Windows 10: Trying to get new Win 10 Laptop to share to drives on my Win 7 PC

Discus and support Trying to get new Win 10 Laptop to share to drives on my Win 7 PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My purpose, and my problem is: Windows 10 is a snob and will not SEE any of my Windows 7 devices for sharing or mapping. NOR will it show itself to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jagman, Oct 24, 2017.

1. jagman Win User

Trying to get new Win 10 Laptop to share to drives on my Win 7 PC

My purpose, and my problem is: Windows 10 is a snob and will not SEE any of my Windows 7 devices for sharing or mapping.
    NOR will it show itself to my Windows 7 PC/Laptop.

I have a Win 7 laptop, HP, and Win 7 HP Desktop and my new Win 10 Lenovo Laptop that will not talk to any Win 7 devices/PC/LAPTOP..

The Win 7 Desktop PC has attached 3 HD in addition to the boot. One “D” drive, internal, two USB. One of the USBs is called "network" (long story".). AND I need for my Win 10 Laptop to SEE/Share data with my Win 7 Desktop data.

Now to my new Lenovo Laptop with Win 10. IT would not recognize ANY Win 7 device, PC, USB, etc.

But on "Superuser" site I found a post with instructions to enter a "policy" to the Windows 10 Registry.

• Open Regedt32
    2.Expand the tree to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ policies \ system.
    3.Create a new key (Right click -> New -> choose “DWORD Value (32bit)”). 4.Name the key “LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy” and give it the value of “1”. Click OK.

It did then map to "ONE" USB HD on my Windows 7 "desktop" called "network" (name is long story.)

BUT, NOTHING ELSE.

QUESTION, IS IT DUE TO THE "VALUE "1" and not 2, 3...... Why it did just "one"??

Now my "network" (named) USB HD attached to my Win 7 Desktop , can be SEEN by my Win 10 Laptop

BUT not the OTHER USB HD attached to the Win 7 Desktop drives OR my internal "D" drive. Only ONE of the USBs.

STRANGE to accept only one of the three Win 7 Desktop HDs while rejecting the other two HD,: ONE INTERNAL, THE OTHER AN USB just like the one it accepts.

If I can not get my new Windows 10 Laptop to MAP/SHARE with Windows 7, I will be forced to revert Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 as using a flash drive to communicate is ridiculous..
    NOTE: Also strange is needing to FIX an issue NOT on a Windows GUI but having to modify the Registry constantly to fix Windows 10 as if Microsoft FORGOT lots of thing in 10 or did not include in their GUI to do something as simple as SHARING HD DRIVES ON A WIRELESS NETWORK ON THE SAME ROUTER between two OS so closely related.

I have turned off, Defender, etc just in case. But, do not want to operate this way without protection.

ANYONE SOLVED THE MAPPING, SHARING ON THE SAME PRIVATE NETWORK WIN 7 AND WIN 10 "TALKING"???

:)

jagman, Oct 24, 2017
  2. jagman55 Win User

DOES ANYONE know how to SHARE your home PCs, WITH YOURSELF and AVOID this useless CREDENTIAL LOGIN SCREEN?

I have 2 PCs, laptop & desktop, both Win 7. But just got a new laptop with Win 10.

I have spent HOURS on getting my new laptop setup because I can not access my older win 7 PCs with STD sharing in Win 7. I DO NOT want to copy all my PCs data to HD, install the HD on my new laptop, to copy, move data just because the CREDENTIALS THING
    IS SUCH A MYSTERY, COMPLICATED, WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS I CAN FIND THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL.

The Win '10 rejects and wants CREDENTIALS. NO HELP AVAIL, NO EXPLAIN WHAT IT WANTS.

It is said "if user names AND PASSWORDS are same it will not show this &^*@#@$% CREDENTIAL SCREEN.
    BUT, Win 7 uses regular Letters/symbols/NAMES in those field but, Win 10 INSIST I USE A PIN, MICROSOFT ACCT, pins imply numbers,etc and I do not want my PW to be just NUMBERS.

