Windows 10: trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use

Discus and support trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When I try to download a sent document or attachments from my emails, it will ask me what program I want to use to open it. Then if I use windows or... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by interfaith, Oct 5, 2016.

1. trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use

When I try to download a sent document or attachments from my emails, it will ask me what program I want to use to open it. Then if I use windows or notepad its all in technical jargon. I just updated to windows 10 but it was doing it before I updated. I also had an expired Word that I just reactivated

:)

interfaith, Oct 5, 2016

2. keeps asking what enhancement to use

likewise... just got me replacement e52. its a pain. I'm missing calls because of it ( it sets in my pocket to headset)...

any work around? i was going to buy a task manager and try kill that process

KrabbyPatty---01, Oct 5, 2016
  3. papa1983 Win User
    keeps asking what enhancement to use

my e 52 keeps asking me what enhancement do i want to use, it bothers me and i don't know how to stop it. some times it doesn't ask me for couple of weeks, and then when it starts, it does it every few seconds.pleaaaaase help me, it drives me nuts

papa1983, Oct 5, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use

I had a similar problem on a client's computer the other day and fixed hers by going into Control Panel [right-click Start] and working in the Default Programs feature. It fixed most problems but not an attachment to a message out of South Africa which with Outlook.com did open Word Online. Downloading the .docx file from a link in the message worked but Wordpad on her computer and also on mine showed no text in it while other word processors did, haven't figured that out yet.

Berton, Oct 5, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Did you try saving the Attachment to your HDD 1st then opening it ?

notepad would not be able to handle the formatting if it was a .DOC file , and it you tried to open a pic ( eg a .jpg) it will look like a bunch of scrambled info in Notepad.

Perhaps you Default File Associations are messed up?

Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums[1]=File%20Folder%20Settings

KB

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use

1. trying to download emailed doc keeps asking what program to use - Similar Threads - trying download emailed

2. W10 keeps asking for what program to open a file with

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 keeps asking for what program to open a file with: Hi, W10 randomly keeps asking what program to use to open a file, but the filetypes and programs are already associated and been working before. It even knows what's the program to use when asking for it. I need to confirm everything then it's ok for a while, until it...
  3. what the mean in docs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what the mean in docs?: i hava problems when i read docs of Microsoft Build and need help. Visual Studio C++ Microsoft Docs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-mean-in-docs/6b944122-1b47-4496-8f11-89287377c6bd
  4. what the mean in docs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what the mean in docs?: i hava problems when i read docs of Microsoft Build and need help. Visual Studio C++ Microsoft Docs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-mean-in-docs/6b944122-1b47-4496-8f11-89287377c6bd
  5. SRT files keeps asking me what program I want to use to open title changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SRT files keeps asking me what program I want to use to open title changed: I followed the directions below and Now when I download an SRT it just keeps asking me what program I want to associated with this file. I don't want a program to open this. How do I get it to stop asking me? If you cannot see file extensions already, go to Windows File...
  6. Can't view or download email attachments except for Microsoft docs

in Browsers and Email
    Can't view or download email attachments except for Microsoft docs: I am no longer able to view or downloads any attachments I receive on my Hotmail account with the exception of attachments that are Microsoft Office files. Can't view or download any PDF, WordPerfect Office files, or images: .jpg and png. This problem started last week. I...
  7. Program keeps trying to install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program keeps trying to install: I use this program Bruteforce save data its a program to edit ps3 save files I've been using it for years no problem, I go to use it today and run the shortcut it attempts to install the program I assumed it got uninstalled cuz I haven't used it in a month or so I quit the...
  8. Ask Permission - Need an Adult to use Firefox - Ask by email

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Ask Permission - Need an Adult to use Firefox - Ask by email: Repeatedly "ask by email" (using "child's" machine) and repeatedly selected "allowed" ("gave permission") to use the account, but it still doesn't work. Initially, it also alerted me to the need to update windows on the "child's" machine, which I did, but it still doesn't...
  9. cannot download and open doc from email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot download and open doc from email: cannot download and open doc from email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-and-open-doc-from-email/3579d8ee-619a-4ebf-b6b1-d521da36bb16"
  10. when I try to email a scanned doc it says "create an association in the default program...

in Windows 10 Customization
    when I try to email a scanned doc it says "create an association in the default program...: Windows Essentials 2012 suite reached end of support on January 10, 2017. As of January 10, 2017, Windows Essentials 2012 is no longer supported on Windows 10, and is unavailable for download so what email program do I download??...