Windows 10: Trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work

Discus and support Trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work on a new HP Envy with all the Win10 updates and now I'm trying it on my machine and so far no luck on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeteMc, Jun 22, 2016.

1. PeteMc Win User

Trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work

I trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work on a new HP Envy with all the Win10 updates and now I'm trying it on my machine and so far no luck on either one. Does the program really work???

I usually use Acrobat, but the owner of the other computer doesn't want to spend the money and doesn't need to encrypt or change the PDFs, they just needs to be able to create them.

Originally I got an error when I tried to print. But I followed the instructions in another thread and deleted the printer and then manually added it back in. (Existing Port = Print to File, Driver = Microsoft Print to PDF)

I've confirmed that Print to PDF is turned on in Windows, and I've turned it OFF and ON and rebooted a few times.

Per some other threads I've changed the Permissions to give everyone all the rights that were available and I've switched my default PDF reader to Edge (confirmed when I open an existing PDF that Edge launches).

But like others have said, I go through the Print function, give the PDF a name and then the box disappears and no PDF appears. I've also done a full search of the computer in case the file ended up in some unknown default folder.

So what gives? Is anyone able to use Microsoft Print to PDF? And if you've also always used Acrobat, give it a try and let me know if you can create a PDF directly from the included Print to PDF.

Thx

:)

PeteMc, Jun 22, 2016
  2. DhBlair Win User

Microsoft Print to PDF. Shows status "unable to connect".

I am trying to print to "Microsoft Print to PDF" in Windows 10. However, the printer shows a status of "unable to connect". This happens from any application I try to print from. Does anyone have a solution to get the Microsoft Print to PDF working?

DhBlair, Jun 22, 2016
  3. Outlook Calendar/ Contacts 'synch' with LG Windows 7 phone?

Ok, how. I thought I had everything set to synch (at least my calendar), but to get everything "up in the cloud" I went to Tools->account settings. You're saying I can make my email remain on my WORK domain by default, but change the "data files" to
    windows live (Cloud), thereby enabling my calendar and contacts to synch with the Phone (and with my other computers). I'll try it...but it would all have been much simpler with an Outlook synch option (My company doesn't use Exchange).

One remaining concern I have is what happens when I get a work invite into my calendar. If I accept it will it come from my work address or my personal address? I'm assuming it will come from my work address as that remains the default. However, I'm
    guessing I'll have to test it.

I think the one thing that is disappointing me the most is how much time I've had to spend to get this phone to work. Luckily I'm smart, because the phone isn't. It's been a real trial, and I'm starting to regret leaving my iphone. I still have a couple
    of more weeks....I really do want this to work. But it has to apply to my work and personal life (I'm not fancy enough to carry a work phone and a steppin' out phone).

Trying to Come back to MSFT, Jun 22, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Just tested it and it is working fine! If you go to Control panel and select "View devices and Printers" you can right click on "Microsoft Print to PDF" and try troubleshooting.

philc43, Jun 22, 2016
  5. PeteMc Win User
    I've already tried the trouble shooting.... In MS's usual wisdom, all they suggested was to make the the printer the default. (And I did try it just in case there was something wacky with the code, but it didn't help.)

I should also note that I did get it to print the original test page when manually reinstalling the printer. But immediately after that I could not get it to print from various programs or another test page from the preference page.

Very strange that it does not work on two unrelated (and one brand new) machines.

PeteMc, Jun 22, 2016
  6. PiKo Win User
    Is anyone able to use Microsoft Print to PDF? And if you've also always used Acrobat, give it a try and let me know if you can create a PDF directly from the included Print to PDF.

I am afraid that I have no solution to your problem. I have Acrobat X and now also MS print to pdf.
    I prefer the latter; you may use it to make a pdf (and later print it) of a Web page. MS print to pdf does that much better than my (old) version of Acrobat Pro.

7. PiKo Win User
    Did you do already a google search? It seems a hot topic. Part of the reactions attribute it to MS Edge. No idea why there should be a connection with Edge. After updating to W10 one of my first actions was disabling / de-installing Edge. Maybe, give that a try.

8. MSRadell Win User

Why not take the simple route and install a free PDF printer application such as Bullzip PDF? It's free, simple and uses very few resources. It's also got a lot more flexibility than the Microsoft PDF printer does.

MSRadell, Jun 23, 2016
  9. PeteMc Win User
    To PiKo... Yes, I've seen all the issues via a search. But what fixes I've found haven't worked. And since it is so prevalent, and I have the issue on two unrelated machines (old & new) I figured I'd reach out to MS since is sounds like a bug. After 20 minutes the guy was still trying to figure out what I was talking about, then the light went off in his head. "Oh, you know you can select different printers... Use the drop down box to select the MS Print to PDF and it will work." Really sad.

To MSRadell.... Yes, I probably am going to go with something like Bullzip. But it's really a shame that MS can't get this (to me) simple issue fixed. Either give anyone that questions it a download to a different PDF Printer and just tell them to remove the old one. Or in an update remove the bad one and put in a working one. It shouldn't be that tough of a fix for them (especially on new boxes direct from HP or any other major company).

PeteMc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to get Microsoft Print to PDF to work - Similar Threads - Trying Microsoft Print

2. MicroSoft Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MicroSoft Print to PDF stopped working: I have been using Microsoft Print to PDF for years to print parts of web pages, etc. Suddenly it has a problem. When I do what I have always done I get an error message " print preview error" and "an error occurred while printing". Then when I look at the folder where this...
  3. MicroSoft Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MicroSoft Print to PDF stopped working: I have been using Microsoft Print to PDF for years to print parts of web pages, etc. Suddenly it has a problem. When I do what I have always done I get an error message " print preview error" and "an error occurred while printing". Then when I look at the folder where this...
  4. MicroSoft Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working: "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not workingWhen I select "microsoft print to pdf" or "save as pdf" from various applications, that application hangs up and has to be aborted....
  6. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working: "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not workingWhen I select "microsoft print to pdf" or "save as pdf" from various applications, that application hangs up and has to be aborted....
  7. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft Print to PDF

Microsoft Print to PDF: The "Microsoft Print to PDF" shows as an available printer but doesn't work. The program is not listed as a Microsoft product when I search to restore it. Is it no longer supported for Windows 10? Why would it stop working?...
  9. Microsoft Print to PDF unable to work

Microsoft Print to PDF unable to work: Hi all, Microsoft Print to PDF is not working on my Windows 10 machine. When it prompts for filename, it will prompt twice, and the output file is 0 bytes. I have tried all methods which I found online, which includes: 1 Remove the printer, reboot, reinstall printer. 2...
  10. Microsoft print to pdf

Microsoft print to pdf: When I select the printer Microsoft Print to PDF, I want to be prompted for a file name and location to save it. I am thinking it has to be tied to a port "prompting" it, but the only port I see similar on my machine is tied to Microsoft XPS Document Writer. How can I set the...