Windows 10: trying to go back to windows 7, but having issues verifying key

Discus and support trying to go back to windows 7, but having issues verifying key in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; my client had win 7, upgraded to 10, then experienced the dreaded blinking cursor a few days later. even though there is a windows.old directory, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by berbes, Oct 29, 2015.

1. berbes Win User

trying to go back to windows 7, but having issues verifying key

my client had win 7, upgraded to 10, then experienced the dreaded blinking cursor a few days later. even though there is a windows.old directory, it won't allow me to go back to an earlier build. so, i figured i could get the serial off the machine and just reinstall win 7, but when i went to microsoft for verification, it did not take the serial, referring to it as an upgraded install serial.

?!?

did upgrading change his initial product key? does that mean i have to find a OEM windows 10 disc and retry install? is his chance to go back to win 7 gone forever? can i re-layer another 10 install over things to get the machine to boot again?

thanks for this help!

:)

berbes, Oct 29, 2015

2. Trying to go back to windows 7 from 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to find rollback option on Windows 10.

I would like to inform that once you complete the time period of 30 days after upgrading to Windows 10, the rollback option will be removed even if you have Windows.old folder.

Do let us know what is the exact issue you are facing on Windows 10 as you are willing to rollback to previous operating system?

If you wish to rollback to previous operating system you will have to perform factory reset on Windows 10 or perform clean installation of the previous operating system.

Before performing any of those, it is recommended to take a backup of all your content on the current operating system.

To reset your current operating system to factory settings refer to the section:
    Restore factory settings from Recovery options in Windows 10

Also, refer to Go back to your previous version of Windows from the article and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Trying to go back to windows 7 from 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for responding.

Do let us know if you have logged in with the same user account that you created while upgrading to Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the below article by J W Stuart and check if it helps.

How to recover / restore your previous version of Windows using the Rollback feature

Also, provide us the screen shot of this issue to check if the option is present and disabled.

Refer the below article by Shawn to add screen shot in your post.

How to include a screenshot in your post

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

You may have to Call MS, it is an easy automated process, takes about 5 minutes. Or you may have to use an OEM Disk.

5. berbes Win User
    berbes, Oct 29, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I am not sure that will work with an OEM DVD. I have done it with Retail, many times.

Oh and about calling MS when I did it, on the error pop up it gave the phone number.

8. Ztruker Win User

If he had Win 7 there should be a COA sticker on the case. Is that the key being used?

Open a Command Prompt, run "SLUI 4.EXE" and follow the wizard to activate Windows 7 by phone.

Note the space between SLUI and 4.EXE.

This will provide you with phone numbers you can call to help with activation problems.

Ztruker, Oct 30, 2015
  9. If you haven't done anything yet, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html should show you your current key and the original Windows 7 key. Keep in mind that if this was a factory OEM-SLP install, the Windows 7 key you find will not work with regular install media. It will let you install but will not activate. OEM-SLP keys are blocked from online activation. OEM-SLP installs activate against the SLIC table in the BIOS. To reinstall with regular Windows 7 install media you need the code on the COA sticker. If you can't see it, remove the battery and look there. If you have done the free upgrade and activated, you can now clean install That same version of Windows 10. Just click skip when asked for a product code. That PC will have a digital entitlement on record on the activation server and should activate with no issues. You can get install media here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. trying to go back to windows 7, but having issues verifying key - Similar Threads - trying having issues

2. go back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    go back to windows 7: go back to windows 7 option missing , i have the windows.old and the option still missing ,why???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/go-back-to-windows-7/91fe30f1-5d91-418c-abda-8299db5c7743
  3. Trying to go back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to go back to windows 7: So I'm having way too many issues with windows 10 and I looked it up and it was an error with the upgrade. So I'm trying to update the product key back to the windows 7 key that's on the bottom of the laptop. It's giving me the error code 0xc004f050 and I don't know what to...
  4. Trying to go back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to go back to windows 7: So I'm having way too many issues with windows 10 and I looked it up and it was an error with the upgrade. So I'm trying to update the product key back to the windows 7 key that's on the bottom of the laptop. It's giving me the error code 0xc004f050 and I don't know what to...
  5. Trying to go back to windows 7

6. Going back to windows 7

Going back to windows 7: Hello, wondering can anyone tell me how to go back to windows 7, my laptop is 10 years old and its has updated to 10 and I want to go back, any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks....
  7. Go back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Go back to windows 7: After the recent update, my pc keeps freezing for no reason. I looked up for solutions but I only find that you should update your windows etc. So I did. It still runs like sh*****t and still freezes. I am really sick of this ridiculous situation because all of my work are on...
  8. Going Back To Windows 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Going Back To Windows 7: I have had Windows 10 on my new PC for nearly two years and I hate it, It keeps crashing or stalling or does not what it's supposed to do or things go missing and I have to download apps to get stuff back with every update and yet again it as crashed with the last one two...
  9. go back to windows 7

go back to windows 7: I know how to do it, what I don't know is, how to remove your account. it says, before I can revert back to windows 7, I have to remove my account. but how? I am the only account in my computer. should I make another? what if the system tell me to remove it too? this is...
  10. Trying to go back to windows 7

Trying to go back to windows 7: I followed the instructions but it's telling me I have to uninstall my user accounts. I have not created any new accounts, these have a lot of info and pictures I don't want to delete. I can see the windows 7 files are still on my computer as well. I'm beyond frustrated. 24133