Windows 10: Trying to do a clean install

Discus and support Trying to do a clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I keep getting an 025 error about 60 percent into installing Win 10 on a new WD 1TB drive. I've deleted and formatted partitions, and only used the one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brian925, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Brian925 Win User

Trying to do a clean install

I keep getting an 025 error about 60 percent into installing Win 10 on a new WD 1TB drive. I've deleted and formatted partitions, and only used the one drive, others disconnected. I upgraded from 7 to 10 some time back and that's on another drive but I want to do a clean install. Why is this so difficult? Actually I know why it's so difficult, I didn't buy a disc but upgraded for free. UGGGHHHH

:)

Brian925, Mar 17, 2017
  2. Nick Dich Win User

Trying to complete a clean install

Hi Kurt,

Having a clean install that keeps on failing is frustrating, I feel you on that. There might be some bad sectors on your hard drive preventing it to do the clean install. It is actually good that you have backed up all the things you want to save. This way,
    we can explore more options in resolving this issue without the fear of deleting important files. We have an article on our support site that can help you resolve this issue. Kindly visit the link provided here and see what option will work for you:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same concern.

Nick Dich, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Trying to complete a clean install

Hello,

I've been getting a few errors. Firstly i have been getting errors relating to xmILite.dll, i tried to fix that after search for a few ways to do it. That didn't work and now I've been getting the 'side by side configuration is incorrect'. I tried doing
    the fix for that on this site, i have tried uninstalling but i keep getting error 1719. I have also done the sfc/scannow in cmd and there are corrupted files. It then asks me to do a restart, which i do but there is no change. At the moment every program I
    try to open comes up with the 'side by side' error. I cant install anything and i cant uninstall anything.

So after all this is said stuff it i have all my important files on a separate hard drive so i will just do a wipe an a clean install of windows. Which gets to about 5% then windows says it cant complete. I have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated.

Kurt

KurtMckenzie, Mar 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What are you trying to install Windows 10 from, and what is an 025 error?

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2017
  5. Brian925 Win User
    I'm using the ISO file burned onto a DVD. The error I'm getting is 0x8007025d, Windows cannot install required files. I've tried downloading the ISO file twice and burned to another disc, still the same error code.

Brian925, Mar 17, 2017
  6. Hi Brian925

Have you made any changes in your BIOS. I think they are required to make this happen. Please reference your manual, page 26 ensure fast boot is disabled. Next, page 27, set OS type to Windows 8 (I don't think you get a win 10 option), CSM Support to Enabled and in Boot Mode Selection set to UEFI and Legacy or just UEFI.

When you first boot, and if I understand correctly this is a clean install and you are over writing your entire HDD or SSD, please confirm.

If you are, when you first boot with your media press shift and F10. then

diskpart
    List disk (find your target disk)
    select disk 0
    clean
    Convert gpt
    exit
    exit

This example assumes no other drives are connected and disk 0 is the target ssd or HDD. It wipes the disk, don't run if you data is on drive.

Proceed with install. Allow Window to set up partitions.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 17, 2017
  7. Brian925 Win User
    Ken, did everything you said and still getting the same error. When doing this I have all my other drives disconnected and in fact no USB's connected other than the mouse.

Brian925, Mar 17, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

First you have to know if the computer is going to run in UEFI mode or legacy BIOS (CSM) mode. UEFI needs the hard drive/SSD partitioned as GPT. Legacy BIOS (or CSM) requires the hard drive/SSD to be partitioned as MBR. Once I figure that out, I set the hard drive/SSD to GPT or MBR using the commands Caledon Ken gave.

For really stubborn installs that just won't work from USB flash drive or DVD, I then create a 6 GB FAT32 partition at the very end of the hard drive/SSD. Then I copy all the Windows 10 files and folders to the hard drive/SSD. I do this all using Kyhi's Recovery tools (booted into from a USB flash drive or DVD). Then run setup.exe from the hard drive/SSD and install Windows 10 to the allocated space remaining on the drive in front of the FAT32 partition I created at the end.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2017
  9. Could I ask, have you just tried the Media creator tool straight onto a 4 GB key. If you have just ignore this post.