SURELY, there is a way to do simple sharing, on same private homegroup network, to do SIMPLE SHARING and access to your home PSs.

SURELY there is a video, POST, etc, to explain this CREDENTIALS CRAP? How to satisfy Windows with WHAT IT is asking for and wants?

My only thing I can do now is get OFF Win 10, go back to 7 as I KNOW HOW IT works, but I tried 10 already but had to back to 7 for many reasons that 10 caused multiple problems.

Win 10 IS FASTER, BUT, not worth the grief if I want to work on my PCs instead of trying all the time figuring what 10 WANTS.

The transition from XP to VISTA, to 7 was easy, to 10 NIGHTMARE.

jagman55, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Upgraded desktop PC from Win 7 to Win 10. After a month of running with no issues the PC failed to boot.

My Lenova PC with new hard drive and 16 MB RAM was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and ran fine for about 6 weeks. One morning it failed to boot. Attempted to repair using instructions on screen and contacting MS help desk. Answer from MS tech: revert back
    to WIN 7. Had no WIN 7 OS CD so took to repair shop. They were not successful either. I bought a WIN 7 laptop due to life change to camper and shop transferred data from PC hard drive. Now I get upgrade recommendations to WIN 10 but am afraid I'll break
    this one also.

Has anyone else had this PC failure to boot issue from WIN 7 to WIN 10?

JohnWatkins46, Oct 24, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Trying to get new Win 10 Laptop to share to drives on my Win 7 PC [​IMG]

On the laptop, browse via File Explorer, click on Home Group on the left pane. Change the location of the computer. Agree to let other computers share with this computer. This will change the WiFi network from Public to Private Network

Go to Advanced Sharing.
    Check to see if the Private Network Sharing items are checked

Go to Computer Name Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup name?

spunk, Oct 24, 2017
  5. jagman Win User
    My settings are the same as yours EXCEPT (I always use these) but My Window sharing under PRIVATE is missing the last one:

"password protected option" is not there under "private". When it was, I have, like your "off"

jagman, Oct 24, 2017
  6. jagman Win User
    group name, yes. did that in Win 7 too. Avoids confusion. I am the only user.

jagman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Trying to get new Win 10 Laptop to share to drives on my Win 7 PC - Similar Threads - Trying Laptop share

2. sharing between win 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing between win 10 and 7: hello, i wanna ask how can i access my win 7 shared folder form my win 10, i heard microsoft has removed homegroup from win 10 with no warning, also i cant access my shared printers as well, my win 10 version is Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 20H2 Installed...
  3. Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7

Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7: I have Windows Media Center set up on Win 7 on one machine. When I got to Network on the 10 machine, the 7 machine is listed, as well as all the drives on it. When I try to open any folder is says I don't have permission to access it. Everything I can find is set to share...
  4. No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop

No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop: About 4 weeks ago I found I could no longer access any Win 10 folders from my Win 7 PC or Win 7 laptop. I have done the following to try to resolve this. 1) On Win 7 machines. deleted mapped drives and tried to re-map them – Failed, could not even see the Win 10 Laptop when...
  5. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  6. Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer: Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace the mobo I figured why not just get her an 8th gen I3? I soon figured out that those 8th gen processors don't play nicely...
  7. Installing new Laptop (Win 10), TRYING to share with older Win 7 PCs

Installing new Laptop (Win 10), TRYING to share with older Win 7 PCs: Last week, I had some hair until I tried to setup and share my new Lenovo (Win 10) with my old DESKTOP and LAPTOP (Win 7). All in my home, same router, I am only user, same Network except, the laptops are wireless, same network name, and the DESKTOP is hard wired all same...
  8. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  9. Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10

Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10: Hello all, I am trying to share my files, mainly documents and pictures between my (3) laptops. On my 2 laptops running Windows 7 this is not a problem, but I am unable to share between Win. 7 and Win. 10. I can startup the homegroup, it will recognize the other device on...
  10. Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing

Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing: I have one Windows 7 computer on my network that shares a license to the other windows 10 computers. I have been over everything ensuring that share options on both ends are correct. Most of the time all the computers can connect and use the license after the Win 10 PC gets...