Windows 10: Trying to downgrade the latest HP Bios

Discus and support Trying to downgrade the latest HP Bios in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. So i've been to the HP support forum and they are nice but so far haven't really been all that helpful. I'm still stuck. The issue is I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomseys, Mar 12, 2018.

1. tomseys Win User

Trying to downgrade the latest HP Bios

Hi. So i've been to the HP support forum and they are nice but so far haven't really been all that helpful. I'm still stuck.

The issue is I recently updated to the latest bios for my HP -15 laptop, F38 by insyde, and since I've done that the machine has gotten progressively slower and is running hotter - fan is on a lot. I'm not 100% sure it is the new bios but I've done a lot of other things - repair installs, going back to win 8.1 and back up to win 10 etc lots of fun and I'd like to give a downgrade of the bios a try to eliminate that as possible cause.

So on the hp site they have you download the bios file for your model laptop. You then double click it and it has an installer thing in it. It offers this:

Trying to downgrade the latest HP Bios [​IMG]

Since it is an older bios, one that I know works well for me, F25, it won't let you update it through windows which is the first choice. So I tried the next choice and you basically install the bios files to a usb flash drive. The next step is to turn off computer, put the flash drive in, press windows key + B and hold power for 3 seconds. Release the power and hold windows key and B until a bios utility comes on the screen. Another version of instructions has you release win key and B along with power at 3 seconds. No matter what I do though, nothing happens, no bios screen and no update of bios. Reading on the forum, this seems to be a common experience with people who have tried it. It's like it doesn't work. I tried different usb ports, usb drives... no difference.

Another option is to rollback the bios by pressing some keys. This doesn't work either though since it doesn't have the previous bios and only offers to reinstall F38. So I can't roll back.

If I press esc as the computer boots, there are a few options.. including system diagnostics and in there a firmware setting option. It looks like it offers a choice where you can point it to a bios to install but I don't know how to do that or if are any other ways to get the bios on.

I've tried also to put the most recent bios before F38 -f37, and same story. It's like it doesn't want you to do it and is blocking efforts. I know its an important update, it has the Spectre fix, but surely it there are problems there has to be some way to downgrade back down to an earlier bios?

:)

tomseys, Mar 12, 2018
  2. rseiler Win User

Critical_Process_Died - Windows 10-

Don't get too locked into MS providing the solution: for this error (coming out of sleep, in my case) with an HP Pavilion G6, the solution (as mentioned on the HP forum) turned out to be to
    downgrade the BIOS.

The "latest" BIOS (which wasn't really all that new itself) created this issue when using Win81 or Win10, but not Win7. For other models, perhaps updating the BIOS is what's in order. I'd check your vendor's forum to see if there are model-specific tips there.

rseiler, Mar 12, 2018
  3. No HDMI signal at all after installing Win 10 upgrade

"Upgraded to Win 10 software from ATI didn't solve the problem. Downgraded to older Win 7 drivers provided by HP, still no luck."

To be clear, I tried the latest versions of the drivers from Intel and ATI as well as the Win 7 and Win 8 versions. Interestingly, the Intel auto-detect was not able to detect any Intel products. Bios does not address the problem either.

Information Interactive, Mar 12, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  5. tomseys Win User
    Thanks Ed. I may post over there to see if they have any ideas. I wasn't able to get anything from the link you posted.

tomseys, Mar 12, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Sorry it didn't provide any relief for you. If the HP forums don't offer any solutions, you might try the BIOS forums over at Win-RAID.com (look for the Storage Drivers and BIOS Modding entry, then post into BIOS modding to ask for help: you may get lucky).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  7. tomseys Win User
    Thanks anyway Ed. I started a thread over at BC and no luck so far. It may really be locked since it is a critical update. My bad for updating to it so quickly. Anyway, if it is locked, maybe they will unlock in future or provide a better update. Disabling spectre protection on inspectre tool does improve perfomance (which i've read indicates it may be a problem with the bios update and windows update software interaction) so this is a workaround I guess. Thanks again!

tomseys, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to downgrade the latest HP Bios - Similar Threads - Trying downgrade latest

2. Can the BIOS be safely downgraded?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can the BIOS be safely downgraded?: I updated my BIOS today since it said it was "critical" Now, my trackpad is not working the same way. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-the-bios-be-safely-downgraded/ca8a12bb-dc18-475e-8075-2793dafd4025
  3. Can the BIOS be safely downgraded?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can the BIOS be safely downgraded?: I updated my BIOS today since it said it was "critical" Now, my trackpad is not working the same way. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-the-bios-be-safely-downgraded/ca8a12bb-dc18-475e-8075-2793dafd4025
  4. Bitlocker & BIOS downgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker & BIOS downgrade: Hi, After I was prompted to update my Windows 11 BIOS, the bitlocker screen came on and locked me from accessing my computer claiming that the recovery key was incorrect. Appreciate it if anyone out there have a better suggestion? I tried to downgrade the BIOS but my notebook...
  5. Bitlocker & BIOS downgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker & BIOS downgrade: Hi, After I was prompted to update my Windows 11 BIOS, the bitlocker screen came on and locked me from accessing my computer claiming that the recovery key was incorrect. Appreciate it if anyone out there have a better suggestion? I tried to downgrade the BIOS but my notebook...
  6. Downgrade Bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrade Bios: What will happen if i downgrade my ASUS laptop BIOS to the previous version?Is it harmful ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-bios/3b34a481-e0ab-4e12-a2f4-5a3357e5ddeb
  7. downgrade my bios

downgrade my bios: i am an win 10 user i want to download and install an old version of bios my current bios version is F.28 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-my-bios/55490a37-fab9-4da2-967f-276b35b23408
  8. downgrade my bios

downgrade my bios: i am an win 10 user i want to download and install an old version of bios my current bios version is F.28 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-my-bios/0f1c743d-4dfc-4b65-a352-4e88fc9b8ceb
  9. Downgrading My Bios

Downgrading My Bios: I Have An Windows 10 Pro Desktop I Cant Find Some Important Settings In My Current Bios Version F.28, So I Want To Downgrade My Bios To And Old Version So kindly Help Me...
  10. Trying to downgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to downgrade: Is there any way for me to downgrade without loosing everything on my c: drive? I saw the option but was unable to do it from the option in the settings because I updated more than 10 days ago submitted by /u/Okamiinfinity [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp spectre flash older bios

2. hp bios downgrade

3. downgrade bios hp

4. downgraded hp bios stuck at hp logo,
  5. hp laptop downgrade bios