Windows 10: trying to do the free upgrade

Discus and support trying to do the free upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Win 10 by clicking the icon in the tray by the clock. After clicking it a window appears telling me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by collieman, Feb 29, 2016.

1. collieman Win User

trying to do the free upgrade

I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Win 10 by clicking the icon in the tray by the clock. After clicking it a window appears telling me to wait. I have for over 24 hours and it does nothing. Tried several times but still the same thing. I gave up and downloaded the free ISO from Microsoft and burned it to a flash drive. The installation went fine. Everything works well EXCEPT it won't accept my product key from the sticker on the bottom of my laptop to activate. Never had a problem with the Win 7 activation using the key. Am I missing something? Thank you.

:)

collieman, Feb 29, 2016
  2. Arul_D Win User

Trying to get the free windows 10 upgrade on my personal laptop. While downloading it takes me to a page saying windows enterprise isn't free and I can choose the right windows for my business?

Hi Shell,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

What is the current version and operating system you are using?

If you’re on an Enterprise edition, the media creation tool and the Upgrade now button above won’t work for an upgrade. Please see the
    Volume Licensing Service Center for more information.

I suggest you to download ISO from the below link and check if it helps.

Get Windows 10

Download Windows 10

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Arul_D, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Trying to get the free windows 10 upgrade on my personal laptop. While downloading it takes me to a page saying windows enterprise isn't free and I can choose the right windows for my business?

* Original Title: Diverting to business page?

Trying to get the free windows 10 upgrade on my personal laptop. I click the link, it downloads something, I open it, it takes me to a page saying windows enterprise isn't free and I can choose the right windows for my business?

I don't have a business!!! anyone know why it's doing this?

ShellCarter, Feb 29, 2016
  4. ossie Win User

Did you UPGRADE or do clean install? Is it the latest version?

ossie, Feb 29, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Go to here and download this key finder for Windows, then check your key with the key this displays.
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Also make sure when you upgraded your OS that you upgraded with the SAME version you had originally Home for Home, Pro for Pro. If those are all correct, then sometimes you just might have to call Microsoft, and explain your problem.
    If your windows key was not legal, this would also be a reason too.

OldMike65, Feb 29, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    1. Your profile says " Win 10 9926 ". That's Insider Preview build and a very old one. It came out on Jan 25th, 2015. I assume you have updated to at least a newer build since then ?

2. Failure to activate probably because you did not pick the same Windows edition, or language, or bit version.

Please try again except this time use the Tech Bench link to download the ISO file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.

**** Backup all the files you want to keep first ****

Burn the ISO to a bootable media and do a Clean Install.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

You will be asked for a product key. Use the SKIP or the "I do not have a product key" option and continue.
    After installation is finished, you can then use your Win 7 key found at the bottom of your laptop to activate.

davidhk, Feb 29, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    collieman,

WAIT. Don't do what I asked you. Not yet.
    Please answer the follow question...........

You said " Never had a problem with the Win 7 activation using the key. "
    What key is that ? A Vista ? An XP ?

davidhk, Feb 29, 2016
  8. collieman Win User

Got it! I think. I'm waiting for updates now to see if they will kill the start menu , the ability to right click and kill the internet like I've seen before. It was me that didn't use the right version (home in this case) of the OS causing the problem. Activation was no problem. My thanks to you guys for your help.

collieman, Mar 1, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Glad to hear that you found the problem!!! Yes sometimes people forget and download the wrong version to upgrade. It happens. Take care, Mike. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. trying to do the free upgrade - Similar Threads - trying free upgrade

2. free upgrade??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade??: hi, i am considering upgrading to win 10 form my win 8. my pc meets requirements, but im wondering, if it will be free??.thank you fo reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade/f4e0762c-6cfd-4881-8b5e-f4824d403877
  3. free upgrade??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade??: hi, i am considering upgrading to win 10 form my win 8. my pc meets requirements, but im wondering, if it will be free??.thank you fo reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade/f4e0762c-6cfd-4881-8b5e-f4824d403877
  4. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  5. windows free upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows free upgrade: i got a free upgrade online and went from windows 7 to 10. cant activate it no key how can i fix this *** Email address is removed for privacy *** any answers will help...
  6. Free upgrade?

Free upgrade?: I had a feeling this would have been asked already, but did a quick search and nothing came up: I was under the impression that the window (no pun intended) to upgrade to Windows 10 had passed a long time ago, but there are videos on Youtube etc that suggest you can still...
  7. How do i upgrade my ram for free

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i upgrade my ram for free: like i can convert my hard space to ram i have 200gb of hard space or like i program that can help me boost my ram i have 2gb of ram becouse i need to play video games...
  8. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...
  9. free upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    free upgrade: do we know who long to expect the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8? will it be 29th? 8657
  10. I've tried two times to install this "free" upgrade

I've tried two times to install this "free" upgrade: I've tried two times to install this "free" upgrade. I run Windows 8.1, all updates are installed but for some reason it just fails. Now my machine won't boot normally if I need to "restart" it just hangs so I have to shut down and restart and it boots normally but the old...