess yet) Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck :) before decryption.

I'm aware existing TC volumes on the OS drive need decrypting.

BRAC55, Jun 25, 2018
  4. Robfusc8 Win User

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck - Similar Threads - Truecrypt Permanently decrypting

2. External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%: Hi, I've seen many posts reporting a similar problem around, but none of the proposed solution really helped. So I'm here to ask for some additinal help.This HDD used to be an internal system disk on a WIn10 laptop, encrypted with Bitlocker. The laptop has been upgraded to an...
  3. External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD BitLocker decryption stuck at 25.6%: Hi, I've seen many posts reporting a similar problem around, but none of the proposed solution really helped. So I'm here to ask for some additinal help.This HDD used to be an internal system disk on a WIn10 laptop, encrypted with Bitlocker. The laptop has been upgraded to an...
  4. Decrypt an encrypted External HDD in other version of windows

Decrypt an encrypted External HDD in other version of windows: HiI was using a HP Laptop with Windows 10 Pro which I sold out recently. I had encrypted the usable space of my 1.5Tb external HDD appx 600 GB through that HP laptop with Windows 10 ProNow when I am trying to decrypt the drive in my new Samsung Laptop with Windows 11 Pro, I...
  5. Decrypt an encrypted External HDD in other version of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypt an encrypted External HDD in other version of windows: HiI was using a HP Laptop with Windows 10 Pro which I sold out recently. I had encrypted the usable space of my 1.5Tb external HDD appx 600 GB through that HP laptop with Windows 10 ProNow when I am trying to decrypt the drive in my new Samsung Laptop with Windows 11 Pro, I...
  6. Windows 11 stuck with HDD decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 stuck with HDD decryption: My Windows 11 has been stuck decrypting my HDD. There was a power failure while the decryption was happening and now every time the computer starts, the decryption process starts but fails to make any progress. My HDD shows 100 % usage and I'm unable to either kill the...
  7. Windows 11 stuck with HDD decryption

Windows 11 stuck with HDD decryption: My Windows 11 has been stuck decrypting my HDD. There was a power failure while the decryption was happening and now every time the computer starts, the decryption process starts but fails to make any progress. My HDD shows 100 % usage and I'm unable to either kill the...
  8. Windows 10 stuck with HDD decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck with HDD decryption: My Windows 11 has been stuck decrypting my HDD. There was a power failure while the decryption was happening and now every time the computer starts, the decryption process starts but fails to make any progress. My HDD shows 100 % usage and I'm unable to either kill the...
  9. Windows 10 stuck with HDD decryption

Windows 10 stuck with HDD decryption: My Windows 11 has been stuck decrypting my HDD. There was a power failure while the decryption was happening and now every time the computer starts, the decryption process starts but fails to make any progress. My HDD shows 100 % usage and I'm unable to either kill the...
  10. My External HDD got disconnected while decrypting bitlocker.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My External HDD got disconnected while decrypting bitlocker.: So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got disconnected and the decryption was disrupted and then it took time to load up the password page and It said the correct...