Caledon Ken, Mar 17, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It probably requires an 8GB USB flash drive now as the current Media Creation Tool downloads a 4-version ISO with Windows 10 Home, Pro, Education and Enterprise on it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2017
  11. I haven't been able to use a 4 gig thumb drive for a while now, MCT rejects it as not having enough free space.

alphanumeric, Mar 17, 2017
  12. Brian925 Win User
    Heck, trying to download to a 16Gb usb drive and the media creation tool doesn't even see that. Tried formatting in both fat 32 and NTFS and neither works. This sucks.

Brian925, Mar 18, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You can just save the ISO file to the hard drive. Format the USB flash drive as FAT32. Mark the partition on the flash drive as active. Mount the saved ISO file. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive. Then I like to convert the flash drive to boot into Kyhi's recovery tools by taking the \Sources\boot.wim file from his ISO file and copying it over the \Sources\boot.wim file on the Windows 10 flash drive. It will boot into Kyhi's recovery tools, but you can still run Windows 10 setup by running setup.exe from the flash drive using file explorer in Kyhi's recovery tools.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

NavyLCDR, Mar 18, 2017
  14. Is it by chance a SanDisk? Some thumb drives show up as fixed disks instead or removable media. The MCT will reject them (not use them) if they show up as fixed disks.

alphanumeric, Mar 18, 2017
  15. alphanumeric, Mar 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Trying to do a clean install - Similar Threads - Trying clean install

2. Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop that came with Windows 11, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop that came with Windows 11, and...: HelloI bought a new laptop and it came with Windows 11, which I've gradually realised is not compatible with about 90% of the hardware and software I need to use for the work I want to do with it.I've read several guides on how to install Windows 10 instead, and have followed...
  3. Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop that came with Windows 11, and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop that came with Windows 11, and...: HelloI bought a new laptop and it came with Windows 11, which I've gradually realised is not compatible with about 90% of the hardware and software I need to use for the work I want to do with it.I've read several guides on how to install Windows 10 instead, and have followed...
  4. Cannot see HDD when trying to do clean install of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot see HDD when trying to do clean install of W10: doing a clean install for my mate he's just bought a HP Pavillion and wants a clean install I have the recovery media on USB laptop boots no problem from it however when getting to install page I see NO HDD see pic attached why is this? thoughts and advice please TIA Bart...
  5. Can’t do a clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t do a clean install: So I realize there are a lot of things I could have done better, but I’m hoping to salvage this situation. I recently upgraded my boot drive to an nvme ssd, but I was having issues with it not being detected when I’d put my PC into sleep mode. I wasn’t able to find a...
  6. I'm trying to do a clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm trying to do a clean install of windows: I plugged in the windows USB thing but don't know which one to boot from, which one is it http://imgur.com/a/0aV8nKs submitted by /u/DotzAbOt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iixr19/im_trying_to_do_a_clean_install_of_windows/
  7. Can't do clean install on SSD

Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599
  8. Doing a new Clean install..

Doing a new Clean install..: I'm about to do a clean install of Win10 again once I get my new SSD in the mail. I already have a image of the installation on a DVD from back when Win10 was just being available. Should I make an updated image from the media creation tool or is my old image ok to use?...
  9. Doing a clean install?

Doing a clean install?: Then your old OS will still be legal. Why not partition your hard drive and keep your old OS in case of problems? When I had a shop build my Win 7 desktop, I paid a little extra to have them install my legal copy of XP on a small partition. It ran some old software that...
  10. Trying to make a clean install of Windows ?!!

Trying to make a clean install of Windows ?!!: Hi guys, im trying to make a clean install of Windows 10 using the Clean all comand, after i did : diskpart list disk select disk clean all what should i do next, exit and leave the setup countinue, and i should format it from command promt ?! btw im in UEFI mode . 94061