Windows 10: Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?

Discus and support Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to dual boot a Linux OS with my Windows 10 but there's already 4 partitions and it seems I can't create a new one for the Linux. Is it safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by larizada, Oct 15, 2017.

1. larizada Win User

Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?

I'm trying to dual boot a Linux OS with my Windows 10 but there's already 4 partitions and it seems I can't create a new one for the Linux. Is it safe to delete one or these or another way to make a new partition? Where did these extra partitions come from anyways?

Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one? [​IMG]

:)

larizada, Oct 15, 2017
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Recovery partition in Win 8.1 after upgrade to Win 10.0

To remove the recovery partition you need to use diskpart, which you can start using the command prompt you get By pressing right mouse key over Windows start icon and selecting "run" from the list.

Deleting the recovery partition you first need to use diskpart as follows:

1. type "diskpart" to run diskpart

2. type "list disk" to see a list of available disks in your pc; usually system is on "disk 0"

3. type "select disk 0" (ie. your system disk)

4. type "list partition" to see your partitions on the selected system disk, "recovery" being e.g. partition 4

5. type "select partition 4" (or what ever your system shows the recovery number to be)

6. type "delete partition override" to delete the selected recovery partition. Whithout override you probably will see a warning that deletion is not possible as the partition is in use - override will bypass this check,

Now that your recovery partition is deleted, you can use the new space By e.g. extending your C: partition up to the maximum or use it as another partion to e.g. save your documents. You and expand / use this new available space within Windows 10 disk management.

Hope this helps.

By the way, W10 installation will also create a big admin-level folder called $WINDOWS.~B (about 8 Gb in my case containing about the full W10 installation disk. Does anyone know if this folder can be deleted after the installation has proved working?

VesaTiirikainen, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

You have plenty of space on your C: partition, you should be able to easily create a new 100 gb partition from some of that space providing that drive is GPT. If it is MBR, then you are already at your limit.

Remember to back up all of your data before you mess with any partitions.

Rocky, Oct 15, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    You have a UEFI installation (GPT formatted). This is certain because of partitionp marked EFI.

As Rocky says, you can shrink C drive and create new partition.

You could delete the D drive recovery partition as that is clearly an old vendor recovery partition. Something is odd though as the D drive is listed twice.

cereberus, Oct 16, 2017
  6. larizada Win User
    Thanks! After I shrunk the C: partition it let me do it. I had heard somewhere I could only have 4 partitions but that was apparently outdated info.

I have no clue what's up with the D: drive being listed twice. This is the first time I've ever modified the partitions.

Thanks for the help

larizada, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one? - Similar Threads - Trying create disk

2. EFI partition is in the wrong drive, how can I create a new one in C:?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI partition is in the wrong drive, how can I create a new one in C:?: Hello everyone!I have an old HDD T: that I wanted to unplug. So I did it, but the PC didnt boot. After getting help from a friend, I managed to boot it again from the bios.The thing is that now I see that the EFI partition The boot is there, isnt it? is on said HDD T: and not...
  3. EFI partition is in the wrong drive, how can I create a new one in C:?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFI partition is in the wrong drive, how can I create a new one in C:?: Hello everyone!I have an old HDD T: that I wanted to unplug. So I did it, but the PC didnt boot. After getting help from a friend, I managed to boot it again from the bios.The thing is that now I see that the EFI partition The boot is there, isnt it? is on said HDD T: and not...
  4. I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...: First, I did this many times and I always disconnected the hard drives with data to avoid making mistakes. I opened the case and I got distracted and i made a big mistake. I wanted to do a clean installation of windows 10, I backed up my data in C\ and after booting the...
  5. Disk Partition Not Created

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Not Created: I tried to create a new partition on the hard drive 1TB of HP 15-Da0032wm from the Disk Management settings but I do get an error message that the partition cannot be created because there is not enough space even though I still have more than 700GB of free space....
  6. Trying to identify which disk partitions I want to delete

Trying to identify which disk partitions I want to delete: I assembled a PC a while ago, installed windows 10, and then duel booted with linux. I've decided I don't want my linux partition anymore and would rather dedicate 100% of my hard drive to windows. While booted into windows, I've gone to computer management, selected disk...
  7. How can I dual boot if I already have 4 partitions?

How can I dual boot if I already have 4 partitions?: So, I am trying to dual boot a Linux distro (not relevant) but I can't seem to make a partition for it, saying I can't have more than 4 primary partitions, (F:) being the flash drive with the OS. [ATTACH] I have looked at numerous tutorials but I can't seem to understand...
  8. New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?

New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?: Hi all, My SSD is short on space, it's 240GB. I've cleaned the new installation file using windows cleaner. However, I have a new partition which is 449MB. Under disk management, it shows as part of Disk 0 which is my C drive. It's description is 450MB NTFS, OEM Partition....
  9. New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?

New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?: After 1803 update on this PC's Windows 10 Pro it created (disk 0 partition 3) never had this before on 1709. I update another PC same as this Windows 10 Pro & it only had System Reserve 549 MB & The C Drive partition. I did a disk cleanup & deleted all & no change. [img]
  10. Can I delete one EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I delete one EFI partition?: Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here: [img] Can I delete the third partition, without making my system unbootable? Thanks in advance! 75670