Windows 10: Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

Discus and support Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now that I have Windows installed on a new SSD, I want to complete erase the old (second) hard drive and have the entire drive available as one drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AshleyQuick, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

Now that I have Windows installed on a new SSD, I want to complete erase the old (second) hard drive and have the entire drive available as one drive letter. I tried removing that system partition using diskpart but getting the following error:

Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.

Can someone help?

:)

AshleyQuick, Aug 24, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 24, 2018
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Newer systems with UEFI BIOS and hard disks formatted GPT do not use the legacy "Active" partition method for starting Windows. They use the Windows Boot Manager instead. So on your "correct drive" the C partition will not and should not be marked active.

If there is no data on the new (old) hard drive from your son's PC that you need to keep or have not backed up then you could try wiping the hard drive clean. This will also erase any partition flags that ,may be causing your problem.

To do this you can use Diskpart. The commands to type are:
    • List Disk > Enter
    (Review the disks to determine which disk is the one you want to erase. Be sure!! Note that disks number.)
    • select disk # > Enter (where # is the number you KNOW is the correct hard drive)
    • clean all > Enter (this starts the wiping process. This can take some time on a large disk. Go make dinner)

After this you will have a blank, unallocated, unformatted hard drive. When you start the system with this hard disk also attached it should go right into Windows (from "correct disk"). You can then use Disk Management to initialize and Format the drive, plus create any partitions.

If you have the same problem with the wiped disk then there is a hardware problem going on. Post back.

4. Dia01 Win User

Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

1. Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors) - Similar Threads - Trying erase system

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Erase hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Erase hard drive: I need to erase a hard drive on my laptop and reinstall windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-hard-drive/45337d3a-9570-4b8a-aa15-488949ed650a
  4. erase hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    erase hard drive: How can I erase whole of hard drive on Windows 10 laptop prior to disposal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-hard-drive/e89e3f53-c433-4515-aa27-9c38560c91f4
  5. erasing hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    erasing hard drive: F disk my hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erasing-hard-drive/688e342a-8849-47fa-a272-748eda47b9eb
  6. Partitioning Drives & Using the 2nd Partition for Programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitioning Drives & Using the 2nd Partition for Programs: Ok so, I have a 240GB SSD. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a fresh install of Windows 10, and Split the Partitions. Maybe have 20GB used for Windows 10, and use the other partition to install software. Would that be beneficial even though I have an SSD or is...
  7. Partitioning Drives & Using the 2nd Partition for Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitioning Drives & Using the 2nd Partition for Programs: Ok so, I have a 240GB SSD. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a fresh install of Windows 10, and Split the Partitions. Maybe have 20GB used for Windows 10, and use the other partition to install software. Would that be beneficial even though I have an SSD or is...
  8. Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 putting system files on 2nd hard drive: Windows 10 keeps putting system files on 2nd hard drive it is were I have my steam games installed it does this when installing updates or any Microsoft visual c++ software how do you stop it from doing that? 132037
  9. Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors)

Trying to erase system partition from 2nd hard drive (errors): Now that I have Windows installed on a new SSD, I want to complete erase the old (second) hard drive and have the entire drive available as one drive letter. I tried removing that system partition using diskpart but getting the following error: Delete is not allowed on the...
  10. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive: I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen...