Windows 10: Try saving a copy instead.This file is locked by another app right now

Discus and support Try saving a copy instead.This file is locked by another app right now in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This has been going on for as long as I've had Windows 10 and I continue to be unable to find a solution. For a while, I was finding other people on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Abc123, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Abc123 Win User

Try saving a copy instead.This file is locked by another app right now

This has been going on for as long as I've had Windows 10 and I continue to be unable to find a solution. For a while, I was finding other people on various forums with the same problem - some of them were talking about a COM surrogate error - but never found anything useful.

Inside the Photos app, if I trim a video or edit photos, I often get an error when I try to save the new file. It says "Try saving a copy instead. This file is locked by another app right now."

I've taken ownership of everything, I've tried saving copies and then editing the copy, I've tried saving to different locations...nothing ever works.

:)

Abc123, Jun 26, 2016
  2. FredEEW Win User

Photo App. does not allow me to save changes to original photo

Windows Photo App. works great until I attempt to edit a picture. Once I am finished editing and want to save it the only option that I have is to copy it. All I want to do is to update the original. What can I do?

I select the photo, hit Edit, hit Rotate and hit Save. The response is:

Save Copy? The file is locked by another app. at this time?

FredEEW, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Can't edit pictures in Windows 10

When I try to edit a picture I get the message the file is locked by another app. Looking at the picture file attributes they show the files are locked. When I change the attribute to unlock them it appears they unlock but I still can't edit them, when
    I go back and look at the attributes they again show the file is locked.

I tried making a copy of a file and editing the copies and they can't be edited either

RandyCheadle, Jun 26, 2016
Thema:

Try saving a copy instead.This file is locked by another app right now

1. Try saving a copy instead.This file is locked by another app right now - Similar Threads - Try saving copy

2. Clicked on "save" option instead of "save a copy " in photos app. But I am unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicked on "save" option instead of "save a copy " in photos app. But I am unable to...: I ended up editing a photo, instead of saving a copy of it on windows using "save a copy" option clicked on "save" option now the edited image replaced my original image . Is there any way to retain my original image? when I am going through the pictures the original image...
  3. Clicked on "save" option instead of "save a copy " in photos app. But I am unable to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicked on "save" option instead of "save a copy " in photos app. But I am unable to...: I ended up editing a photo, instead of saving a copy of it on windows using "save a copy" option clicked on "save" option now the edited image replaced my original image . Is there any way to retain my original image? when I am going through the pictures the original image...
  4. Office Apps try to save to "Shared Documents" instead of "Documents"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office Apps try to save to "Shared Documents" instead of "Documents": I am having issues with user OneDrive's attempting to save to the wrong location. I have users, when attempting to save in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, their save location is "Shared Documents." If you look, the correct location is supposed to be "Documents":Correct...
  5. Office Apps try to save to "Shared Documents" instead of "Documents"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office Apps try to save to "Shared Documents" instead of "Documents": I am having issues with user OneDrive's attempting to save to the wrong location. I have users, when attempting to save in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, their save location is "Shared Documents." If you look, the correct location is supposed to be "Documents":Correct...
  6. Office Apps try to save to "Shared Documents" instead of "Documents"

7. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  8. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  9. Another app is controlling your sound right now. To listen here, close that app and try...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another app is controlling your sound right now. To listen here, close that app and try...: NEED HELP ASAP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/another-app-is-controlling-your-sound-right-now-to/34a87bad-4225-4512-908e-285563958074
  10. Photos App Win10 - Make "Save" the default choice instead of "Save a Copy"?

Photos App Win10 - Make "Save" the default choice instead of "Save a Copy"?: Hello, I am batch cropping some images for a project, and I absolutely DO NOT need to keep the originals. Is there some way to change the default save action to "Save" instead of "Save a Copy"? All "save" keyboard shortcuts I know - Ctrl+S Ctrl+Shift+S Alt+Ctrl+S -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. try saving a copy instead

2. try saving to copy insted problm in window